[Chicago] 2016 Olympics

egrguy

I think this is a great topic and below is several links to Chicago's quest to host the 2016 Olympics. I think it would be great for both the city and region if the city were to win the games, I know it would be one of the few times that I will be able to live close enough to make it to the games.

What do people from Chicago, Illinois, and other midwestern states think?

Chicago 2016

Chicago 2016's first fundraiser already a $6M hit

Windy City enters the running for 2016 Olympics

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say it'd be great, I'd love to see Chicago win a bid. It'd be great for Chicago and the surrounding areas, tho, the resort communities around the lakes should get ready for a boost in foriegn tourism. Hehe keep those translator books handy.

• 1 month later...

I think this is awesome. Chicago will be the closest we here in W Michigan will get to the Olympics. I know it will be the best opportunity for myself to get to see the games in person as well. Here are some news clips about the winning bid.

Chicago picked by USOC to bid for 2016 Olympics

Chicago picked to bid for 2016 Olympics

Peoria area feels Chicago's gain

• 3 weeks later...

They will need to start building hotels and LOTS of them. Saturday night in downtown Chicago, every single hotel save a couple of the higher-end ones were completely filled. No exaggeration. My friend and I spent hours searching, and had to resort to sleeping on the steps outside the Metra station.

• 4 weeks later...

They probably will not need to build that many hotels. I lived in Atlanta for the 96 Games. Everyone else stayed away because they knew there would be so many people and we ended up having vacancies. Lots of stories early on about folks who were going to rent their house for 2 weeks and make 50K. May have happened to a small number who lived in mansions (like a foreign delegation could stay there), but many of those did not materialize either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ueberroth: Chicago 'third or fourth' among 2016 Olympic favorites

Looks like Chicago has some ground to gain. I really think that with Beijing in '08 that Tokyo wont get the bid and with London '12 that Madrid won't win, but Rio De Janiero to bring the games to South America. I think at this point its probably in Chicago's best interest to have this as a warm-up run for a 2020 bid.

I really like the master plan unveiled for the Olympics in Chicago but realistically I don't think they will get it when put up to some of the competition. I honestly don't believe Chicago needs the Olympics and personally the games are far overrated. Chicago would do much better in putting the money for the Olympics into a public service or product.

Hosting The Olympics seems to be getting more and more expensive as time goes along. Won't there be a point that the expense to a host city outweighs the return on investments. Granted I'd love the see Chicago host the olympics. But I would not want Chicago to go bankrupt in doing so either.

I think the investment nets some very tangible results for the host city. Im not sure the case of the costs for Chicago, but it appears that many of the venues are already built unlike Athens which seemed it needed to build everything from scratch.

• 1 month later...

I think it comes down to Rio and Chicago as well, but something has to be done about transit. Currently, Chicago has better transit than Rio, though I can't help but thinking that Rio will make a big push to improve transit infrastructure between now and 2016, whereas Chicago will be facing yet another doomsday scenario (how many will that be by then?)

• 4 weeks later...

There's a new animation video out showing the proposed Olympic venues scattered throughout downtown Chicago:

http://video.nbc5.com/player/?id=80710

Exciting stuff! I can't believe how much more the lakefront would develop with all of these plans if Chicago gets chosen. The Olympic Park where Miegs Field use to be, the Olympic Village South of McCormick Place and the Olympic Stadium on the South Side would be amazing. Anyone else have any insights?

• 3 weeks later...

I think the buzz for a Chicago Olympics will really spread throughout the midwest. Im voting for Chicago because who knows when it will be this close again?

The committe will shorten the list this summer for the final applicants. I'd say Chicago would be a lock if Vancouver hadn't won the 2010 winter games.

My rough estimate would be the following make it:

Chicago, USA

Rio de Janiero, Brazil

Madrid, Spain

Tokyo, Japan

You have a city from each continent.

It will be interesting to the follow the process!

• 6 months later...

Chicago favorite for 2016 Olympics: report

Supposedly Chicago is the early frontrunner. It faces some tough competition; however, with Beijing hosting 2008 (Tokyo), London 2012 (Madrid) and with Rio's early evaluation score the lowest of the finalist cities Chicago does have a great shot. However, I don't think Chicago or any other city for that matter will top Beijing's $40B budget anytime soon.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

As much as I love Chicago, I feel the amount of money required to lure in the Olympics shouldn't be on the table right now considering the state of the American economy. I realize it is also the world economy that is having some issues, but IMO, let this one go to Tokyo.

As much as I love Chicago, I feel the amount of money required to lure in the Olympics shouldn't be on the table right now considering the state of the American economy. I realize it is also the world economy that is having some issues, but IMO, let this one go to Tokyo.

I realize the economy is poor now, but the Olympics are 7 years out and the city and country could be booming or even on a steady growth pattern when they actually come to fruition. I just think you have to take the chance to host the Olympics if you can win them. I suppose this is all a moot point if Chicago fails to win the bid.

Archived