Acadian Village

byrde

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

biz%20acadian%20village%20030707.jpg

The 11-acre Acadian Village on Perkins Road at Acadian Thruway will open in late 2008. The nearly $20 million project will feature about 30 town houses overlooking a retail center of 130,000 square feet.

Read the article below for more details.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/6347402.html

Nice! I've been waiting to hear more about this project for awhile, what a drastic improvement! Hopefully the grocery store anchoring the development won't hurt business over at Bet-R. But still....nice! Thanks for posting byrde.

Thanks for starting this topic Bryde. WOW is right! That rendering looks really nice. Residential on top is the way to go; it helps create a more vibrant place. A great location too! Wonder what might replace Books-A-Million. Might this be a better location than them moving to the new Towne Center??

I am so glad developer Camm Morton moved to BR a few years ago. He has put together one great idea after another!

*Redeveloping old Bon Marche Mall to become Bonne Carre business park and La.Technology Park

*Renovating the old Capitol House into the Hilton Capitol Center

*Laurel Tower(being reconfigured)

*Major infil project Smiley Heights-200 acreTND in the works

*Was getting involved with the Advocate site on the riverfront

And several other smaller projects too.

>>>Now this!!! This should compliment everything going on around the area like the new huge Crescent condo project on University Lake . And the several small infil projects along Perkins Road.

Absolutely incredible how much is going on everywhere!

It took so long to get this going mostly because FEMA vehicles used the large parking lot tying up the lease.

Wonder what might replace Books-A-Million. Might this be a better location than them moving to the new Towne Center??

As I was reading the article I thought Books a Million might want to stay right where they are. This would be a GREAT location for them.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Good news?? :thumbsup:

Robert Fresh Market coming to Acadian Village?

The State Bond Commission has approved $4 million in GO Zone bonds for a Robert Fresh Market grocery store in the redeveloped Acadian Village Shopping Center at Perkins Road and Acadian Thruway. Robert is a New Orleans-based chain, with locations in neighborhoods around the Crescent City. Commercial Properties Realty Trust is redeveloping Acadian Village, which used to be home to Wal-Mart and Books-A-Million. The first stage of the redevelopment, an Acme Oyster House restaurant, is set to open in the fall.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

I think it is good an bad news. What is good is that the run-down shopping center is going to have tenants, the bad news is, I think the "acadian village" we have been expecting has been scrapped(im referring to the renderings with the white stucco and green roofs)..Basically, they are just putting tenants in the old walmart, and arnt tearing it down and building a new complex like they had earlier stated...

Well they don't have to tear it completely down but they are going to have to do some major renovations on it. The first thing they are going to have to renovated is the facade. In economics you learn that 80% don't make it. So they are going to have to give the building a whole new look to trick ppl into thinking that its a totally new one. They CERTAINLY can't leave it as it is!!!! :shades:

• 2 months later...

Thanks for yall's replies :thumbsup: Yes this is GOOD news! I'm was still hoping for residential lofts on the 3rd or 4th floors above the market/retail. The Acme Oysterhouse is moving right along and should be ready in the Fall; if they hustle they could open before football season!

Thanks for yall's replies :thumbsup: Yes this is GOOD news! I'm was still hoping for residential lofts on the 3rd or 4th floors above the market/retail. The Acme Oysterhouse is moving right along and should be ready in the Fall; if they hustle they could open before football season!

I LOVE Acme Oyster House. I am totally syked about us getting one. On their menu at the one in NOLA it mentions "their newest location opening soon in Baton Rouge". :shades:

Good news with the demolition of the old Wal-Mart!!! Down the street I just wish they would re-develop the old Perkins Road Hardware that burned-down back into a hardware store. There are enough restuarants in the area IMO. But the residential lofts on top will be cool!

Work starts at Perkins Road sites

Demolition is well under way at two Perkins Road sites that will be the spots for high-profile, mixed-use developments. The Acadian Village Shopping Center at Perkins and Acadian Thruway is starting to come down, and demolition is almost complete at Perkins Road Hardware location. What will go into those two locations is still sort of unknown: Officials with Commercial Properties Realty Trust, which owns Acadian Village, and Donnie Jarreau Companies, which owns Perkins Road Hardware, are holding back on some details. Perkins Road Hardware will contain apartments and two restaurants, one a fine dining establishment owned by a New Orleans operator, the other a casual pizza parlor run by Zippy's owner Neal Hendrick. Acadian Village will contain the Acme Oyster House, which is scheduled to open this fall, and the State Bond Commission has approved $4 million for a Robert Fresh Market grocery store.

• 1 month later...

Look at this! :w00t: This is way better than the orignal plan. Let's hope they can get it done. :D

"News Alert: Plans filed for Acadian Village redevelopment

Commercial Properties Realty Trust has filed plans for a redeveloped Acadian Village shopping center, which will include retailers, restaurants and 53 rental units. The shopping center at Perkins Road and South Acadian Thruway will include more than 100,000 feet of retail space spread out over five buildings. Apartments will be built above two of the buildings; rents have not been set but they will be priced at market rates. While no construction timeline was announced, there had been earlier talk that work would start in the first half of 2009. The first new tenant in Acadian Village, New Orleans-based Acme Oyster House, opened Wednesday. Commercial Properties would not disclose any potential tenants, saying it was policy not to say anything until leases are signed. The State Bond Commission recently approved $4 million in GO Zone funding for Robert Fresh Market, an upscale New Orleans grocery store. Robert told the commission it planned on using the money to open a store in Acadian Village. Commercial Properties has owned the site for about four years, around the time the Wal-Mart store that anchored the center closed in order to relocate to its current College Drive location between Interstate 10 and Perkins Road. The city-parish Planning Commission is set to vote on a rezoning for Acadian Village at its Oct. 20 meeting."

AcadianVillagefiling2edit.jpg

AcadianVillagefiling_.jpg

^Something other than Gustav was part of the reason I finally started a Pennington thread the other day; but it didn't seem to work with no replies at all :rolleyes::lol: Of course it wasn't all good news either.

What an improvement for sure!!! Good News!!! Nice looking mixed-use project at a great location!!! I hope this happens too! It's almost as if Camm Morton listened to my request to make this at least 4-stories(53-units will work!); Something 7 or 8 floors like Southgate Towers may have been too tall for the neighbors across Perkins Rd. Thanks Camm and his co. for all of the nice re-development properties; he has helped reshape BR with Bonne Carre; Hilton Capitol Center and this!!!!

Yeah nqiunt1; wonder what happens to that glass company on the corner??

With my Fall schedule and a baby, don't post as much as I'd like to; like in the past.

JFYI this is where the article was found :thumbsup:

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

BTW- Nate told me when I was posting an article that it was not to be more than 4 or 5 sentences(UP Rule); my Plan BR post was waaay too long; but he's always given us some leeway.

Archived