New Hotels

richyb83

A MESSAGE FROM THE DDD
marriottgroundbreakingpressrelease2_emai
img-spacer.gif
Marriott breaks ground!
260 third street

Windsor Aughtry Hotel Group held a groundbreaking ceremony today to mark the start of construction on a new eight-story, 135-room Courtyard by Marriott hotel and Starbucks at 260 Third Street in Downtown Baton Rouge. The hotel is set for a late 2017 opening, as construction is expected to last 16 months. The Courtyard by Marriott is the second new hotel on the diverse Third Street corridor, and is situated on the former site of Hotel Istrouma, Baton Rouge's first hotel. Please see the links below for the official Press Release and Fact Sheet.

img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif Press Release >> img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif Fact Sheet >> img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
A MESSAGE FROM THE DDD
watermarknowopen4_emailheader.jpg
img-spacer.gif
the Watermark hotel
now open!

The Downtown Development District welcomes the opening of The Watermark Hotel, a 144 room boutique hotel on Historic Third Street. The Watermark Hotel, a high-end brand of the Marriott hotel family, features various amenities including two restaurants, extensive artwork, and meeting rooms within the historic renovation of the original 1925 Louisiana National Bank building. The Gregory Restaurant is now open and serving American tavern style breakfast, lunch, and dinner, while Milford's on Third, a kosher-style deli, is expected to open in early November. Visit the links below to book your reservation in this extraordinary hotel located in the heart of downtown on Third Street.

Check out the Diversity of Development on Third Street graphic - an illustration of the wide range of new businesses along the corridor - at the link below.

img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif watermark br >> img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif development map >> img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif

• 1 month later...

* At Night the "Watermark" Sign w "bright lit-up" letters looks Fantastic on top of the hotel...bet it's easily viewable from the I-10 Bridge; also the Logo light into the side adds extra flair!    * 135 room Courtyard by Marriott is moving dirt on Third Street.... 

* Candlewood Suites (81 rooms)  has just opened on Bankers Ave near College Drive ...a top the elevated  fault line makes it barely viewable from I-10.......* The hip Home 2 Suites by Hilton (94 rooms)  is about to open off Siegen Lane near Academy Sports

BR's Tallest Hotel the Marriott (I-10/College Dr) is getting a nice much needed renovation...the new sigh will soon go up...always liked seeing the high-rise hotel coming around the 10/12 split giving the appearance you are entereing a larger city...

Latest on Baton Rouge Marriott facelift: new signage, larger rooms and restaurant

https://www.businessreport.com/article/latest-baton-rouge-marriott-facelift-new-signage-larger-rooms-restaurant

If i had my choice/wish...a new Convention Center Hotel along the Riverfront would take the Title as BR's Tallest Hotel...the design might look something like this

Image result for omni san diego

Edited by richyb83

On 10/30/2016 at 2:01 PM, Antrell Williams said:

I haven't stayed at either, never quite had a reason to but the Watermark really does improve the street activity. I underestimated what it would do, and that block will only be more impressive once the retail under The Onyx opens.

Having been down there recently, I can attest to this. The street activity has picked up and it has dramatically improved the area...can't wait for more stuff on that street.

I also hope the Another Broken Egg opens soon. That will do wonders to bring more people down to that part of downtown.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like its going to be a tight fight

New hotel planned for Citiplace Court

Hotel developer Jay Patel is planning to acquire the former Koto of Japan restaurant at 2526 Citiplace Court and construct a new hotel on the site.

Pinu Patel, the project’s general contractor, says it is hoped that construction on the hotel—which will fly the Tru by Hilton flag—will begin in the spring. An application for the construction of the planned four-story, 50,778 square-foot hotel was filed on Dec. 29.

Tru is a brand of Hilton Worldwide. It launched in 2016 and represents the hotel chain’s re-entry into the midscale hotel market. The brand is intended to appeal to millennials, according to published reports.

https://www.businessreport.com/article/new-hotel-planned-citiplace-court

Image I pulled from Google

Tru-By-Hilton-Cheyenne-Wyoming.jpg

map.png

• Like 1

That's a glut of hotels in the area...& the demand is there? (Candlewood Suites recently opened nearby) A little surprising... but glad to hear!    Smaller hip business hotels the newest trend...wonder what hotel is headed to Bennington Ave?

This location for Tru hotel couldn't seem to keep any restaurant afloat for too long...

Probably never was going to happen.... North/South Corporate/Constitution Ave connector w Overpass would be a tight fit...business or two & some houses would be affected

Thanks for the visuals Dan :shades:

• 1 month later...

I appreciate the look they were going for and what they were trying to do but like Cajun said the Marriott reno looks ugly. Well I don't think he used those words so if not I'll say I think it's ugly. It looks like a nondescript cookie cut high rise from a developing nation now.

• Like 1

What changes would y'all have suggested? Value y'alls opinions.... yeah the structure was built in the mid 70's?

Got mixed feelings on the revamped Marriott .....at 1st liked the dark glass....but not much a fan of the chocolate milk looking brown paint...not sure what to think abt the mid section with the windows cut-out? of white panelling ..does it give the illusion of being more vertical??

Will have to check it out at night again...may need to make a phone call....when your the city's Tallest hotel ...gotta be impressive at night or what's the point?<_< When people are coming from the East/10-12 Split make the turn it's striking seeing something 20+ stories tall...they get the feel the are entering into a bigger city.

On the other hand....... The Watermark on Third did an outstanding job ....looks fantastic at night :thumbsup:

Edited by richyb83