The "C" / Circle at SouthEnd by Crescent (Duke)

smuggest

• 3 months later...

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't look much like construction to me! Looks more like the same pile of dirt that has been there for a year... just divided into 2 now. I don't much like the new "C" design either but let's get on with it or NOT. The only thing worse than lousy design is lousy design that takes an eternity to construct. Anyone know what the size of the retail space in the NE corner of the building is going to be?

That's too bad about the Trolley. It sure did add a lot of color to the area. Could someone explain better the whole streetcar angle. I'm not sure I understand the idea.

The Arlington does in fact have a pool on the top of its tower. You can actually see it if you look at the Arlington on Google Earth or any other aerial views of the area. I saw this site when I went to take the pictures of the LRT last week. It appears that the main things this property will have going is the pool/green areas on the "alleyways" and the access to the LRT. I am wondering how this project will look with the Arlington's bright pink in contrast to it. I think this may be an eye soar. I was really hoping that area of s. blvd would have properties that worked well with the bright pink Arlington. I think it's a very special area of Charlotte; reminds me to like a beach strip maybe in Florida or Myrtle. The dark colors and syle of C really kind of ruins what I had hoped for this stretch to be...

• 4 weeks later...

Are there any building permit denials for a structure being flat out ugly?

I somewhat think that Morrison might have paid off Duke to get their project along the transit line to look as communistic as possible for their propaganda photos.

The optimist in me doesn't hate this as much as anyone else. It reminds me of some apartments I have seen in Berlin (put aside your judgments about communist architecture), there has to be non-descript infill in cities to make you appreciate the really amazing architecture. Bring on the density! and the positive facets will follow to support the new population!

It's not just that the architecture is that bad (it is) but the amazing amount of effort that was put into making this section of South Blvd have 0 urban presence. If they reversed the site plan, it would be marginally better, but compared to what was originally proposed, this is an utter failure in urban design. The other issue is that this property has been vacant for so long, that I don't understand the rush to develop it now. Why not wait 3-5 more years and do it right?

I'm fairly new to the area, so I may be asking a rhetorical question here but what kind of substance were they on when they designed this thing? I'm certainly no architect, but my goodness it is ugly... I'd rather just look at the pile of dirt that's sitting there now. Maybe we can start a petition to prevent it from ever being built :rolleyes:

I've never had a problem with the Arlington. I don't know that pink would have been such a big deal if the developer would have shown it on the rendering when he started selling the building (there are old original renderings of The Arlington somewhere on here -- you'd be surprised what it originally was supposed to be, much higher, different color, spires at the top). To most I think the develper has always been the issue, not so much the building.

The views are great, the rooftop terrace has amazing views of the skyline, and I think in years when it doesn't stand so "alone" it will be a great facet to a skyline stretching down South.

The Arlington is a signature building here in Charlotte. I love it. Having that unique pink glass stands out amongst all of the buildings in downtown. It adds a lot of flavor to S. Blvd. Then comes "C"... flavorless, discusting... But 2 thumbs up on the Arlington. I know it's a bit boxy, but this building is 30 years old! And I might add after 30 years, it looks great. I could only imagine the views from there.

The rendering is nice, although nothing like it is. Now that rendering, is that an official rendering from back in the 70's, because I think I see BofA corporate there, which was built in 92'. The mind games...

The Arlington is a signature building here in Charlotte. I love it. Having that unique pink glass stands out amongst all of the buildings in downtown. It adds a lot of flavor to S. Blvd. Then comes "C"... flavorless, discusting... But 2 thumbs up on the Arlington. I know it's a bit boxy, but this building is 30 years old! And I might add after 30 years, it looks great. I could only imagine the views from there.

The rendering is nice, although nothing like it is. Now that rendering, is that an official rendering from back in the 70's, because I think I see BofA corporate there, which was built in 92'. The mind games...

• 4 weeks later...

Count me in as a fan of the Pink building too. I agree with all above and I'd also add that the floorplan design is pretty nice as well. All that said, I can't figure out why 5 years later they still haven't been able to sell out the building... in fact, the new strategy seems to be to try to lease the still unsold units! I looked at buying there a couple years ago but found that despite the large number of unsold units they were absolutely not interested in dealing on price. Strangest development sales strategy I've ever seen... and it really makes me wonder what the market is for higher priced housing in South End. I suspect the Arlington sales experience is having a effect on the thinking of all the new developers in SE... Maybe the only thing that will sell or rent at this point is the low end junk like "C"?

Count me in as a fan of the Pink building too. I agree with all above and I'd also add that the floorplan design is pretty nice as well. All that said, I can't figure out why 5 years later they still haven't been able to sell out the building... in fact, the new strategy seems to be to try to lease the still unsold units! I looked at buying there a couple years ago but found that despite the large number of unsold units they were absolutely not interested in dealing on price. Strangest development sales strategy I've ever seen... and it really makes me wonder what the market is for higher priced housing in South End. I suspect the Arlington sales experience is having a effect on the thinking of all the new developers in SE... Maybe the only thing that will sell or rent at this point is the low end junk like "C"?

Archived