The "C" / Circle at SouthEnd by Crescent (Duke)

smuggest

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crescent has been having some internal changes for development teams and projects like this. My source would not let out much more, and I didn't press and we didn't talk about this project directly, but there could be some good coming out of it. Or they might just be finding a way to build the same old thing and make more money. I'm hoping they've gotten some presssure to do something better to this important location for Southend, the Rail Line, and South Blvd. This pocket will be very visible from all and will continue to help set the tone for the area.

• 2 weeks later...

While I am not certain of this, it appears to me that the grading they are doing now on this site is consistent with the original awful commie block design. Apparently, when Crescent heard the 'market' telling them to do apartments rather than condos, they missed the market telling them not to build total crape.

While I am not certain of this, it appears to me that the grading they are doing now on this site is consistent with the original awful commie block design. Apparently, when Crescent heard the 'market' telling them to do apartments rather than condos, they missed the market telling them not to build total crape.

For a while it appeared they were doing the "prongs" facing South. It appears to me that they are still doing prongs, but that there is some variation going on - the prongs look like they may be connecting in different places. In any case, its darn near impossible to tell at this point.

I've been thinking and have decided that I care more about green-ness and density than aesthetics so I retract my previously posted statement that I would rather this doesn't get built. However, I am still assuming it is a similarly trashy design that they posted before and assuming they aren't lying by saying they are getting it LEED certified. However, my fervent hope is that they have completely redesigned it with LEED certification in mind and have improved the pedestrian orientation of the design over the previous design.

It is absolutely scary that it is so private, almost like they know they aren't building something pleasing and don't want to get feathers ruffled while there is a chance to block its construction somehow.

I stand by my previous posts that I don't want this built at all if it even remotely resembles the last design released to the public. While LEED is great, I wouldn't put it above a design that engages the streets, provides retail, and offers some architectual variety. The site is more "green" now, sitting fallow, filtering rain water, than any LEED certified building could ever be.....let it stay like that until a design is presented that is both aesthetically pleasing AND LEED certified....I know, wishful thinking.

I stand by my previous posts that I don't want this built at all if it even remotely resembles the last design released to the public. While LEED is great, I wouldn't put it above a design that engages the streets, provides retail, and offers some architectual variety. The site is more "green" now, sitting fallow, filtering rain water, than any LEED certified building could ever be.....let it stay like that until a design is presented that is both aesthetically pleasing AND LEED certified....I know, wishful thinking.

^I emailed them and Crescent. Like you, no response from either. I guess they don't like criticism. Still, it can't hurt for them to see the reaction from the community. I suggest everyone displeased by this project send them an email asking about the design and its status. At least that way they'll know they're not going to sneak by and build a hideous project without some "feedback".

My new position comes from the concept that I am for the green projects that aren't at all urban, like Sanctuary and others. It is a good thing for the city to have buildings with lower environmental impact, and many of those are not the most aesthetic or urban. Imaginon's design was not universally received, but the fact that it is green and located in an urban location has had many benefits for the city. In the end, it is a one-sided, one story building that inefficiently takes up an entire city block (with a windy entrance facing north :) ) but one that has drawn big names to the city and has attracted many into downtown.

While a random apartment complex won't have the benefits a children's library and theater has, its fundamentals are still more important than its aesthetics. It reclaims a brownfield into an active human use, it puts relatively dense housing directly on a transit line, is build within an existing grid of streets and utilities, and will then have the LEED-related improvements in construction process, materials selection, and operating efficiencies.

All that said, I am not taking away my vote that they really need to improve the design, I am only saying that it has mitigating factors now that they are supposedly pursuing LEED certification, which makes me no longer actively opposed to its construction.

I wish you guys the best of luck, though, in giving Duke hell. They really deserve it.

The main problem that I see with the original renderings and site plan is that with a chunk of land this large, there should be some internal street network (like 3030 South). I am hoping like the rest of you that this one becomes something more urban that embraces the street. I'm optimistic about the new plan.... if they ever make one...

Archived