Why is Nashville not a concert draw?

miami1855

Why is it that, year after year, concert tours refuse to stop in Nashville for a show?

With the Ryman opening up to more acts, we have seen more big-names playing there. However, there has been a decline at the GEC and now Starwood is gone for good. And every year, it seems that country tours will not play in the town that they are most accustomed to and live in. You may get them in town for the CMA Music Festival, but that's it.

Opinions?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because you can see most of these acts (especially country) at a variety of venues and events during the year. It is all about the dollar and artists are going to go where they have the best shot at selling the most tickets. The facilities are fine but why would Kenny Chesney (for example) play the CMA fest to 30,000 and then try and come back and play Nashville again a month or two later? What you will see in Nashville are more acts like Justin Timberlake or Billy Joel or The Cheetah Girls which are not so readily available in other forums around town.

I remember reading an article in mid-last year that the reason we're not as much of a draw is because planners of tours say we have a bad reputation of not selling out. I think I remember reading that in the late 90's and early this decade we didn't sell out the 'big name' events that came around like Elton John, etc. and they just stopped making this a regular stop. Personally, I was devastated when Keith Urban announced his tour dates in mid-February and he's going to Memphis and Atlanta but not Nashville! I really feel we're losing a great thing with Starwood, despite its nastiness.

To clarify, I think we have a great indie rock/club band scene...and the Scene and Rage are usually full of show dates. But why is it that the big name, non-country draws overlook Nashville? Metallica, the Stones, even Buffett hasn't been here in years.

Are we really that bad at selling out these shows, to the point that promoters avoid us at all costs?

But it is nice to see a Coldplay or Norah Jones at the Ryman. What an experience.

To clarify, I think we have a great indie rock/club band scene...and the Scene and Rage are usually full of show dates. But why is it that the big name, non-country draws overlook Nashville? Metallica, the Stones, even Buffett hasn't been here in years.

Are we really that bad at selling out these shows, to the point that promoters avoid us at all costs?

But it is nice to see a Coldplay or Norah Jones at the Ryman. What an experience.

Buffett aways came to Starwwod, but he has passed us up the last 3 or 4 years. I don't guess we will ever see him again now. And Metallica has come to Atlanta or Memphis a couple of times over the last 5 years.

But, actually, I would rather sit at the Ryman or Exit In and listen to an indie band any night.

Probably, the saturation of quality musical performances in this City reduces the demand for the big tours. You can see award winning, Grammy winning or Gold record winning acts at the local Pub or School fund-raiser, or even in Church on Sunday. I have. I have also seen inpromptu jam sessions at the local high school theater with guitarists from bands you would know. It just happens in Nashville, anytime, anywhere. Why buy a ticket?

We have some of the best venues for music, that a lot of performers often prefer to a half sold out arena. The Ryman is one of those that every performer, regardless of musical type, wants to play.

Ryman Auditorium named

And who would pay $75 a ticket to see an artist that they just ate breakfast beside of at the Pancake Pantry that morning anyway?

Just seeing what everyone's opinion on the touring industry in Nashville was. Now, who wishes that 328 Performance Hall was still in town?

Yep, and this old concert fiend remembers seeing dozens of concerts when an expensive ticket was $7.

For the prices they charge nowadays for a concert, I'd better be able to see 'em up close. Oh wait, that's how we do it here isn't it. I may do some CMAFest concerts this year, but for the other things, the Ryman, TPAC and Opry House are perfect venues.

Gettting older isn't bad, but my rolling in the grass days at Starwood left a long time ago. I do hope that something really good gets going for downtown and things to accomodate everybody, but for me, intimacy is best.

I saw Elton John at the Opry House, Kim Carnes at the Tennessee Theater, and I bet there's not many people who remember Mother's Music Emporium just past Rolling Mill Hill, a small venue where I saw Charlie Daniels, BB King, Iggy Pop, Bachman-Turner Overdrive and countless others. I was never more than 15 feet from the stage with a pitcher of beer and a real chair.

I wouldn't feel slighted about some big acts passing us by. Sometimes it all those people in other cities have to get excited about. Whoop. Besides, a good road trip is sometimes the best way to hit the concert trail. Where's the sense of adventure? I did it numerous times. I remember some of it. ;)

Not quite. I'd had heard about it, but that was a little before my time. The 70s was my time to bloom mostly. The only thing on my mind in 1969 was getting my license to drive at 16 years and one-second old. Davidson County was never the same.

I'm sure my older sister was all over it though. She had some flowers in her hair back then. ;)

don't forget (i know it's not Nashville) that Bonnaroo in June host The Police, Tool, Panic, And about 100 other bands! It really is a wonderful experience. So, that is the obvious reason the the Police (and others) don't make stops in Nashville. I love going, and wouldn't trade it for anything, although i realize it stinks for Nashvillians who dont/cant attend.

don't forget (i know it's not Nashville) that Bonnaroo in June host The Police, Tool, Panic, And about 100 other bands! It really is a wonderful experience. So, that is the obvious reason the the Police (and others) don't make stops in Nashville. I love going, and wouldn't trade it for anything, although i realize it stinks for Nashvillians who dont/cant attend.

Archived