Condos at Sixth and Pine

crispin

Crosland is apparently planning a 35-unit condo project that would replace the Sixth and Pine condominiums (the ones that sit basically inside Fourth Ward Park). The company made a presentation to Friends of Fourth Ward earlier this week.

Project would include two levels of parking, three levels of residences. Units around 1,000 square feet. Prices from $350/sf. Plus a "small" retail presence facing the Harris Teeter, which is right across the street.

The building would sit on the site of the current condos plus a piece of Fourth Ward Park owned by the county.

I can't really describe how much I hate this idea. I'd ask rhetorical questions like, Why would the county allow a developer to build on a public park? But we all know they have, and will again, just because.

For all the good urban development in Charlotte -- and even this project has its pluses -- I hate that there are no limits on what's possible. One good limit would be to preserve all the parkland we have right now.

(Apologies if someone's already posted about this project. I can't find anything about it.)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would imagine just from the current building foot print all the way up to 5th and down to Pine.....the building does sit awkwardly back from the street and sits in the middle of the park as it is, and has the odd surface lot out front.....still, I really like the way that building looks, and if it's some EIFS travesty like the adjacet condos on the west side of Pine, then I will puke.

I would have thought the county would look to expand the park. I would have liked the county eventually take out the 6th and Pine condos and then, whenever Salvation Army is ready to sell the old folks home, that that would go to the park rather than any redevelopment. Fourth Ward is the most populated neighborhood downtown by far, and it is a shame that it has just a sliver of a park compared to what is going to other areas.

For a short while, I misread the original post as 35-story rather than 35 units. I was thinking that would be a reason for needing the extra land. 35-units is definitely not worth losing parkland for. This is exactly the kind of place we should be seeing a little pencil tower. Why not a 35 unit tower going up 10 stories with 4 units per floor? A 10 story building would go well at that corner, stepping down a bit from the Vue into the 6 story Park Plaza and then the 4 story Springfield and then into the neighborhood. Why not? Taking parking is an absolute NO, though.

The Salvation Army complex- the gray apartment buildings or the like between 7th and 8th Streets on Pine- in Fourth Ward could surely be relocated for this development, giving the Salvation Army some good cash. That complex is unattractive and could be elsewhere.

The Salvation Army complex- the gray apartment buildings or the like between 7th and 8th Streets on Pine- in Fourth Ward could surely be relocated for this development, giving the Salvation Army some good cash. That complex is unattractive and could be elsewhere.

I would much rather the 6th and Pine site be built up and the Salvation Army complex be converted to parkland. It would be a major political problem in the neighborhood to convert the Salvation Army units to market rate condos. That is for poor and old people, and the neighborhood doesn't want them just shipped off somewhere else.

The northern part of 4th Ward park is just more or less a greenway and a playground. It would be a major enhancement to the park to have that land betwen Pine and Poplar.

But don't look for Salvation Army to go away any time soon. Wasn't it recently that someone tried to buy it for redevelopment and there was an uproar about it?

I would absolutely disagree with an effort to move the Salvation Army residents out of the neighborhood. Aside from the moral issues involved (since when are poor old people more deserving of losing their homes?), but there's an urban planning angle as well. Part of what makes Fourth Ward "work" is the mix of income levels in the neighborhood. The last thing Charlotte needs is another "exclusive" subdivision. With all the high-end developments surrounding the core of the neighborhood, it's really important to maintain income balance on the inner streets.

I'm undecided on this new development. I'd like to see a little more detail before I pronounce judgment.

I've yet to see a pic of the proposed design, but generally like the idea. The surface lot in front of the building takes away from the potential of the intersection. Plus, we could really use more retail there.

The green space to be used, is really a ditch. In fact, I suspect most of the crimes committed in the park are due to the "blind spot" that it creates.

Looking at the pics has really caused me to change my mind. I agree with huieon39. Plow this sucker down and extend development down 6th. I really thought the park was a bit larger, but according to the pics it is just a green strip. A development done right could actually enhance the park sincenew development could hide a parking lot. This could actually make for more use of a park that currently sees hardly any.

A2

Archived