Condos at Sixth and Pine

crispin

I walked past the park yesterday and if the piece of land they want is indeed the sliver that was pictured above, then I am sort of OK with it. I still belive they can achieve the density they want if they go up another floor or two. The piece of green space in question is not used because it is cut off from the rest of the park but park and rec could change that.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's poorly landscaped, that strikes me as a landscaping problem, not a reason to put a building on greenspace. Fourth Ward is only going to become more densely populated, and the amount of parkland is never going to increase. It seems unfortunate to surrender any portion of what exists today.

I agree, Crispin. I actually thought this was part of 6th and Pine. Now realising it is public land, I definitely don't want to see it gone.

Also, why can't they build 35 units on the land taken up by the parking lot? Why can't they just include fewer parking spaces in the overall project, this is only a few blocks from Tryon? Why can't they build a little taller, there is a 50 story building planned across the street?

All in all, a lack of space is supposed to inspire creativity. Instead, they have simply tried to solve the problem by throwing money at land that should be off limits. Instead of creative solutions with an interesting twist, they are pursing a boring low rise on land reserved for parkland. Meanwhile, this is happening in the city's most urban-loving neighborhood.

Eh....I have to agree with Heuion here....that land is severely under utilized. Dubone, you made the point yourself, you thought the land was already part of 6th & Pine. While it's a shame that public parks are shrinking, I don't think anyone will notice the net effect here. And if this new project adds retail on 6th, and is designed well with high-quality materials, then I would see this as a positive. This is NOT the space for a high-rise. The shadow effect would shade 2/3 of the park in the afternoon.....The Vue would have little to no affect on the park most times of the year base on sun trajectory.

Eh....I have to agree with Heuion here....that land is severely under utilized. Dubone, you made the point yourself, you thought the land was already part of 6th & Pine. While it's a shame that public parks are shrinking, I don't think anyone will notice the net effect here. And if this new project adds retail on 6th, and is designed well with high-quality materials, then I would see this as a positive. This is NOT the space for a high-rise. The shadow effect would shade 2/3 of the park in the afternoon.....The Vue would have little to no affect on the park most times of the year base on sun trajectory.

Archived