Trolley Route

richyb83

Iniated by the Downtown Development District, the trolley system is a nice change of pace in a car dominated city. Many Downtown workers enjoy it because it's a quick, comfortable and easy way to get around. The trolley makes 20 stops. It runs as far North as Capitol Park to the opposite side downtown on South-end to the Sheraton/Belle of BR. Also through the CBD and the emerging Cultural District between the La.Arts & Science Museum/Planetarium, Old State Capitol, and Shaw Center for the Arts.

trolley06ma3.gif

*Not to be confused with the New Orleans Streetcar. The trolley does not run on actual rails in the street. BR's trolley system is similar to Dallas.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What would be cool is if the trolley system could someday evolve into a people mover which is basically an small/localized scale rail system.

Here's one in Miami.

250px-Mover-gc.jpg

MetroMover is a good system, it's 100% automated and it cost 25 cents. A good way to get some nice views of the city. I see that trolley every weekday, never once did I get on it. I'll do it Monday, take some pics and share them here.

Even though they are, as you say, buses, this is a great start toward getting people out of their cars. Maybe the system could eventually be expanded all the way to the L.S.U. campus!

BR is one of those places where people love cars too much to give up for mass transit. I've never seen more than 4 people on these bus-trolley cars. It's mainly mobile eye candy.

The only trolley-type vehicles I've seen in Dallas are the ones on rails which are actually trains. Do they have a different system other than that?

Are these trolleys on bus frames?

There's a classic trolley system on rails on McKinney Ave through Uptown Dallas and the Village. That's besides the DART system which is true light rail. Little Rock used to use those trolley buses before they got the genuine rail trolleys. They're mostly for show but lots of cities use them with success to run between tourist sites in downtowns.

• 1 year later...

Was not sure to put this pic in Wayfinding Signage thread or not??

Another new sign for the Trolley stop on Fourth Street

32608041gr7.jpg

That's a cool looking building right there in the background where that BMW is parked. What building is that? (the brick one)

That's a cool looking building right there in the background where that BMW is parked. What building is that? (the brick one)

That's BRAF or the Baton Rouge Area Foundation building. It was one of the first progressive, environmentally sensitive buildings in the city.

Yes the BRAF Bldg. is cool! They did a great job renovating it. I had heard they have outgrown their building and would possibly move into something new at the old Advocate property's planned mix-use site on Lafayette Street.

I agree they did a fantastic job with that building. I always comment on how I love how they incorporated the old with new modern elements. :shades:

• 3 years later...

From the DDD...

Three new trolleys were debuted today...

trolleysareback2.jpg

New Trolleys to Debut!

On Monday, August 8th, Downtown will debute three new trolleys to service the area needs. Within three months, the FREE Downtown Trolley Service by CATS, will feature GPS capability where their movement can be tracked via smart phone or computer. Please hop aboard and take a ride on the beautiful new trolleys this Monday! This is a great way to get to restaurants, merchants, businesses and attractions in the downtown area.

http://www.downtownbatonrouge.org/downloads/pdf/temporary%20downtown%20trolley.pdf

• 1 month later...

Board to consider 'best initiative from CATS ever' tonight

A downtown trolley program could get the green light at today's meeting of the Capital Area Transit System board of commissioners. If approved, the Trolley Rouge service would run from downtown to various attractions and retail locations throughout Baton Rouge on Saturdays and Sundays during football season. The service would be a boon for riders and the city alike, says CATS CEO Brian Marshall. "(Trolley Rouge) is an economic development program, an opportunity to take people around who in other circumstances might not be able to do so," Marshall says. He referred specifically to LSU football crowds, which he says could provide a jolt to city merchants. "Visitors to Baton Rouge sometimes have trouble getting around; streets change, traffic is often bad on the highways. With Trolley Rouge, they can board and alight as they please," he says. Marshall says that private funding will cover 75% of the $14,000 cost of Trolley Rouge, with the difference to be covered by fare revenue. Fares would be $10, which would get passengers unlimited trips for the day. Though the fare exceeds that of other public transit, Marshall says, he is confident the initiative will pass and will prove popular to riders. Three existing trolleys will be used for the service. "Trolley Rouge is absolutely the best initiative from CATS, ever," he says. "CATS had been seen as lacking a purpose for the common good. Now we're giving value and purpose to the city." The board meets at 4:30 p.m. at 2250 Florida Blvd. in the second-floor conference room.

Businessreport.com

• 4 years later...

It's a shame the older pics above no longer show up in this long time dormant thread..hope the Trolley survives

Marketing campaign fails to attract riders to Red Stick Trolley, route’s future in doubt

https://www.businessreport.com/business/marketing-campaign-fails-attract-riders-red-stick-trolley-routes-future-doubt-2

*Photo courtesy of 225 Magazine

Trolley.cvb_.jpg?q=60&crop=faces&fit=cro

• 3 weeks later...

Archived