Tallahassee/Leon Cty Joint Dispatch

gatoremt

How can the county and city say they need to raise OUR property taxes to fund a joint dispatch. THIS MAKE ME VERY MAD :angry: Here is the article from todays democrap.

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...332/1010/NEWS01

What is everyone else view on this. As a home owner I feel my property taxes are WAY to HIGH now. Find another way to fund it. Like cut something just stay out of my back pocket.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How can the county and city say they need to raise OUR property taxes to fund a joint dispatch. THIS MAKE ME VERY MAD :angry: Here is the article from todays democrap.

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...332/1010/NEWS01

What is everyone else view on this. As a home owner I feel my property taxes are WAY to HIGH now. Find another way to fund it. Like cut something just stay out of my back pocket.

I thought maybe I was the only one. It makes me mad everytime I think about it. And a 1 mil raise at that. Goodness they are not building for the whole state. And another thing they dont say how long they would need the raise. Would it take 1 year or 10 years. I think they need to look into grants and any other way of getting money besides raising taxes. Maybe get with surrounding counties to go in with this to build there radio systems up also. Just a thought.

• 2 months later...

I guess it will not take a CAT 5 hurricane. :rofl: Although that is not a bad idea. I still say what is wrong with TPD. Just go there until they can save the money for a a new place. Just do something. Instead of nothing.

I agree, just use the existing centers now, but consolidate their functions until they can allocate the funds for this new bldg. or better yet like TJ suggested, use one of the many vacant bldgs. in town. We've got some big ones.

The idea of raising property taxes near the same time that the legislature is coming back to town to lower them is crazy. I'm sure their are other alternatives to this idea. They've just not thought deep, hard and "out of the box" enough.

As a TPD officer, I know how maxed our current building is, and there is no way a joint dispatch center would fit where the current center is. The current center is too small as it is, and it only dispatches TPD and TFD. The current building was built years ago, and not for a growing city. I have heard some rumors that the new building will also hold communications activities for the state as well in the time of disasters. I do like the idea of using one of the old grocery stores. They are just sitting empty, and are an eyesore.

Let's take that Old Winn Dixie Shopping Center at Tharpe and Old Bainbridge and turn that into the joint dispatch center. The location seems central, and could even serve as a docking station for EMS. I can't imagine that would cost $30,000,000 to renovate. As long as this property has been vacant they should want to give it away.

*their

And I agree. Especially for something like this after hearing that the agencies can work together and not be housed in the same facility. Still there are numerous vacant, yet solid buildings that they could retrofit for this project and spend a fraction of the amount they are considering.

• 4 months later...

I have a little inside info and THANK GOODNESS the SLERS system came in last in the recommendations. The Motorola Digital P25 system came in as the top recommendations. If the FD and EMS had to go with the SLERS system they would still have to have another radio system to do the paging out of the station for the calls, because SLERS is not able to do paging.

• 2 weeks later...

It would mean that the FD, EMS, TPD, and Sheriffs would have a better radio system. The P25 system would cost a little more up front. But it would be owned by Tallahassee and not the State of Florida. That is the BIG thing.

I listen to Bob Ratcliff on the Democrates Direct Access. He does not sound like he is big on a lot of things the Sheriff wants to do. http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../VIDEO/71010008

• 2 months later...

Archived