Hispanics/undocumented in NWA schools

diplodocus

English may have been the 'official' language of the scientific community for a while. But German was used quite a bit, that is until post WWII. I've been surprised to see a number of German words pop up often in Japanese. But perhaps WWII was the influence there. I'm pretty sure though in the younger days of our country French was widely used among diplomats. France didn't have the huge amount of colonies like the English and Spanish did. But I think it took a while for French to dwindle in use even after they lost their colonies. There just seemed to be a feeling French was something all the 'well educated' was supposed to learn mentality. So many government officials knew it to some degree. But anyway enough of the past. I'm not predicting the US is going to go down anytime in our lifetimes. But it would be silly to think the US will be the perpetual main world power. Chinese will most likely come into more use in the near future. Just how much more use it will get I'm not sure.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree that the U.S.'s reign of complete dominance will end in a decade or two as China's growth finally extend to the whole nation instead of just segments. That said, Chinese will never become the international language. It's just too difficult for the rest of the world to learn.

Yeah I think most people would prefer to learn one of the other European languages than English because at least they have set defined rules. Chinese does have some aspects that could put some people off, mainly all the characters. After WWII Japan went and tried to simplify their language and cut down the number of characters they use. I keep wondering if something like this might happen with Chinese.

Yeah I think most people would prefer to learn one of the other European languages than English because at least they have set defined rules. Chinese does have some aspects that could put some people off, mainly all the characters. After WWII Japan went and tried to simplify their language and cut down the number of characters they use. I keep wondering if something like this might happen with Chinese.

RE: Language.

As for either China or India becoming a world economic power, perhaps eclipsing the U.S:

Thats a possibility.

One point I think we leave out is that China's economy isn't exactly innovating a whole heck of a lot. Its very dependent on the Western world for the creation of technology. China then turns around and mass produces it for bottom dollar, or pirates it.

The creative forces in the world will remain strongly controlled by Western markets if for no other reason, as a byproduct of the educational infrastructure in place. Any Chinese or Indian for that matter desiring a strong education will recieve that education in a western nation, and most often in English.

Until China and India begin creating, rather than simply being cheap labor markets for outsourcing, there's no reason to believe their languages will become anything other than local cultural standbys.

I have the impression that the Chinese economy is a a house of cards waiting on a trigger to cause it's collapse. Between the wide divide between the haves and have-nots and the corrupt banking system it wouldn't take much of a world-wide recession to push it over the edge. The dictatorial government is the only thing keeping social order between the different segments. If the underclass does get a taste of the good life they may just decide that want a lot more of it and they want it now.

What happens then? Another 1989 Tiananmen Square incident or a repeat of Mao's Cultural Revolution? I don't think a capitalist economy and a dictatorial government can co-exist for long. I don't have a crystal ball but I could see the Chinese government forcing it's way into Taiwan in order to create a global crisis and distract it's population away from it's national problems.

I also wonder how many Indians move to China in order to take advantage of it's educational and economic opportunities? Do they have the freedom to openly criticize the the Chinese government or even access the Internet freely? Even though America has made some bad misteps in foreign policy the last 6 years I wouldn't count it down and out any time soon. It wasn't that long ago that the popular opinion was that Japan was going to overtake the USA in economic power and that didn't happen.

Nationalistic rant over. :angry:

Well, since we all now have an understanding of global economics and politics... :whistling:

Since Hispanics are the majority of immigrants in the US I think learning the basics of the English language should be a prerequisite to them receiving a full free education. Free education should be given to any child born in the US, but they should be learning English as a primary language, even if it means removing other academics from their curriculum. Parents should also be required to take English classes and have a good grasp of English within a set time period. It would save the US education system the expense of teaching ELI students all the available courses in both English and Spanish. Also, it would empower Hispanic parents to help with their child's education instead of them just dumping their kids into the US education system and removing themselves from their education. Not all English speaking parents are involved in their child's education, but being ELI shouldn't be an excuse.

Well, since we all now have an understanding of global economics and politics... :whistling:

Since Hispanics are the majority of immigrants in the US I think learning the basics of the English language should be a prerequisite to them receiving a full free education. Free education should be given to any child born in the US, but they should be learning English as a primary language, even if it means removing other academics from their curriculum. Parents should also be required to take English classes and have a good grasp of English within a set time period. It would save the US education system the expense of teaching ELI students all the available courses in both English and Spanish. Also, it would empower Hispanic parents to help with their child's education instead of them just dumping their kids into the US education system and removing themselves from their education. Not all English speaking parents are involved in their child's education, but being ELI shouldn't be an excuse.

Archived