Acadian Village

byrde

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like they were talking about the 'dale streets.

Okay. That's what I thought. Most of those streets have enough right of way for sidewalks, but they have open drainage that would have to be covered.

They'd have to change the whole format of the street. There's one that is already curb and gutter (maybe Christian street?). If they don't curb it, they'd pretty much just be inviting people to park on the sidewalks.

I don't think they'd need to update all of them....just one or two. Preferably one near this shopping center and another closer to the overpass.

Those streets are probably one of my favorite neighborhoods in Baton Rouge. My aunt and her family have lived there for years.

Okay. That's what I thought. Most of those streets have enough right of way for sidewalks, but they have open drainage that would have to be covered.

They'd have to change the whole format of the street. There's one that is already curb and gutter (maybe Christian street?). If they don't curb it, they'd pretty much just be inviting people to park on the sidewalks.

I don't think they'd need to update all of them....just one or two. Preferably one near this shopping center and another closer to the overpass.

Those streets are probably one of my favorite neighborhoods in Baton Rouge. My aunt and her family have lived there for years.

Cedardale is the one. 

Precious neighborhood. There was a little place on Ferndale I really wanted. To be that close to the overpass...

Sidewalks or not, nothing would've kept me away from Zippy's :)

Cedardale is the one.

Precious neighborhood. There was a little place on Ferndale I really wanted. To be that close to the overpass...

Sidewalks or not, nothing would've kept me away from Zippy's :)

Your post reminded me of something.....

Does anyone know if parking at Acadian Village will be monitored by those crooks at Riverside Towing?

They are why I refuse to go to Zippy's to this day.

• 3 weeks later...

Trader Joe's to open tomorrow...

http://www.wafb.com/story/23822566/sneak-peek-inside-trader-joes-before-grand-opening

23822566_BG1.jpg

A tale of two developments Is the Acadian-Perkins Plaza across from Acadian Village a missed opportunity?

*long article

http://www.businessreport.com/10292013/A_tale_of_two_developments

It would be nice to have a pedestrian skywalk over Acadian Thruway connecting both shopping centers

A missed opportunity? That's being kind. Perkins Plaza is a dump with its crappy tenants and tacky banners and a cheap imbecile for a owner.

[Edit by Antrell Williams] Well well.....just drove by and looks like they took down a lot of those banners hanging off the building. I guess all it takes is a little public shaming to make people clean up their property.

Are you talking about DC's shopping center?

Yeah I hate that whole place for not rebuilding a spot for The Caterie. If they must be a complete dump, they should at least retain an iconic tenant like that.

How are those little trailers and covered glass repair places in the parking lot legal? Does he have conditional use permits for that?

How were they allowed to rebuild anything without meeting any new planning guidelines? No tree islands, "anything goes" signage, and no landscaping? Is planning and zoning that bad in Baton Rouge?

I wouldn't want to live in a town where someone can put up an ice machine with neon lighting across from your house. That level of 2nd and 3rd rate development wouldn't fly in Gonzales anymore...and shouldn't be allowed in Baton Rouge.

Who is looking out for the city when a cheap developer decides to put a trailer in the parking lot of his shopping center?

So we went to Trader Joes this weekend and it was a disaster. First there's not enough parking for the amount of stores there. Secondly, trader joes is tiny. So tiny that you're not allowed to walk up to a open register, instead you have to wait along the wall against the liquor aisle and wait for a open cashier. Think of it like Best Buy but instead of a rope line there is a employee yelling at people to not cut in line. Ridiculous. I don't see us going back even after the crowds die down. Secondly, the light at the entrance is backing up a lot of traffic. Add the bus stop right there and it's just head shaking embarrassing. We went to Acme to eat and they were ticked that their parking was overtaken by the new stores. We saw several cars parked at the gas station and people were walking next door to shop. How long before cars start getting booted at that Circle K.

It's a struggle to think of anything positive.

Also EBR is looking at the Acadian Perkins plaza for a library site. Yes, a strip mall.

So we went to Trader Joes this weekend and it was a disaster. First there's not enough parking for the amount of stores there. Secondly, trader joes is tiny. So tiny that you're not allowed to walk up to a open register, instead you have to wait along the wall against the liquor aisle and wait for a open cashier. Think of it like Best Buy but instead of a rope line there is a employee yelling at people to not cut in line. Ridiculous. I don't see us going back even after the crowds die down. Secondly, the light at the entrance is backing up a lot of traffic. Add the bus stop right there and it's just head shaking embarrassing. We went to Acme to eat and they were ticked that their parking was overtaken by the new stores. We saw several cars parked at the gas station and people were walking next door to shop. How long before cars start getting booted at that Circle K.

It's a struggle to think of anything positive.

Also EBR is looking at the Acadian Perkins plaza for a library site. Yes, a strip mall.

I'd say everything you mentioned is perfectly normal when the long anticipated Trader Joe's opens its first Louisiana location. It will die down. It always does. It's just the lookieloos. 

Well let's see:

1) Acadian Village buffers I-10. In a town where people don't ride a bus, what makes you think people (in a car town in a car state) are going to ride rail to a strip mall that buffers the interstate?

2) Light rail won't increase the foot print of the strip mall.

I realize you're a rail fan but saying "light rail" to any problem in Louisiana is just a cop out. Acadian village is too small, not enough parking was set aside for it, it doesn't have a adequate entrance/exit, and "light rail" doesn't do anything to help the planners of this city realize their incompetence.

True, but the overall footprint is just too small.

Was this a grand opening week for the other stores there too?

It's a similar size to other Trader Joe's. they are always crowded when they open

And a library does not go in a strip mall. I'd be furious if taxpayer money is spent on a long term lease for a piece of Claitor's dilapidated shopping center.

If you can't find tenants....clean up the building or lower the rent.

• 1 month later...

Archived