Acadian Village

byrde

Yeah, I know that it's not supposed to be too long, but I figured that was still too short an article to take an expert from and link to the rest.

Here is the Advocate's article on Acadian Village.

Commercial Properties files to rezone Acadian Village site

acadian%20render%20091208.jpg

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/28272779.html

"The first phase puts a strip of adjoined buildings for commercial use along the back of the development, with a second level consisting of 14 residential units. A second phase shows a four-story building on the west side — behind the Acme Oyster House that opened Wednesday — that would have commercial space on the first floor and residential units on the second, third and fourth floors."

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

acadian%20render%20091208.jpg

This photo give a much better sense of what the development will look like. It looks even better with those two buildings up front. My only concern with having the 4 story building behind Acme Oyster House is who will lease an apartment that has a view of I10. :ermm: That being said, I do like the idea of some height on this property.

Me too!!! I like this mixed-use trend with residential lofts on the top floors. We are begining to see more of this type of development in BR; more so with smaller scale projects like Perkins Palms; Kress at Third. Even the Fieldhouse condo's at the northgates of LSU has some street level retail.

The Downtown Development crew is really exploring more of these options as well!

Hopefully those plans for Westmoreland shopping center can still happen one day; that would be a perfect fit for Mid-city.

We always thought it would have been cool for residential lofts to go on top of Towne Center at Cedar Lodge instead way off to the side.

• 1 month later...

Demolition looks just about complete; this project needs to happen ASAP! This should look nice from I-10 when it finally happens! Sorry part of this was also posted in BR Growth; along with few other devlopments.

Planning Commission looks at Acadian Village

The city-parish Planning Commission is set to vote on redevelopment plans for Acadian Village Shopping Center at its meeting later today. Commercial Properties Realty Trust plans to turn Acadian Village into a mixed-use development with more than 100,000 feet of retail space and 53 apartments over the stores and restaurants. Construction could start in the first half of 2009.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/dai...008/oct/20/663/

Thanks for the update Zackman :thumbsup: I read something about that in the paper. What's up with that civic aSSociation?? Those are the same clowns that for more than 10 years fought Wampold's Stanford Ave development; thankfully the Crescent condo's at University Lake finally was built; despite them. Did they not know that would be one of the nicest new projects in the BR area?? And only make their property values increase??

Same thing with Rouzan; it's time to stop fighting progress!

• 1 month later...

I guess the parking concerns are being put to rest; the neighboring shopping center across Acadian Thwy needs to chill!

Council approves rezoning for Acadian Village

Despite objections from representatives of a neighboring shopping center, the Metro Council on Tuesday gave final approval for a $30 million mixed-use development on the site of the recently demolished Wal-Mart at the northwest corner of Perkins Road and South Acadian Thruway.

The proposed Acadian Village received approval in 2005 to build 132,575 square feet of commercial development on the 11-acre site. Commercial Properties received approval Tuesday to convert the project to a Small Planned Unit Development and reduce the amount of commercial development space to 102,630 square feet in order to add 53 apartments.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/35115559.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived