Acadian Village

byrde

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like some type of cheesy fake french quarter/cajun theme to me. It just seems unrepresentative of Baton Rouge to me. On that note, what exactly is indicative of Baton Rouge from a style/image perspective?

I can't personally think of anything that would represent Baton Rouge. Although, I don't know many architectural styles either. People say they like to see old and new buildings together, why not incorporate that into single buildings/projects? Something like art deco and modern/contemporary.

Well, not too many cities have their own unique style, Baton Rouge conforming to that rule. That being said most cities do have a predominant style. In Baton Rouge I'd say those include art-deco, Renaissance revival and recently post-modern for public buildings. For residential, craftsman/bungalow, Greek revival/neo-classical, Acadian/French provincial/Louisuana vencular.

• 1 month later...

A new sign is up at the Perkins/S Acadia intersection for new home for Iberia Bank.

I read about it a while back. I like the looks of their banks....as far as branches go, they are pretty nice.

• 7 months later...

Stumbled across some site plans on a realtors website. The website is http://www.cprt.com/properties/?action=detail&id=30 on the left is a "site plan" PDF link.

Or go directly to http://www.cprt.com/AV_small.pdf

Dunno if any of this is new info but it boggles the mind that this property is moving at a snails pace. The Iberville bank construction is coming along though.

My goodness that design is terrible. I would have preferred for the buildings to be near the street with parking in the rear. It would have been the best fit for creating the shopping district along that stretch of Perkins.

Doesnt look too bad to me. Your idea would have been pretty tough for delivery trucks to the retail, grocer and restaurants.

Doesnt look too bad to me. Your idea would have been pretty tough for delivery trucks to the retail, grocer and restaurants.

How? There would have been a huge parking lot at the rear of the building. Leaving plenty of room for trucks to reach the service entrance of the businesses. The style of development I am referring to is called "New Urbanism." It's been done all over the country and leads to more attractive developments.

How? There would have been a huge parking lot at the rear of the building. Leaving plenty of room for trucks to reach the service entrance of the businesses. The style of development I am referring to is called "New Urbanism." It's been done all over the country and leads to more attractive developments.

I'll take the developers opinion over yours. Thanks though for trying to put cold water on this project.

Thanks for posting this update...

Agreed...Acadian Village could be a nice continuation of the Perkins Overpass area where the businesses are closer to the street..adding to the streetscape...that area has so much more potential than to be just another glorified strip shopping center behind a sea of parking...

Disapointed to see the plans dropped for the residential componet....really liked the rendering way back in post #21/pg of 08'

Suprised the FuturEBR people don't chime in on this??

My goodness that design is terrible. I would have preferred for the buildings to be near the street with parking in the rear. It would have been the best fit for creating the shopping district along that stretch of Perkins.

Terrible is a strong word. I'll have to see what kind of quality goes into the development before I judge. I would have much preferred the businesses built closer to the street. I knew restaurants would be all over this location, but I think they'd have trouble filling the large retail spaces.

The original plans weren't all that great, either.

If they widen the interstate, they'd take down the on ramps immediately west of this parcel. I think that would help link this property with the rest of the Perkins overpass area....making a more pedestrian oriented development possible.

• 3 months later...

This has already been mentioned on the other thread...also Trends seminar news

Specialty grocer deal near for Acadian Village

Commercial Properties Realty Trust has an agreement with a national specialty grocery operator to put a 15,000-square-foot store in the Acadian Village Shopping Center at the northwest corner of Perkins Road and South Acadian Thruway. Speaking at the annual real estate Trends seminar Thursday, retail broker Jonathan Walker, of Maestri Murrell Inc., said Commercial Properties won’t publicly release the name of the grocery store for another 30 days, but he said it will be the company’s first Louisiana location.

Acadian Village already has an Acme Oyster House, and a Galatoire’s restaurant will soon be under construction. The corner where Iberiabank will open in the next few weeks is owned by another developer.

Walker said the new building should be ready next spring for the grocery chain to move into and complete the interior. He said an anchor grocery store, if the deal is finalized, would be a boon to the area.

“Acme does well and they haven’t had a co-tenant in years,”

*rest of article

http://theadvocate.com/home/2552917-125/broker-deal-could-bring-grocery

• 1 month later...

I like the two comments below the article that were posted....

Work to begin on first phase of Acadian Village

Construction will begin in two weeks on the $18 million first phase of Acadian Village, which will see Galatoire’s Bistro and an unnamed specialty grocery store joining the Acme Oyster House at the 12-acre site. The development, at Acadian Thruway and Perkins Road, was host to a ceremonial groundbreaking Wednesday, where Mayor-President Kip Holden and officials from Galatoire’s, the Baton Rouge Area Foundation, Commercial Properties Realty Trust and others gathered to kick off the start of Phase I.

The 6,000-square-foot Galatoire’s will be built along Perkins Road and a driveway into the center of the development, between the Shell station and Iberiabank, which are not owned by Commercial Properties. At the back of the property — behind the grass line that marks where the former Wal-Mart was years ago — roughly 54,000 square feet of retail anchored by a specialty grocery store will be built. John Davies, chief executive officer of the Baton Rouge Area Foundation, said it will be a few weeks before an announcement will be made about other tenants. Davies said all but 20,000 square feet are under contract with the grocery chain, restaurants and boutique shops.

A site plan indicates the anchor of the strip will be 13,000 square feet, with a 5,000-square-foot and 10,920-square-foot space to one side and 11 spaces of about 2,000 square feet stretching toward Acadian. On that end, a larger 3,200-square-foot space sits on the corner with two more smaller ones facing Acadian. The $1.4 million construction of Galatoire’s should be completed by December, while the grocery-anchored retail center will be open by the fall of 2013.

Commercial Properties spokesman Mukul Verma said a later phase would be constructed in the back of the property between Acme and the retail center, though he said that has not been planned yet.

http://theadvocate.com/news/business/2968733-123/work-to-begin-on-first

• 3 weeks later...

Work to begin on first phase of Acadian Village

Construction will begin in two weeks on the $18 million first phase of Acadian Village, which will see Galatoire’s Bistro and an unnamed specialty grocery store joining the Acme Oyster House at the 12-acre site. The development, at Acadian Thruway and Perkins Road, was host to a ceremonial groundbreaking Wednesday, where Mayor-President Kip Holden and officials from Galatoire’s, the Baton Rouge Area Foundation, Commercial Properties Realty Trust and others gathered to kick off the start of Phase I.

Did this ever happen? What about the rumored upscale grocer anchor? Not sure why this project continues to struggle.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the head's up Cajun...saw the little site plan map in Advocate this morning..does not show up in article...no big deal...

Good news for the area & BR!

Trader Joe’s coming to BR center

Trader Joe’s, the popular California specialty grocery store chain known for its exotic atmosphere and eclectic product mix, will open next year in Acadian Village at Perkins Road and Acadian Thruway. Alison Mochizuki, director of national publicity for the Monrovia, Calif.-based company, said she could not give a more specific time frame.

However, Acadian Village owner Commercial Properties Realty Trust has said previously that a 54,000-square-foot building at the site will open in the fall of 2013. The 13,000-square-foot Trader Joe’s going into the building will be the specialty grocers’s first location in Louisiana, the company said. Commercial Properties knew landing Trader Joe’s would please Baton Rougeans who have become fans of the store after visiting locations in other cities,

Trader Joe’s is part of the larger redevelopment of Acadian Village.

After the Wal-Mart there was torn down, Commercial Properties, which manages the real estate assets of the Baton Rouge Area Foundation, brought in Acme Oyster House. It recently broke ground on the new 6,000-square-foot Galatoire’s restaurant, which will open in December. Galatoire’s and Trader Joe’s are part of the $18 million first phase of the 12-acre development.

No other tenants have been named for the 54,000-square-foot building, though Commercial Properties has said that all but 20,000 square feet are under contract with restaurant and boutique retail operators.

*rest of article

http://theadvocate.com/home/3392103-125/trader-joes-coming-to-br

• 2 months later...

Trader Joe's releases renderings for Baton Rouge store

We're getting our first peek at the long-awaited Trader Joe's grocery store, which is scheduled to open next September in the Acadian Village at Perkins Road and Acadian Thruway. Daily Report has obtained a copy of architectural renderings for the 13,000-square-foot specialty supermarket, which will be the anchor tenant for a 54,000-square-foot shopping center that will include several other high-end, well-known national retailers, says Tina Rance, marketing director for the property. "We are in the final lease stages with several tenants that will be a great addition to the Baton Rouge market," says Rance, who works for Commercial Properties Real Estate Trust, which is developing the project. "Baton Rouge is the first Louisiana location for Trader Joe's, and we feel that it will be a regional draw as well." Renderings for the project, which is being designed by architects Antunovich Associates of Chicago, depict a stylish brick façade with a distinctly Louisiana flair, including Palladian-style windows and historically inspired, cast-iron luminaries. According to information released by Trader Joe's in July, the store's interior will feature a festive décor that mixes cedar covered walls and Hawaiian motifs with local art. The shopping center will sit behind the new Galatoire's Bistro, which is under development and on schedule to open in December. Check out the renderings here.

http://www.businessr.../daily-reportPM

Archived