New Hotels

richyb83

Another new hotel for Constitution Avenue.

The owners of the Holiday Inn Select are planning on building a 143-room full-service hotel nearby. Executive Hotel Management has filed documents with the city-parish Planning Commission to build the facility on Constitution Avenue, but did not identify the brand of the hotel. The company bought the 4-acre site in September for $3.4 million and said it planned on using the property for spillover Holiday Inn parking and for possibly another hotel. A 127-room Cambria Suites is currently under construction at Constitution and Bunker Hill avenues. In addition to the Cambria Suites and Holiday Inn Select, Constitution Avenue is already home to an Embassy Suites, Comfort Inn and Hampton Inn. --Timothy Boone

All these hotels going up, do we have the demand here in the Capital City? And just why are none of these people building one downtown? They could at least put a more moderately priced hotel downtown to give people who want to stay down there more of an option than the Sheraton or Hilton. I think something like a Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn would do quite well close to the RiverCenter.

All these hotels going up, do we have the demand here in the Capital City? And just why are none of these people building one downtown? They could at least put a more moderately priced hotel downtown to give people who want to stay down there more of an option than the Sheraton or Hilton. I think something like a Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn would do quite well close to the RiverCenter.
o

I see what your saying...i asked my self that question to aout hotel chains not investing into downtown

well Yes....it is a demand for hotels.....Baton Rouge Is becoming a major city before your eyes...and with LSU and SU...football gettin more and more popular every year...u gotta plan ahead....we don't wan't the city to become BIG in the Entertainment & Tour Area...and come up short on hotels

but the reason they don't have many downtown is because...at the moment ...they wouldn't be making any money.....it's already 2 downtown that don't sell out often...so untill we get somethin downtown like...Rite Aid ,Cvs....Footlocker...A movie theater....more Bars...More MAJOR events and nightlife.......

downtown looses out on money cuz it don't have much to offer...like for instance...LSU games...downtown & College DR. area...are both close to campus...if u were not from here...would u stay Downtown or College area??

Another new hotel for Constitution Avenue.

The owners of the Holiday Inn Select are planning on building a 143-room full-service hotel nearby. Executive Hotel Management has filed documents with the city-parish Planning Commission to build the facility on Constitution Avenue, but did not identify the brand of the hotel. The company bought the 4-acre site in September for $3.4 million and said it planned on using the property for spillover Holiday Inn parking and for possibly another hotel. A 127-room Cambria Suites is currently under construction at Constitution and Bunker Hill avenues. In addition to the Cambria Suites and Holiday Inn Select, Constitution Avenue is already home to an Embassy Suites, Comfort Inn and Hampton Inn. --Timothy Boone

:w00t: It's full service it's going to be nice! :D I think it might be a Crowne Plaza.

Edited by dan326

Isn't this the tract of land that has those ugly 2-story brown wooden office buildings?? Wonder how many floors there will be for a 143-room hotel on 4.3 acres??

Wow, College/Corporate/I-10 is already BR's largest hotel district and still growing! That's an impressive row of hotels that will be lined up along Constitution Ave. when you add Cambria Suites and Crowne Plaza!!!

The independent(no chain; boutique)Hotel King downtown should be open by the end of next year.

Edited by richyb83

o

I see what your saying...i asked my self that question to aout hotel chains not investing into downtown

well Yes....it is a demand for hotels.....Baton Rouge Is becoming a major city before your eyes...and with LSU and SU...football gettin more and more popular every year...u gotta plan ahead....we don't wan't the city to become BIG in the Entertainment & Tour Area...and come up short on hotels

but the reason they don't have many downtown is because...at the moment ...they wouldn't be making any money.....it's already 2 downtown that don't sell out often...so untill we get somethin downtown like...Rite Aid ,Cvs....Footlocker...A movie theater....more Bars...More MAJOR events and nightlife.......

downtown looses out on money cuz it don't have much to offer...like for instance...LSU games...downtown & College DR. area...are both close to campus...if u were not from here...would u stay Downtown or College area??

I understand everything you are saying, but a hotel chain that is moderately prices needs to take the risk. Everyone keeps talking about putting a drugstore, market, etc.... downtown but those kind of stores aren't going to attract people from out of town. We need more restaurants and clubs/bars down there. Those developments are what attract people. We are well on our way in that aspect tho, 3rd St. is really coming alive. It saddens me that others in the city aren't excited about what is happening in the city. What saddens me even more are the pessimist that still insist that nothing will ever come of downtown. It's those people who do nothing for the better of BR. Those are the people who we can do without. LOL I come across people all the time that have no clue of whats going on in the city, they think we are still a "large town" they don't see us becoming a small/medium city. I think us who know about all the new developments, not only downtown, but around the city do the city a world of good when we talk about them and educate others on whats changing for the good. We are the "driving" force for a better BR.... GO US!!!!

You have brought up an important point here. Urbanism is as much a state of mind as it is bricks and mortar. I might offer Fort Lauderdale as a place with plenty of urban offerings- spiffy condo towers and positively bristling with glossy hotels- yet it does not quite function in an urban way. At least not yet. The mindset of the city's leaders has yet to change in a way which will lead the area into true urbanism. However many towers protrude from the ever-growing skyline, one might almost think it was 1965 to see how the city operates on some levels. The same could be said for many places, but the parallel struck me just now. At least Baton Rouge doesn';t have a rogue mayor like Frank Melton of Jackson.

From what I have seen, Baton Rouge is headed in the right direction. True urbanism doesn't happen overnight. The South in general lags behind other places like Portland simply because the growth spurts in most southern cities happened after WWII, hence the automobile provided the template for development. Baton Rouge, Jackson and countless other cities are only just beginning to realize the boundless potential of their downtown cores, many of which were left to languish for years. Getting the right mix of restaurants, clubs, stores and the like is important. What may not work is the idea that urbanism can be created with just one or two projects. I still think that if Baton Rouge can get more people living downtown that all will turn out well- maybe not overnight, but eventually. A tourist bubble won't do the trick.

Please forgive the OT nature of my reply. TB

You have brought up an important point here. Urbanism is as much a state of mind as it is bricks and mortar. I might offer Fort Lauderdale as a place with plenty of urban offerings- spiffy condo towers and positively bristling with glossy hotels- yet it does not quite function in an urban way. At least not yet. The mindset of the city's leaders has yet to change in a way which will lead the area into true urbanism. However many towers protrude from the ever-growing skyline, one might almost think it was 1965 to see how the city operates on some levels. The same could be said for many places, but the parallel struck me just now. At least Baton Rouge doesn';t have a rogue mayor like Frank Melton of Jackson.

From what I have seen, Baton Rouge is headed in the right direction. True urbanism doesn't happen overnight. The South in general lags behind other places like Portland simply because the growth spurts in most southern cities happened after WWII, hence the automobile provided the template for development. Baton Rouge, Jackson and countless other cities are only just beginning to realize the boundless potential of their downtown cores, many of which were left to languish for years. Getting the right mix of restaurants, clubs, stores and the like is important. What may not work is the idea that urbanism can be created with just one or two projects. I still think that if Baton Rouge can get more people living downtown that all will turn out well- maybe not overnight, but eventually. A tourist bubble won't do the trick.

Please forgive the OT nature of my reply. TB

Well BR will never be a tourist city. We simply don't have anything to offer for tourist. BR will always be more of a business city, which is fine. After living in Louisiana's tourist mecca, NOLA, I much rather live in a business city than a tourist one. Tourist, in my mind, are very disrespectful to the place they are visiting. Course that may just hold true to NOLA and the fact that it is a party city. LOL But still I'd rather have the visitors to our city be one of the business nature and not the party nature. LOL

o

You'd be surprised how often the Hilton does sell out!

Its' biggest draw are its unparalled meeting and banquet faclilties that pull in large numbers of guests from all over the state, even nationwide. When companies like ExxonMobil, Dow, Albemarle, Amedysis and even LSU have large meetings, the guests want to stay on property, not drive.

The DT Shuttle to the LSU games this year was very popular with guests from visting teams this year.

Its' biggest draw are its unparalled meeting and banquet faclilties that pull in large numbers of guests from all over the state, even nationwide. When companies like ExxonMobil, Dow, Albemarle, Amedysis and even LSU have large meetings, the guests want to stay on property, not drive.

The DT Shuttle to the LSU games this year was very popular with guests from visting teams this year.

True True....We Do need more hotels downtown...but to answer twstdmd....we need the simple things like cvs and otha places 1st...they'll sell during the day with all the offices in the area...but they will attract a crowd from the condo's and the people living downtown...then more and more stores will start to open like foot locker,cato's,payless,simply fashion...and different clothes stores...then restaurants & clubs will clome...then more people will be in the area....then come the Hotel's...because more people in the area...

i was over in the bookstore reading a book about canal st....when it started..there was no clue it was going to be the biggest hotel st. in the city...but as the stores came ...the people came....and the demand for hotels came

It has really been nice to see the Hilton Capitol Center be so sucessful! That's one cool historic place! LSU does there Sunday nite show from there too. The roof top Ballroom is like no other! Very impressive places to meet inside; the other ballroom has been used for things like Labor Day telethons.

The Shaw Center for the Arts Block "combined" with the Hilton Capitol Center has made a nice synergy for downtown. There is a hip vibe and the restuarants and clubs have followed; across the street the Lyceum Dean has made for a good venue for receptions, proms, etc. And there is another place (name?) that's a similar venue.

I believe a small grocery/drug store will be part of the Brownstones on Laurel @ Fifth Street.

It's been amazing in the 70's what the old Corporate Square anchored by the city's Tallest Hotel; the 22-story Marriott (formerly Hilton) did to that area. An explosion of hotel growth and business. Is now BR's "largest" hotel district. CitiPlace was then built (1st mixed-use project in BR); down Corporate Blvd. Towne Center was built recently and still growing. On the other side of I-10 Constitution Ave.(hotels/restuarants) Bennington Ave(entertainment/hotels) is an impressive area of development about 4 miles outside of downtown!

Edited by richyb83

Hey Dan, the taller sleeker W aLoft tower would be a great compliment to the Marriott!!!! Still unclear on the rooms; the numbers conflict with each other. I remember being approved for 140??? many months ago; have they changed the plan to accomodate 250-rooms?? With limited parking due to evrything else at Esplande they would need to go vertical! Could this be the reason for the delay??

Is that bottom pic 13-stories??

There are no moderately priced hotels downtown. The Shereton and Hilton (esp Baton Rouge's Hilton) cater mostly to high dollar crowds. Their prices, at least for Baton Rouge, are up there on days when there is a football game or convention in town and are barely agreable when demand is low.

Baton Rouge's hotel market isn't like New Orleans. It's tourist business is during football season...but it's all business crowds the rest of the year. That's why the fancy downtown Hilton will probably remain the only upper tier hotel downtown.

Edited by cajun

There are no moderately priced hotels downtown. The Shereton and Hilton (esp Baton Rouge's Hilton) cater mostly to high dollar crowds. Their prices, at least for Baton Rouge, are up there on days when there is a football game or convention in town and are barely agreable when demand is low.

Baton Rouge's hotel market isn't like New Orleans. It's tourist business is during football season...but it's all business crowds the rest of the year. That's why the fancy downtown Hilton will probably remain the only upper tier hotel downtown.

Agreed!!! Thats why I said a more moderately priced hotel needs to be built downtown to attract the people who aren't the "high dollar crowds". Some of the people who go to the games aren't in that crowd but would like to stay downtown, especially when they have the game shuttles. Cause you know the boutique hotel that is going to open in the old King Hotel is not going to be moderately priced.

Agreed!!! Thats why I said a more moderately priced hotel needs to be built downtown to attract the people who aren't the "high dollar crowds". Some of the people who go to the games aren't in that crowd but would like to stay downtown, especially when they have the game shuttles. Cause you know the boutique hotel that is going to open in the old King Hotel is not going to be moderately priced.

Exactly

Football games are probably the only time I can see that much demand. If those tailgaters are going to spend 250K on a Prevost or Winnebago then I don't think that some younger fans won't have a problem with premium rates if it means they can hit the downtown bars after the game and not have to drive.

You also know that most business travelers (most of the business in BR) aren't getting put up in a Hilton. Their company is going to put them in a chain hotel and they aren't going to want to spend that much money.

A moderately priced hotel downtown would settle all of this. If it's done right, it would have more business than any other hotel downtown.

Edited by cajun

Exactly

Football games are probably the only time I can see that much demand. If those tailgaters are going to spend 250K on a Prevost or Winnebago then I don't think that some younger fans won't have a problem with premium rates if it means they can hit the downtown bars after the game and not have to drive.

You also know that most business travelers (most of the business in BR) aren't getting put up in a Hilton. Their company is going to put them in a chain hotel and they aren't going to want to spend that much money.

A moderately priced hotel downtown would settle all of this. If it's done right, it would have more business than any other hotel downtown.

You'd be surprised at the number of business travelers that are staying at the Hilton. Especially those that do business with the State of LA. Whenever my coworkers come into BR for business with the state, they used to always stay at the Holiday Inn Select. Since the Hilton opened downtown, they have started using the Hilton.

We aren't saying that business travelers won't use or don't use the Hilton. I just think a moderately priced hotel downtown would give them more of an option, mind you an option that doesn't mean they have to go out to College Dr for it. Maybe if we had a moderately priced hotel downtown we could use that as an asset as far as attracting more conventions to the RiverCenter. We could say, "look we have options in every price range here, come here with your convention". My point is people like options and having a moderately priced hotel downtown is one more option that travelers of every kind should have. :thumbsup:

Edited by twstdndmntd

To answer someone's question about what might be going up on No.Harrel's Ferry Rd. along I-12 across from the Canterbury House Apts..... looks like yet another hotel. A 4-story "budget" hotel. How many hotels does BR need?? They seem to be going up plenty! I need to update the list.

With all the new development on that stretch of No. Harrel's Ferry; they should really improve(add turn lanes) widen the narrow road some at least to the new FedEx distribution center. It's entirely too narrow with deep ditches close to the shoulder.

Another hotel? I think we are over saturating the market with hotels. I honestly don't see a need for a hotel on that location. Not to mention given the fact that it will be located by some "sketchy" areas, I'm concerned about what kind of clientele it will attract. As far as ugrading the road in that area I totally agree. I think one way of "upgrading" it would be to connect it with Millerville. Make it a true service road.

To answer someone's question about what might be going up on No.Harrel's Ferry Rd. along I-12 across from the Canterbury House Apts..... looks like yet another hotel. A 4-story "budget" hotel. How many hotels does BR need?? They seem to be going up plenty! I need to update the list.

Hotels are up there with my favorite type of developments. :D I have a feeling this hotel will be a Holiday Inn Express or a Choice Brand hotel. Where did you hear this Richy?

Here is a picture of one I found. While the name sounds :sick: the actual look of the place is not too bad. It will blend in well with the new apartments.

I'm concerned about what kind of clientele it will attract.

I think your concern might be just a little late. All the hotels at the Sherwood Forest exit are budget hotels.

23431375zo4.jpg

vp-day.jpg

Edited by dan326