Nightime Satellite Images of NC, others

architect77

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hell, NYC and Philly haven't even converged yet, and core to core they are the same distance away from each other as CLT and GSO! I'm really surprised that the Triangle is so dim in the shot, they must have had a blackout at the time. Or cloudiness?

Keep in mind everyone that I labeled the cities and wasn't even quite sure which blob of light was Raleigh. Due to the angle along with the curvature of the earth, I may have them all wrong. I can say that when flying into RDU at night that Raleigh looks quite big.

The most impressive sea of lights, undoubtedly, is flying into Orange Cty, CA at night. If you are sitting on the right side of the plane, you see most of Orange Cty and LA in the distance. Because there isn't any canopy of trees, the lights go on as far as the eye can see, even when you're still at about 10,000 ft up. It's truly amazing.

What is this fascination with lighting up the interstates??? Its a waste of electricity and thus taxpayers money that could go towards more beneficial projects and uses. So what if Burlington and Greensboro---or even D.C. have lit up interstates. Since when do we measure a city's stature by its number of illuminated roads? :wacko:

I second that point. Driving in the dark causes room for safety hazards. It is much harder to see something in the road if only your headlights are shining out in front of you. If the road is lit, you have much more time to react to changes.

I love how in the last map Charlotte and the Triad are reaching out to each other via Concord, Kannapolis, and Salisbury. I-85 will someday just be a string of lights from Atlanta to Raleigh.

I'm actually a little surprised how well the outer banks show up in that image.

What is this fascination with lighting up the interstates??? Its a waste of electricity and thus taxpayers money that could go towards more beneficial projects and uses. So what if Burlington and Greensboro---or even D.C. have lit up interstates. Since when do we measure a city's stature by its number of illuminated roads? :wacko:

• 3 months later...

Should be interesting to see if street lighting improves with technology that uses less energy. I'm thinking mostly of LED's. The state has been using them for traffic signals for a while now...and I love them--brighter, easier to see in the day. Raleigh's now begun experimenting with LED's to light up parking decks. The one that I saw was impressive...sure it's not a "pure white" light...a slight blue glow...but better than those amber lights by far.

Perhaps soon a city here will start with LED street lights. :)

Sorry, I must be candid. City lights are one indicia of urbanity. Since it is, I like to have NC's roads lit to the max. If I were in charge, street lights would be copious within every city limit, as well as other commercial and populated strips.

Speaking of Light Pollution...

My uncle has a farm about 12 miles east of Louisburg in Franklin County near Mapleville. The main house (a registered historic 2 story farmhouse) sits atop a large field with few trees. On a clear night the sky is filled with thousands and thousands of stars. It's pretty amazing. Mars is easily identifiable and it's about as big as a quarter and dark orange.

For two years I've been meaning to go and buy a cheap telescope from Sears or somewhere, because supposedly even with just a little magnification you can see Saturn and its rings. If I actually was able to see something that far away with my own eyes, I think that would be really cool. Hopefully I'll get around to doing it.

Oh, and LEDs are going to revolutionize the whole lighting industry. In a few years, you will be able to buy thin "fabric" of LED lights that come rolled up like carpet or wallpaper. Entire ceilings will be lit with LED Technology in assorted colors. It will be cheap and not use a lot of energy. They are still having difficulty perfecting "white" LED light however.

Archived