Renaissance Park

RJWGMU

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah... I was just about to post about this when I saw that you had beaten me to it :silly:

Anyway, Bob Dyer mentioned this last week when I went to the council meeting - he made it sound like it was going to be a pretty big deal, not to mention that it is definitely a large piece of land... :thumbsup:

dope! I've always wondered what they planned for that large amount of space. It's been empty for awhile now. Hopefully they'll finish connecting Lynnhaven Parkway so that it'll be one smooth drive from Centerville to the Lynnhaven area annnd hopefully they plan on having some high rises in the mix use development.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys, this is a huge 110.7 acre development. Basically the retail and commercial portion is designed to mimic city center at Oyster Point. I am disappointed in the design of the residential and can only hope that these are preliminary renderings that will be revised. The report is too big to upload to the site so I'm gonna have to do this piece by piece and will probably be adding various elements throughout the day. Check back often.

There will also be some detached single family homes (ala Broad Creek) mixed in a portion of the development but since I have absolutely no interest in that I won't post those renderings. I'm excited that they are trying to mimic the city center feel for the commercial and retail but I will wait for them to produce their own renderings of that section before I pass judgement. We should hear more after next weeks planning commission meeting. I fear though, that with such a large development, traffic in that area will become horrendous. I hope they have some plans on addressing that. Bottom line, could be better, could be worse. I'll have to take a wait and see approach on this one.

Haha. Well we dropped the ball on this one. Here is the article about this project that came out in December of last year. :lol:

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?...&ran=189942

A proposal for more than 1,000 new homes off Princess Anne Road hopes to tap into the city's growing need for work-force housing. L.M. Sandler and Sons Inc. has filed plans to build 1,180 townhouses, duplexes, apartments and single-family houses, along with a hotel and shops, at Princess Anne Road and Independence Boulevard.

The project, called Renaissance Park, would be near Tidewater Community College, the new Sentara medical complex, and the Farmers Market.

"My initial reaction is that it's going to fit into the community," city Planning Director Bob Scott said. "It's addressing affordable housing. It has a significant commercial element, but it's not the main thing... If they can make the hotel work, it would be very good."

The 134-acre site is currently zoned for slightly more than 800 houses. When Sandler representatives approached the city about the project, Scott said, he asked them to consider homes that teachers, firefighters and nurses could afford.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

City council will vote on this matter today. Still not sure if i'm sold on it yet. Half of the project seems very suburban while this other half seems alright. Hopefully they'll come out with some more renderings today.

That renderings so busy it's hard to tell what the heck is going on. I still don't know if I like it. While it looks like they tried to mimic City Center in some sense the development just doesn't look dense enough to me.

The rendering is barely little more than a mush of r]green with a couple of flags poking out. As you say, Vdogg, I don't see the density here that I would like to see for this area. Virginia Beach must have density in order to channel its growth. Also, how is parking being handled? The rendering suggests lots of open lots. Nicely landscaped open lots, but surface parking all the same.

Archived