The "C" / Circle at SouthEnd by Crescent (Duke)

smuggest

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's a divided opinion, one that I have disagreed with. Everything can't be the same, it's nice to see a variety of styles and colors amongst the city. That is why Avenue is raved about after all (glass color). Nonetheless, I respect your opinion, just decide that I love the Arlington and it's bold statement of pink. Architecturally it isn't the best, however.

Height AND commercial / retail. There is huge opportunity missed if developers continue to leave out these components in Southend projects. Bunches of residents who will still have to drive for shopping and other needs. Defeats the purpose of urban living.

The problem with that is available land. Develop everything in Southend with mostly or all residential and office, you don't have anywhere for it to come. Right now whole parts of the area are being developed adding lots of residents, but no place for them to shop, eat, or relax. I don't intend to imply retail and commercial can't be added somewhere, but whole stretches without it can make that not so convenient or easy to walk to. The point of better urban planning and development is to have these close to where the people are...

Please make no assumptions. Charlotte has a lot of incredibly intuitive & brilliant urban planners. All that I can tell you is that as a newer member (but being a professional in the field and a native Charlottean...7th-Generation actually) & having looked at posts from several years ago that brought up questions, concerns, & predictions on all facets of real estate, many times those issues were addressed/answered some time in the future. Alas, many times the predictions and assumptions have proven inconsistent, but on this one, I would apply my above statement.

From their website: From sun up to sun down, C provides a spectacular view of Uptown's growing skyline.

This seems like blatant false advertising. For one thing, the picture above the caption is taken from infront of the Arlington. The views of the city from "C" will undoubtedly be blocked by the brick condos/retail--with Pancake House--that are the same height as "C", and the Arlington. I suppose there's a chance that those on the top floors facing north will have a partial view of the city, but hardly what anyone would call "spectacular."

I really hate the design of this "thing". Do they really think that with the hundreds of residents in the complex, all the people living/working within a half-mile radius, AND the presence of a light-rail station, that the only retail they can support is a restaurant?! This location seems like a great place for a grocery store--seeing as how the closest one is.....the HT on East?

I keep hoping they'll revert back to the original design. While not perfect, it had more height, more visual interest, more residential units, and more retail/office space. Or I just hope the "thing" won't be built at all and they'll sell the land to another developer.

I guess there's still hope for either until construction begins... :dunno:

Archived