New Hotels

richyb83

New hotel under construction at I-12, Sherwood exit in Baton Rouge

Construction has started on a 52-room Baymont Inn by Wyndham near the Interstate 12-South Sherwood Forest exit.

The two-story hotel at 11255 Boardwalk Drive is an economy property, with rooms renting for an average of $79 a night, said Pinu Patel, whose company, Patel Construction is building the property. The hotel should be open by July, Patel said.

This will be the first Baymont Inn in Baton Rouge. There are locations in Marrero, Lafayette, Houma, Shreveport, Lake Charles, Sulphur and Alexandria.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_01853b94-df7c-11e7-868c-af62e3d638c0.html

On 12/13/2017 at 8:14 AM, dan326 said:

New hotel under construction at I-12, Sherwood exit in Baton Rouge

Construction has started on a 52-room Baymont Inn by Wyndham near the Interstate 12-South Sherwood Forest exit.

The two-story hotel at 11255 Boardwalk Drive is an economy property, with rooms renting for an average of $79 a night, said Pinu Patel, whose company, Patel Construction is building the property. The hotel should be open by July, Patel said.

This will be the first Baymont Inn in Baton Rouge. There are locations in Marrero, Lafayette, Houma, Shreveport, Lake Charles, Sulphur and Alexandria.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_01853b94-df7c-11e7-868c-af62e3d638c0.html

They still make 2 story hotels??  :rolleyes:  The glut of new hotel rooms in this city is pretty impressive.

4-floor (119 room)  Tru by Hilton in Citi Place construction has been moving quickly

There are plenty  of hotels on Siegen Lane North of I-10 now.  The new  Home 2 Suites by Hilton looks pretty cool :shades:

BTW...Congrats Dan on your 4,000th Post..appreciate all the contributions!  :thumbsup:

Edited by richyb83

3 hours ago, richyb83 said:

They still make 2 story hotels??  :rolleyes:  The glut of new hotel rooms in this city is pretty impressive.

4-floor (119 room)  Tru by Hilton in Citi Place construction has been moving quickly

There are plenty  of hotels on Siegen Lane North of I-10 now.  The new  Home 2 Suites by Hilton looks pretty cool :shades:

BTW...Congrats Dan on your 4,000th Post..appreciate all the contributions!  :thumbsup:

Thanks! Didn't even realize I made it that high!

• 4 weeks later...

No , this isn't Austin TX at 8-floors...But in what used to be a small parking lot; it's a nice addition!  The old Istrouma Hotel once stood there long ago...it's only fitting another Hotel would go in it's place!

A MESSAGE FROM THE DDD
marriott_toppingout2.jpg
img-spacer.gif
Courtyard by Marriott
Topping Out Ceremony

You are cordially invited to attend the topping out ceremony celebrating completion of vertical construction of the:
Courtyard by Marriott Baton Rouge Downtown

The ceremony/reception will be held at the Downtown Development District Office, 247 Florida Street, Thursday, January 11, 2018, at 4pm.

Hard hat tours will be conducted at the conclusion of the ceremony.
Please join us!

img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif Invitation >> img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif fact sheet >> img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2018 at 10:28 AM, mr. bernham said:

Really completes that side of the block. Great addition to that area of Downtown. If only we could get some better restaurants and maybe some company's to this end of downtown. Give it some life.

Downtown has really turned out to be a success story.   Hopefully the progress continues.    We could use a signature hotel tower, and I maintain that SPG has almost no presence in the area.    Would be a good place for a Westin or Sheraton.    Hard for them to claim to be a competitor to Hilton or Marriott when they have no answer for the Hilton (Capital House, Hampton Inn)  or Mariott (Courtyard, Watermark) or IHG (Holiday Inn Express)?

Edited by cajun
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Work set to begin this summer on Element hotel in medical corridor

140-bed Element by Westin hotel will be built on Summa Avenue beginning this summer.

This will be the first Element hotel in Louisiana. There are 65 locations of the environmentally friendly, green conscious hotels open or under development across North America, in cities such as Houston, Dallas and Austin, Texas, and Huntsville, Alabama.

The Element hotel will be an extended-stay property, with the rooms spread across five stories. The hotel will feature a fitness center, pool and meeting room.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_c3b27c58-0151-11e8-be4e-335091890289.html

Here's a pic I pulled from Google of a typical looking one.

Image result for element hotel

• Like 1

Cool Dan :thumbsup:  Thanks for posting..when i saw it wondered if i should put this in the  Health District thread ....Would like to see the entire Site plan for the large swath of land btwn Summa Ave & I-10.  Five -floors should make it a little more visible than Four.

Somehow the new Element by Westin will tie into Dantin / Bruce's mixed-use development adjacent to the new Children’s Hospital under construction. That project will feature office and retail space along with apartments.   Hope it is done right...those renderings have my hopes up.

Wonder what new hotel is planned for the Grove east of Bluebonnet?

Edited by richyb83

Hmmm...not exactly sure of the location....Business Report mentioned the slow pace of work on infrastructure projects in the health district—including Midway Boulevard and Dijon Drive—has delayed the Hotel project.  So it sounds like somewhere close to Children's Hospital.  How close is it to Towne Place Suites?

Stinks that tract of land behind Copelands is still vacant...the proposed 8-story Summa Tower will live in infamy...almost anything else there would be a disappointment.

• 2 weeks later...

Starwood Hotel Brands  are basically absent in the downtown Baton Rouge market.   

I'd like to see a new 250-300 room Sheraton like this one somewhere near River Road and Florida:

image.jpg

And maybe something like this new Element by Westin in either downtown east or (more likely) the Water Campus area:

image.jpg

Element may not expand in Baton Rouge for a while since they are opening up in the medical center area.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

That Sheraton is a beautiful looking hotel:shades: ....but hoping your post(BR Development thread) where you bet a 15-story hotel would be the next tall high-rise for downtown BR would come to fruition instead.  :thumbsup:  That location at Florida St/River Rd. deserves something more vertical.....or On top of a multi-level parking deck(possibly at River Center?)

Back when Downtown unbelievably had ZERO HOTEL Rooms (for 8 years?)...the Goal was to one day hit 1,000 room mark for Conventions...It Will soon be 1, 174 rooms....

I can't see  new hotels for Downtown BR for a while(hope i'm wrong) ....think it has reached a saturation point by now? Not sure of the occupancy rates %% these days??

The new Watermark(144 rooms); soon to be opened Courtyard by Marriott (135 rooms?); Hotel Indigo(91 rooms?); Hilton Capitol Center(290-rooms); Hampton Inn (137 rooms) ; Holiday Inn Express (89 rooms) & The Belle (288 rooms)

This was the proposed/failed mixed-use 26-story Laurel Plaza was supposed to be built in the 90's at that location...the giant vacant parking lot covering that entire block is just not attractive

image.png.c988b51acbc0bdde53a2e6ad24c2b407.png

This was an old sketch up i did a long time ago w old ...... what i had  thought River Place at 30-36 stories (left) could fit into the Skyline....(middle) was II City Plaza at 16-17 floors before being downgraded to 12.....& (right) was the new Courthouse at North Blvd Town Square....

image.png.4704d1cdc935b5c26a15012ca88bd673.png

I'd like that Element at the Water Campus/ (dream River District) area....maybe an A loft(Starwood brand)  could work?

Wonder what new hotel will go up at The Grove; near the new Oschner center??

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

I'm not really as concerned with building height....but I would like to see these plots developed into office, hotel, and residential over the next 10 years:

Postimg.png

I'd be fine with 6-10 stories.   

In fact, if I could design a city from the ground up, very few buildings that are not mixed use would be higher than 8 floors.   Almost nothing would take up an entire city block.   Few roads would be wider than 3 lanes.    

Edited by cajun
  • Like 3

I like the 6 - 10 story buildings as much as anybody too..hopefully we will see some more new  construction!  Sure would be nice to see the parking block at Florida St /River Rd location!   

Would BR be ready for something this contemporary like this Mid Rise??  This might work on North Blvd for the Greenway/Promenade (in your Red box few blocks east of II City Plaza)

image.thumb.png.099e3a89dda606295091ee081f5af134.png

But I have always wanted to see One High Rise along the Riverfront; BR deserved this.....at the next block to the north of your location; River Place had my hopes up for years...since Bernhard bought the property for Preis I'll hold out some hope even though it's probably a long shot.

I'd just like to see a new landmark signature Mixed-use High-rise tower in the CBD /4th Street corridor( too many surface parking lots)...Something STRIKING for the Skyline that you see above the tree-lines from a few miles away.   :shades:   >>>Nothing has been built Taller than 12-stories in BR since the late 80's....have had my moments of withdraws LOL

The Red Box you outlined Laurel at 5th  had several proposals...Laurel Tower was to have about 9-10 levels of parking w Regions Bank HQ's & residential on top...that fell thru...some silly Brownstones were then slated for the tract...Fell thru too.....

THIS was ANOTHER proposal i saw for this location....But can't FIND it..will post here when i do...was 5-floors i think

6 hours ago, richyb83 said:

I like the 6 - 10 story buildings as much as anybody too..hopefully we will see some more new  construction!  Sure would be nice to see the parking block at Florida St /River Rd location!   

Would BR be ready for something this contemporary like this Mid Rise??  This might work on North Blvd for the Greenway/Promenade (in your Red box few blocks east of II City Plaza)

image.thumb.png.099e3a89dda606295091ee081f5af134.png

But I have always wanted to see One High Rise along the Riverfront; BR deserved this.....at the next block to the north of your location; River Place had my hopes up for years...since Bernhard bought the property for Preis I'll hold out some hope even though it's probably a long shot.

I'd just like to see a new landmark signature Mixed-use High-rise tower in the CBD /4th Street corridor( too many surface parking lots)...Something STRIKING for the Skyline that you see above the tree-lines from a few miles away.   :shades:   >>>Nothing has been built Taller than 12-stories in BR since the late 80's....have had my moments of withdraws LOL

The Red Box you outlined Laurel at 5th  had several proposals...Laurel Tower was to have about 9-10 levels of parking w Regions Bank HQ's & residential on top...that fell thru...some silly Brownstones were then slated for the tract...Fell thru too.....

THIS was ANOTHER proposal i saw at this location.   40 @ Fifth ...But can't FIND pic....it was 5-floor w roof top deck

Edited by richyb83

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^^(Pictured above) ^^ New Courtyard by Marriott (135 rooms) on Florida St. @ Third is scheduled to Open   in time for the Louisiana Tech game

New downtown Baton Rouge hotel to open by mid-September

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_594ee718-9fdd-11e8-9168-07e8efff841b.html

Edited by richyb83

• 1 month later...

Thanks Dan...

Love this location!! Opening at the perfect time with Ole Miss this weekend ; Georgia & Alabama coming to BR soon...Area Hotels  should be filled to the brim!  Like the Courtyard sign on the side corner above Third Street/Florida intersection! AND Check out 2nd pic....a SIGN on TOP too?? Can't wait to see that light up at night!!:w00t:

A MESSAGE FROM THE DDD
courtyardmarriott_nowopen_emailheader2.j
img-spacer.gif
Opening Today!
courtyard marriott, 260 Third Street

Located on an iconic corner and former site of the first hotel in the city, the Courtyard Marriott opens at noon today! This new 135 room hotel offers guests a full service restaurant and bar, luxury lounge (perfect for watching the game), 1,400 sq. ft. meeting space, and much more.

Join us downtown at the corner of 5th and Florida Streets tonight at 8:15PM as we light the Courtyard Marriott rooftop sign!

courtyardmarriott_sign_bodyimage.jpg

Starbucks Now Open!
A full service Starbucks Coffee is also open on the ground floor of the new Courtyard Marriott. Entrance to the restaurant faces Third Street. Starbucks will be open 7 days a week.

starbucks_emailbody.jpg

img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif marriott >> img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif starbucks >> img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

Usually I'd think this is cool but I'm still mad they shutdown my On the Border.  :tw_angry:

New hotel could replace On the Border restaurant in Baton Rouge's Citiplace site.

Plans to build a 117-room Home2 Suites by Hilton hotel in Citiplace, at the site where On The Border restaurant was located, are set to go before the city-parish Planning Commission in November.

Ricky Patel of Divi Hospitality, a Broussard-based hotel operator, said the Home2 Suites will be similar to the one that has operated off Siegen Lane for a couple of years. “This will be an all-suites hotel, with a kitchenette in every room,” he said.

Construction is expected to start by the end of the year, open by late 2019-early 2020, Patel said. Rooms will have an average rate between $129 and $149 a night.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_d15ce01a-c680-11e8-a038-3f7ef166dd46.html

Thanks Dan...was going to post this earlier...Stinks that those restaurants are going away one by one....How many Hotels are really needed? (Always wondered how they determined this?)

Next door 119-room Tru by Hilton is nearly complete; (was Pelican House the one that was torn down?); looks like this new 117-room Home 2 Suites will be a near  NEAR CARBON COPY at 4 floors.

Not very impressed with the layout of  CitiPlace  ...seems it needs a complete "Do Over"...  if i had a blank canvas ; not sure exactly how the lay out would be?? Movie Tavern would be abutting Barnes & Noble; w bowling alley

Further down Corporate Blvd.... Esplanade is struggling; Melting Pot is closing & the Big space next to Clicks Billiard is still vacant. Seems like that area would have been prime location for a Dave & Buster's?

Thanks Dan...was going to post this earlier...Stinks that those restaurants are going away one by one....How many Hotels are really needed? (Always wondered how they determined this?)

Next door 119-room Tru by Hilton is nearly complete; (was Pelican House the one that was torn down?); looks like this new 117-room Home 2 Suites will be a near  NEAR CARBON COPY at 4 floors.

Not very impressed with the layout of  CitiPlace  ...seems it needs a complete "Do Over"...  if i had a blank canvas ; not sure exactly how the lay out would be?? Movie Tavern would be abutting Barnes & Noble; w bowling alley

Further down Corporate Blvd.... Esplanade is struggling; Melting Pot is closing & the Big space next to Clicks Billiard is still vacant. Seems like that area would have been prime location for a Dave & Buster's?

That area needs to turn into an urban neighborhood connected to mid-city through more pedestrian and bike infrastructure. A less expensive Perkins Rowe, maybe with a large park in the middle or along I-10. Seems you could add value to the property by putting storefronts directly on Corporate Blvd, adding sidewalks, shade trees, and bike lanes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That would be cool  to see a thriving  Mid City connect to BR's version of "Uptown"(a thread Antrell made many moons ago) .....the large Wittier? undeveloped  property is a nice blank canvas....Horse ranch still there; maybe implement some Horse trails meandering the periphery of the new neighborhood(see Anaheim Hills CA/Ocala FL) ....this could make for some Serious Synergy!

19 hours ago, Antrell Williams said:

That area needs to turn into an urban neighborhood connected to mid-city through more pedestrian and bike infrastructure. A less expensive Perkins Rowe, maybe with a large park in the middle or along I-10. Seems you could add value to the property by putting storefronts directly on Corporate Blvd, adding sidewalks, shade trees, and bike lanes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Like 1