3 Developers Propose Major Project in Bloomfield

HartfordTycoon

Even if Evergreen Walk had its own housing component, it still would be somewhat limited (it would be a vast improvement, at least allowing for its own residents to walk to shops). In order for "new urbanist" type developments to function properly, though, they need to be built adjacent to existing urban development, not out in rural or sprawling suburban areas. And they must have good transit connections to other high density areas. If they're right up next to existing dense areas, then people from those existing areas can overflow and access the development by foot or transit. If they're isolated, then everyone will just drive there and it will defeat the supposed congestion-mitigating aspects of these developments.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even if Evergreen Walk had its own housing component, it still would be somewhat limited (it would be a vast improvement, at least allowing for its own residents to walk to shops). In order for "new urbanist" type developments to function properly, though, they need to be built adjacent to existing urban development, not out in rural or sprawling suburban areas. And they must have good transit connections to other high density areas. If they're right up next to existing dense areas, then people from those existing areas can overflow and access the development by foot or transit. If they're isolated, then everyone will just drive there and it will defeat the supposed congestion-mitigating aspects of these developments.

Okay, look. Everyone asked for walkable. The center is walkable. Very much so. Wide brick sidewalks, cross walks where needed, storefronts etc.

Seeing it in person is much different than a store layout.

EWalk2.jpg

Can you walk there from your neighborhood? Sure, if you want too. There are sidewalks on the roads. I wouldn't want to walk there...too far for me. I can walk to DT Manchester if I wanted to as well - but I don't feel like walking 3 miles just to get a pair of socks. I'll drive. Sorry.

You're not alone. I don't think many people would want to walk there. It's a virtual island.

Going from one shopping center to another is like island hopping.

Maybe we can start to focus on better integration of these elements.

The ignorance (www.biteme.com) started back with the statement about walking in Hartford because of the drivers. The most dangerous time to walk (or drive) in Hartford is when the offices let out and the suburban drivers in their frantic quest to get out of the big bad city break multitudes of driving laws, cast away any thoughts of the safety of those around them and ignore basic manners (if they ever had any). If the city put traffic cops at every intersection downtown and on the major avenues heading out of the city, ticketed every fool who blocks the box or cuts off other drivers by crossing 3 lanes to get to a highway entrance, and charged increasingly heavy fines for each occurence, Hartford's financial issues would be solved.

Blah blah blah blah blah....

Drive down Albany Ave towards Hartford between 3-5pm every day like I do. It's a freaking MAD HOUSE of people stopping in the middle of the road, multiple multiple people just randomly crossing the road, double parking, no signals, cut offs etc. It's a friggin uncontrolled ZOO. I'm constantly "aware" so I don't get slammed into or hit an opening door of a doulbe parked car or kill one of the wandering "road crossers".

Stereotypes? Where? I must have missed that because I was speaking of reality.

Ghetto culture can exist in Hartford, Glastonbury or anywhere. Since when does ghetto mean poor black inner city Hartford? I certainly never made that statement...it's in your head that way.

Now, have you ever been to Hartford on a Friday or Sat night walking around the streets? Not too many kids from Avon there with 15 year old clapped out sh*tboxes with with 22's, half assed beat up body kits, and fart cans hanging off the back and trunks rattling from thumping music - driving around like crackheads...Sorry, it's some of the residents of Hartford in particular my statement was targeted at. Thats the reality. Sorry if it hurts.

Now stop blaming the suburbs for Hartfords cultural problems. It's getting a tad old.

Well I agree with all three of you on this one, Hass, Papabear and GHartford.

Not sure what a cultural problem is either, but if you mean "drug culture" then yes there is a problem and, um, yes, it is in large part thanks to suburban buyers.

Also, it's true that suburban drivers are terrible as they scramble out of downtown at 5 pm...

But Hass is totally right about a lot of city residents and their vibrating cars stopping in the middle of the road for no reason. It's pretty obnoxious, and it's a running joke I have w/ my fiancee who recently moved here b/c I warned her that cars often stop dead without warning, so always give enough distance and be prepared to go around. Oh, and while you might expect somebody to hurry up a little across a curb cut if you're trying to pull into say a gas station and you've got a line of cars waiting for you, um, no, they'll slow down to make you wait. I love the Beat, and I have my own views about why so many of its residents are poor or criminal or ignorant, or whatever... but whatever the reason, the fact of the matter remains that the city's roads play stage to some of the most rude and obnoxious displays of Hartford's ills.

Now, have you ever been to Hartford on a Friday or Sat night walking around the streets? Not too many kids from Avon there with 15 year old clapped out sh*tboxes with with 22's, half assed beat up body kits, and fart cans hanging off the back and trunks rattling from thumping music - driving around like crackheads...Sorry, it's some of the residents of Hartford in particular my statement was targeted at. Thats the reality. Sorry if it hurts.

Now stop blaming the suburbs for Hartfords cultural problems. It's getting a tad old.

I don't think anyone said it was only in the city - but there are a disproportionate number of those type of hoopties around the inner cities. Sorry, but that's reality...and don't try and tell me some crap about being poor impoverished people who can only afford old junk. If you can afford to put $1500.00 wheels and a $1200.00 stereo in some $800.00 car that point is a joke.

Archived