Statesboro Hearings

nova72asu

The City had the "front of yard" parking hearing last month. Most of the chairs in the Council Chambers were full. The council heard from the residents. There were many different views. It was very apparent that the Council had a complicated issue in front of them. No decision was made at the meeting. The Council and staff will decide what steps to take next if they desire to persue an ordinance.

Yesterday, Mar 6, City Council heard the request from annexation and rezoning from the property on Cawana Road with the borrow pit. After hearing from both sides and some discussion the Council decided to APPROVE the request with conditions: denisty limited to 2.4 units per net developable acre or 45 homes whichever is less, minimum heated floor area of 1,750 square feet, all brick or comparable exterior, and two car garages. These are the same restrictions that were placed on the recent annexation and rezoning that occured recently just to the north of this property and Bradford Place on Cawana Road.

They also approved a preliminary plat for property off Packinghouse Road, just south of Mossy Oak Cove, between Packinghouse and the Bypass. The plat divides the property into 104 single family residential lots.

Approved the second reading of an ordinance officially annexing 80+ acres on the south side of Hwy 301 North, across from Allen Circle. This will be commercial on the front of the property along the hwy and R-10 single family residential on the rest of the property.

Edited by nova72asu

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Signs posted for upcoming City Council hearings.

1. Annexation of the old Joseph Home for Boys location off Hwy 301 and Dodd Circle.

2. Parking variance request for 17 E Jones (small metal sided building, next to greenway)

3. Rezoning of 109 Broad from R-4 Multi family to R-6 Single family (white house on through lot, has frontage on both Broad and Mulberry)

4. Parking variance for Elm Street Church of God.

5. Setback variance for a vacant lot on Bulloch Street.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Results from todays council meeting:

Rezoning for Krystal location at the corner of Buckhead and Brannen was approved.

Annexation and rezoning for property on the north side of Stambuck Ln, adjacent to Garden District Apartments was also approved. A small commercial strip center is proposed, along with an ATM and standalone Ice Machine.

The Council approved the second reading on ordinance to annex the borrow pit property on Cawana Road with all the conditions approved at the public hearing.

Upcoming Planning Commission Items: EDIT - I realized that if anyone is interested in attending this meeting they would need to know the day and time.... The PC meeting is May 8th at 4pm - City Council Chambers

Rezoning request for property located on packinghouse road. A subdivision plat for the property was recently approved by the Council. The current zoning is R-15, the developer is requesting R-10 zoning.

Rezoning request for property located south of the old railroad bed (where the green-way tunnel is being constructed) on the west side on the Bypass. This property is part of the proposed Brannen Crossing Development off Brannen Road. The property is overlayed with multiple zoning districts, they are requesting the property be all CR to match the zoning of the property to the north immediately off Brannen. Nearly all the property is unbuildable due to wetlands. only a small portion of the property next to the bypass and the tunnel is usable.

Variance request for property located off Briarwood Road across from Candler Internal Medicine. Request is to reduce the front setbacks from 25 feet to 10 feet. This property is zoned CR.

And a text amendment for the parking ordinance that covers businesses and multifamily developments...this is NOT the front yard parking issue.

Edited by nova72asu

The rezoning request is for this parcel...

http://64.234.218.46/ga_bulloch.html?parce...uildings+subs#0

The above parcel is proposed to be combined with the following two parcels...

So to answer your question... about 625ft down Brannen Street from the Bypass, which you can see that on the sign that has been on the corner of the property for a while, that shows the development as a triangular/trapezoidal shape. (been a while since geometry class). The main entrance to the development would be from the existing curb cut on Brannen.

If you drive down Brannen you will notice several curb cuts, those are to provide access to the properties along there as they develop. If you notice to the west of the BC development there are still two large parcels that are undeveloped. All zoned CR (commercial retail). I'm sure the owners will make alot of money one of these days when they sell to a developer.

The Planning Commission held its meeting yesterday (May 8th)

They recommended approval of rezoning 61.25 acres on the east side of packinghouse road, from R-15 to R-10.

Recommended approval of rezoning the 21.27 acre parcel proposed to be combind with the BC development to 100% CR. The developers were present, however, they did not speak. The attorney representing them spoke briefly but did not give any details or hints as to the stores or businesses we might see.

The commission postponed the variance request to reduce the front setbacks from 25 feet to 10 feet for 1.4 acre parcel located on Briarwood Road, across the street from Candler medical office. They postponed in order to give the engineer working on the project to design a site plan showing the layout of parking and buildings.

The commission recommended approval of a ordiance amendment for the off street parking and loading section of the zoning ordinance.

Edited by nova72asu

There was an article in the Herald talking about the City Council's workshop that was held last night.

The council disussed the front yard parking issue. They wanted to attempt to address the issues that were brought forth by the public at the public hearing that was held a few months ago.

The council agreed the best way to eliminate concerns from people that did not have large yards would be to apply the restrictions to zoning districts R-15, R-20, R-30 and R-40.

They agreed that paving was not necessary provided vehicles were parked in an orderly manner.

No official descisions were made. The City staff are to develop a new draft of the potential ordinance based on the Council members sugestions.

Here is a link to the article...

http://www.statesboroherald.com/news/article/3609/

...there is one inaccuracy "any ordinance they do approve will only affect those parcels with 15,000 square feet or more square feet" The council said it would only affect R-15 and up, described above as R-15, R-20, R-30 and R-40. The intent is the same, but there are some cases in older neighborhood where a smaller lot, for example a 9,500 square foot lot, may be located in an R-15 zoning district, those are limited cases however.

The City Council held its regular meeting Tuesday (may 1st) evening.

There were no public hearings.

1. Adopted the first reading of an ordinance to amend the Statesboro Occupational Taxes - proposed change will be a combination of a flat tax and tax based on number of employees.

2. Adopted second reading of an ordinance to annex 35.01 acres on the east side and 5 acres on the west side of Bird Lane. A public hearing on this was held last October. They also approved the zoning for the property on Bird Lane. They adopted a resolution to close the portion of Bird Ln that is no longer needed and deed it back ot the property owner.

3. Adopted the second reading of an ordinance authorizing Capital Cost Recovery Fees for the extension of Water and Sewer trunk lines into ares within and adjacent to the City limits. Adopted a resolution establishing the CCR Dirstrict #1: Southeast Quadrant Area (this is the area along and around Cawana Road) These fees would apply to any new development that wishes to utilize the City water and sewer lines in this area. In order to connect to the lines the property will have to be annexed and the Capital Cost Recovery Fee paid when the individual lots are developed. Fees are designed to assist in recovering the cost the city fronts in construction of the trunk lines.

4. Adopted first reading to annex the small parcel of property on the north side of Stambuck Ln, next to the Garden District Apartments

5. Adopted first reading of an ordinance amending parking requirements and design for parking lots. One aspect was to change the parking stall width from 50% 10' wide 50% 9' wide to requiring a minimum of 9' wide stalls. The council decided to leave the ordinance the way it currently is written for that portion. However, a final decision will not be made till after the Public Hearing scheduled for the June 5th meeting.

There were several other items such as bid awards. See the website for more information. Agendas and Minutes should be posted.

I see the plan for the BC development. It's a very interesting plan.

Here's notes on what I observed:

- I see where the right turn in-right turn out spot on the bypass is. I remember that being applied for last year.

- I also see where they plan on putting a traffic light there at Buckhead Drive - which is good. I hate turning left there and at Walmart.

- I'm assuming the greenway is that strip going through the lower half of it?

- Other than Lot 7, the lots doesn't look big enough for big-box stores.

- On the left side of the development, the interior road just stops at the end of parcel. Will we see Brannen Crossing Phase II in the future or will there be an interior road lining Brannen Street?

- Whoever did the plans doesn't know what they're doing. They have it as Statesboro Crossing, on Brennen Street.

...and if I see a strip mall in this development I will die. I want to see big box stores, banks, restaurants, etc. A nice, quality development.

Here's notes on what I observed:

- I'm assuming the greenway is that strip going through the lower half of it?

- Other than Lot 7, the lots doesn't look big enough for big-box stores.

- On the left side of the development, the interior road just stops at the end of parcel. Will we see Brannen Crossing Phase II in the future or will there be an interior road lining Brannen Street?

- Whoever did the plans doesn't know what they're doing. They have it as Statesboro Crossing, on Brennen Street.

...and if I see a strip mall in this development I will die. I want to see big box stores, banks, restaurants, etc. A nice, quality development.

I just hope they they won't be attached together. It doesn't look good to me when you have multiple big boxes connected together.

Maybe we should start a topic on the B.C. development? It seems like things could be getting underway soon. Lots of discussion.

Edited by MorganA15

• 1 month later...

There's a public hearing scheduled for August 7 for a zoning change request for the borrow pit property on Cawana Road across from Bradford Place. The same guy is back asking for almost the same thing he wanted when he asked for the property to be annexed. Back then, after the uproar from the neighbors he agreed to the conditions the city council wanted. The city's staff report for this latest request says nothing has changed to justify the rezoning. Maybe the guy just likes upsetting the Bradford Place people.

The revised front yard parking ordinance is on the council agenda for the same meeting. It's a watered down version of the first one that isn't as tough on paving requirements and exempts the zoning districts with smaller lots. The majority of the residential zoning in the city is R-15 and R-20, two of the districts covered by the ordinance. I'm curious to see what happens this time.

1. Bradford Place people: I think they are generally dumb people (I live there, so I know for sure). I really dont think they should be regulating what types of residential developments come to the Cawana area. They are simply just as retarded as the Savannah Avenue people are who claimed that "they didnt know when they moved to Savannah Avenue 13 years ago, that it would become a cut-thru street." Um... the Statesboro Mall was constructed in the 70's and the Downtown was constructed in the late 1700's, so Savannah Avenue was always a cut-thru street. Bradford Place people who moved to the road that links the University (Burkhalter/HWY 67) to the Mall area thinking that Statesboro was not planning on growing, although it has been for the last 25 years, are just as dumb. I cannot respect the opinions of anyone who claims that they had no idea that developers were going to be interested in Cawana Road someday.

2. Parking ordinance: While some places in Statesboro look like crap with cars parked in the front yards, removing the cars will not make those areas look any better. What will make those areas look better will be for the residents to get legal jobs, if they will cut their grass, and if they will paint their homes that have not been painted in 100 years. Now, as for the University neighborhoods, put a sock in it! Nobody cares that someone moved across the street from a major university not realizing that one day students will infiltrate those neighborhoods. Im sorry that 83 year old Miss Deloris Jenkins still lives on West Gentilly road and doesnt like the college students, but that doesnt justify creating an ordinance that tells me what I can and cannot do with my own land in my opinion.

These are just my opinions. I am not trying to offend anyone, and I am trying to be slightly humorous as well.

andre, it's good to see you back on the boards.

I agree with you on Bradford Place. I don't understand the people who move to a subdivision surrounded by undeveloped land and think no one else will want to develop. If their development is successful, more will come. It's a no-brainer.

The parking issue is a tough one. It points to the bigger issue of people who don't take care of their property. There is some rental property close to my house. Some is well cared for. The house that is not is a thorn in my side since it has some effect on the enjoyment of my property now and on my investment when I get ready to sell later. I called the city once with some complaints and they did help. But the city shouldn't have to tell people to cut their grass, clean up their trash, and keep their dogs quiet. Whether they rent or own should not matter. Some people just don't care about the other people around them. It's because of those people that the city has to come up with regulations like the front yard parking ordinance. Will it help? Probably not.

I felt like the parking ordinance was just another punishment to the students who finance Statesboro's commerce sector, but also like to party. Since the alcohol ordinances were a failure, closing down more restuarants than nightclubs in Statesboro, and since students go ahead and budget a $50 noise violation fee into their party planning as well as cop escape plans, Statesboro feels that they are not punishing students enough for wanting to have a good time. I love going to parties, and its so annoying that on one side of town someone could be getting raped and mugged, then near the university the cops are pulling over kids leaving the Baptist Student Union for no reason other than to accuse them of drinking so they can charge a DUI. I have been pulled over so many times and asked if I was drinking for NO REASON. If I had been drinking, do you really think I would be driving down Lanier Drive to get home. I feel like we need to live and let live. That means creating neighborhoods that each have certain flavors and living in the one we most enjoy. If we dont like partying going on, we shouldnt live in a University area neighborhood. Preventing people from parking in a front yard could be an attack on people parking to go to a party. I used to have OC night every thursday to watch the OC, and we would park all over the front yard. I think its stupid to have to ask the city permission to have guests over whether were having a Bible study or a party with alcohol. Also, someday when I own my Volvo C70, Mercedes S550, and Porche Cayenne, I would love to show it off in my front yard from time to time. If people are abusing their front yards, then action should be taken against them on a case by case basis. We shouldnt punish everyone, and we shouldnt have to register events with the government like people do in China. Sorry for the rant.

Edited by andremurra

• 2 weeks later...

It was an interesting public hearing today (Aug 7) at the City Council meeting. The conditions were changed for the development across Cawana Road from Bradford Place to increase the number of houses from 45 to 63 and remove the brick exterior requirement. The changes were approved on a 3 to 2 vote. The mayor was very unhappy about it. Most people in the room, staff and visitors, were surprised by the outcome.

There were no comments on the watered-down parking ordinance and it passed first reading. I guess the second reading will be in two weeks.

Link to Statesboro Herald article: http://www.statesboroherald.com/news/article/4989/