"Sphere of Influence"

I saw this and thought some of you guys might like it. The website, censusscope.org, shows different maps of different "spheres of influence".

This map is interesting, showing results of their online survey to this question:'

"On the level of North America as a whole, what major city do you feel has the most cultural and economic influence on your area overall?"

415673655_8a1260f0a3_o.gif

It's really interesting how much influence Detroit has on Michigan, even the farthest reaches of the Upper Peninsula. It's also interesting how large Grand Rapids' influence is reaching, especially along the lakeshore as far North as Ludington or so.

There are also maps with identifications to NBA teams, NFL teams, and many other aspects. Post your favorite.

http://www.commoncensus.org/

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty interesting. GR's area of influence seems to cover the old MSA and then some. This helps vindicate my disagreement of revisions made to GR's MSA which omitted Muskegon and Holland and dropped the population from 1.2 million to 700,000 people.

There's a disclaimer on the website. I want to wait longer as more votes are tallied. What it looks like from this map below is that a minority is represented highly earlier on, but as more votes are cast things change.

415988948_3642f8f5d5_o.gif

Here's updated maps as time and tallies progressed:

415988940_0391c33536_o.jpg

415988942_9e9b55b618_o.jpg

415988946_d26f5be25b_o.jpg

415988947_27b89ed81f_o.jpg

Word goes quick and UPrs mobilize!

415992112_88467b603d_o.jpg

Archived