Interesting Maps

Arkansas Student

Here are a couple of interesting maps I found on the West Virginia thread.

One shows what large city respondents most identify with in their region.

Another shows what NFL team most respondents identify with in their region. Of interest, up around where I'm from (Mountain View) exists a pocket of Green Bay Packers fans. I didn't know that.

Another shows the NBA team most respondents identfy with. The Memphis Grizzlies win Arkansas.

There is another map that shows the NCCA I-A football team most respondents identify with. SURPRISE: It's Arkansas State. But I can't get it to upload.

http://www.commoncensus.org/maps

post-15709-1173301491_thumb.jpg

post-15709-1173301511_thumb.jpg

post-15709-1173302094_thumb.jpg

post-15709-1173301491_thumb.jpg

post-15709-1173301511_thumb.jpg

post-15709-1173302094_thumb.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool, I'm a sucker for maps. I'm a bit surprised at the lack of support for the KC Chiefs despite the proximity to NWA. I can see the Cowboys easily being on top, but I guess I would have thought that KC would have gotten a little more support in NWA. I think someone might have posted that sphere of influence map before over on the NWA forum. Weird to see cities like Ft Smith and Jonesboro at the very edge of their sphere of influence.

I think I voted in one of these surveys. Those "pockets" of Green Bay fans in Arkansas are individual voters...

edit:// There is a warning on the bottom of the graphs: "highly inaccurate." No doubt. I find it hard to believe that people in North Dakota most closely identify Denver as their metro.

No, that one isn't sports related. They also did a bad job of selecting colors there. Both the Fayetteville and Jonesboro areas have the same color and are just about touching. But that was has more to do with you people tend to go shop and eat out and such.

Very interesting, indeed... But the inaccuracies aren't hard to find. In the metro map, there are "spheres of influence" for Little Rock, Dallas and Monroe, LA but none for Shreveport/Bossier City. There's more than a quarter of a million folks in Shreveport/Bossier -- a pretty big area to get skipped. It looks like they need to target the Ark-La-Tex more in their polling.

Archived