Union County Mall?

ChrissieCM

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monroe Mall was purchased by a different ownership group about a year ago with some talking of renovations, new tenants, and possible expansion. I know Belk is going to expand their Monroe store. I think some developers are afraid to go the old mall route these days since so many malls seem to be going the way of the dinosaurs. Union County is quickly growing but it's really only growing in the portions of the county near Charlotte and those people tend to not have anything to do with Union County. They seem to work and entertain in Mecklenburg County perfectly content to make the drive to SouthPark for exclusivity purposes. The people in the southern and eastern portions of the county and Anson County are really the main demographic who shop in Union County and tend to be less wealthy which hurts retail prospects on the whole. I think Monroe Mall will be brought up to the standards of the mall in Rock Hill (if that's saying much), The rest of the Union County shopping dollar will be sucked away into Big Box retailers, A smattering of small new "neo urbanist" developments like The Bridges of Mint Hill or Cureton in Waxhaw, and our retail rich neighbor South Charlotte with it's power centers like Stonecrest, The Arboretum, Carolina Place, and SouthPark.

Sorry if that wasn't the answer you were looking for.

There was talk about a mall coming possibly when the bypass opens, which would be a sizable mall, but no official word on that happening. The demographics for eastern and western Union County are completely different anyway, most western Unioners shop at SouthPark or Carolina Place and on the other side it's Wal-mart, Monroe Mall or CP. I don't know if union is quite ready for a new mall, judging on how the new power center w/ target is doing. (also check the charlotte coffee house subforum for more information on union county retail)

As a Union County native myself I've had to learn to just give up hope. :dontknow: Union County won't change a thing until it's way, way too late. So much of Union County is gone compared to what it used to be. When Providence finally gets that expansion you can kiss any semblance of Weddington and Waxhaw goodbye. Not that either is really recognizable as their pre-2000 selves anymore anyway. It's sad, Western Union County is historically quite amazing. I doubt many of the new residents know much about it's long history though. I've just had to learn to let that place go, it's gone. :(

Archived