MetLife Leaving Hartford for Bloomfield

grock

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slightly off topic eh?....Globalization and freer trade is economically beneficial to the economy as a whole in the long run, read any advanced economic text book.

Back to topic....

In reading the updated article in the courant this morning, Perez and his staff say they repeatedly tried to reach out to MetLife, but there was no desire from Metlife to negotiate.

Well, they are not all leaving CT, just Hartford DT so that's not much of a change in that perspective...

I'm in agreement for sure. What a mess he has been. Things looked great in the beginning, but I think he's just out of his league in this arena.

Slightly off topic eh?....Globalization and freer trade is economically beneficial to the economy as a whole in the long run, read any advanced economic text book.

Back to topic....

In reading the updated article in the courant this morning, Perez and his staff say they repeatedly tried to reach out to MetLife, but there was no desire from Metlife to negotiate.

At least someone else does notice this fine detail. Not saying he's off the hook, but we all knew this could happen when Met Life bought Travelers Life, a deal that Perez did happen to fight tooth and nail and tried to get Blumenthol to block the acquisition. No one remembers that, huh? Well if the AG would have blocked the deal like Perez asked, due to it potentially wreaking Havoc on Hartford, this would not have happened. But, that was very anti-business of Perez wasn't it? He should roll over and let the corporations do whatever they want regardless of how it impacts the city right? The selective outrage is amazing.

Perez saying they tried hard to keep Met is B.S. The city has power, they have the state they can go to, things can get done if the right people are in the negotiations. Hartford right now needs all the corportations, residents, and retail it can get.

I feel nothing is being done in this city, just some cosmetic touchup's with a nice tower there and a convention center here. Why can't we get thins rolling like Providence does. I wish we could recruit the Providence city leaders over to Hartford!

So what can an "effective" mayor do to encourage businesses to stay in and move to Hartford? We already know Hartford is more expensive due mostly to parking and taxes, do we put up more parking lots and lower taxes and ask the state to make up the lost revenues?

I agree Perez is not an evil troll.

I do think he is inept. He has hung out a sign saying that Hartford is a "union town" and businesses beware.

He has been unable to work with corporations who are fleeing to the suburbs.

And even tried an end run around the parking authority to line the pockets of his supporters.

This a worse than a bad track record. It's terrible.

Perez saying they tried hard to keep Met is B.S. The city has power, they have the state they can go to, things can get done if the right people are in the negotiations. Hartford right now needs all the corportations, residents, and retail it can get.

I feel nothing is being done in this city, just some cosmetic touchup's with a nice tower there and a convention center here. Why can't we get thins rolling like Providence does. I wish we could recruit the Providence city leaders over to Hartford!

Go check out some of the RI forum about the job market in and around Providence. We are lucky around here. It's not all bad news. Aetna and Travelers are both increasing their presence in the city and the jobs are staying in Greater Hartford, where there is still an abundance of high quality financial services and insurance jobs.

Archived