Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gatesofmemphis

Daily News article on downtown condo sales

5 posts in this topic

I saw this article: http://www.memphisdailynews.com/Editorial/...x?&id=96340 the other day and it had this quote in it:

"Could Downtown handle more units? Sure," Pera said. "The difficulty is, where do you build (them)? Mud Island is built out; the land everywhere else - from Mud Island all the way to South End - is either built out or too expensive to develop multifamily."

What kind of development would the property not be too expensive for? Single-family, office, parking lots, something else?

Just wondering.

This might require *gasp* higher density construction.

But that would rile the downtowners who somehow think it's a great idea to move downtown despite the fact they hate tall buildings.

I predicted that the apartment demand wouldn't let up, and that littering downtown with 3 to 5 story buildings was wasting the potential, seems I was right.

I didn't want to be, though.

This might require *gasp* higher density construction.

But that would rile the downtowners who somehow think it's a great idea to move downtown despite the fact they hate tall buildings.

I predicted that the apartment demand wouldn't let up, and that littering downtown with 3 to 5 story buildings was wasting the potential, seems I was right.

I didn't want to be, though.

We definitely need more apartments downtown. I don't understand why more aren't being built. The Bristol on Union recently sold with the highest per unit price in the area, and that place is a piece of crap. Maybe the Sterick could be converted to apartments. Will Henry Turley step up?