Is Publix ever coming to Charlotte?

ChrissieCM

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Publix. I went to the stores all the time when I lived on Hilton Head and in Charleston. I like Harris Teeter a lot but the Publix bakery and bread section puts HT to shame. But seeing as how Charlotte is the seat of the ever expanding HT empire I don't think Publix could make it here.

I love Publix. I went to the stores all the time when I lived on Hilton Head and in Charleston. I like Harris Teeter a lot but the Publix bakery and bread section puts HT to shame. But seeing as how Charlotte is the seat of the ever expanding HT empire I don't think Publix could make it here.

I worked as a consultant to HT's expansion in North Georgia in the early 90s. Their vp in change of new markets made it clear that they were expanding into GA to attempt to block publix. We all know how that effort turned out (Publix is now the dominant chain in most of metro N. Georgia). While I have no first hand information about their curent strategy their behavior in Charlotte is consistent with a 'prevent strategy' in blocking new arrivals (particulalry publix) into the market place by consuming every available location for a high end store (e.g. two stores within 1/4 mile in South CLT).

Friends, if you've ever been inside a Publix, you know that HT would be running scared if a move into the Charlotte market looked immanent. I lived in Florida for many years, where Publix is king, and I can attest that there is nothing like Publix bakery. There is also no grocery chain in Florida that can compete with Publix service-wise. Excellence in the retail grocery industry second to none. What a COUP it would be for Charlotte to get Ritz Carlton AND Publix!

Why do people like Publix so much? I've gone to some of the ones in SC a few times and I think they're definitely better than Bi-Lo but I like HT- perhaps due to the goodwill it earned when it was the first better grocery chain (apart from the Fresh Market) to enter upstate SC, liberating the beaten-down masses from dependence on Bi-Lo!

I think the internal appearance of HT's are a bit "nicer" but the stores themselves are no more upscale than Publix's. I personally love Publix but I am perfectly happy shopping at Harris Teeter too. Every time somebody from my family makes a trip up to Charlotte, I demand they bring cookies from a Publix bakery with them. Publix does very well in Jacksonville, FL which is also overrun with Food Lion, Winn Dixie, Bloom, Albertson's, and the K-TarMart superstores. I feel like Publix could make it in Charlotte. With the number of HT's being built lately, Publix is definitely running out of time, but it does show that there is room for more higher end grocers in Charlotte just the same. Even if I had to drive an extra five minutes to get to a Publix rather than HT, I probably would.

That's true that Publix in Jacksonville leaves all it's competetors in the dust. In Jacksonville, people will not only drive an extra five minutes, they will drive an extra TWENTY minutes, if it means going to Publix and buying scrumptous cookies, fresh bread, and getting unparalleled service.

I was sooooooooo spoiled by Publix by living all those years in Florida, that I was quickly pining for it when I moved to Seattle. Seattle has QFC, the topshelf chain here, but alas QFC is no Publix.

I haven't been to a HT in years, so it's hard for me to compare it to Publix. One memory of Publix that just won't die for me is the sight of those FRESH loaves of swirl pumpernickle/rye bread sitting in that case, just waiting on me to buy one! And did I mention their FRESH croissants that always screamed at me from across the store........

When you see the sign on the Publix building that says" BAKERY", they aren't just whistling Dixie!

Archived