Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gatoremt

Tallahassee/Leon Cty Joint Dispatch

24 posts in this topic

How can the county and city say they need to raise OUR property taxes to fund a joint dispatch. THIS MAKE ME VERY MAD :angry: Here is the article from todays democrap.

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...332/1010/NEWS01

What is everyone else view on this. As a home owner I feel my property taxes are WAY to HIGH now. Find another way to fund it. Like cut something just stay out of my back pocket.

How can the county and city say they need to raise OUR property taxes to fund a joint dispatch. THIS MAKE ME VERY MAD :angry: Here is the article from todays democrap.

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...332/1010/NEWS01

What is everyone else view on this. As a home owner I feel my property taxes are WAY to HIGH now. Find another way to fund it. Like cut something just stay out of my back pocket.

I thought maybe I was the only one. It makes me mad everytime I think about it. And a 1 mil raise at that. Goodness they are not building for the whole state. And another thing they dont say how long they would need the raise. Would it take 1 year or 10 years. I think they need to look into grants and any other way of getting money besides raising taxes. Maybe get with surrounding counties to go in with this to build there radio systems up also. Just a thought.

Here is another thought. What does the tax added on to our phone bills and cell phones bill go too?

I can not believe no ONE ELSE has chimed in on this. :o

Joint Dispatch Info

Here is the latest info. They still want to build a new building with my TAX dollars. Just move into the TPD building PLEASE. And they want the new building to take a CAT 5 hurricane.

What's wrong with one of these old abandoned grocery stores?

I guess it will not take a CAT 5 hurricane. :rofl: Although that is not a bad idea. I still say what is wrong with TPD. Just go there until they can save the money for a a new place. Just do something. Instead of nothing.

I agree, just use the existing centers now, but consolidate their functions until they can allocate the funds for this new bldg. or better yet like TJ suggested, use one of the many vacant bldgs. in town. We've got some big ones.

The idea of raising property taxes near the same time that the legislature is coming back to town to lower them is crazy. I'm sure their are other alternatives to this idea. They've just not thought deep, hard and "out of the box" enough.

:rofl: Out of the Box :rofl: From the City and the County. We could only hope one day they will. I like your thought thou poonther. There to many other ways to get this done besides raising taxes.

As a TPD officer, I know how maxed our current building is, and there is no way a joint dispatch center would fit where the current center is. The current center is too small as it is, and it only dispatches TPD and TFD. The current building was built years ago, and not for a growing city. I have heard some rumors that the new building will also hold communications activities for the state as well in the time of disasters. I do like the idea of using one of the old grocery stores. They are just sitting empty, and are an eyesore.

Thanks for the insight there Jon. I knew the time I toured in the dispatch it looked a little cramped in there. They need to do something but not 30 million dollars worth of something.

Let's take that Old Winn Dixie Shopping Center at Tharpe and Old Bainbridge and turn that into the joint dispatch center. The location seems central, and could even serve as a docking station for EMS. I can't imagine that would cost $30,000,000 to renovate. As long as this property has been vacant they should want to give it away.

Now the city can offer Piper $80 MILLION but they can not come up with $30 Million for a dispatch center??? Come on now.

Hey TJ, that sounds like a good location for it.

Now the city can offer Piper $80 MILLION but they can not come up with $30 Million for a dispatch center??? Come on now.

Hey TJ, that sounds like a good location for it.

I still just dont understand it here is today's article on wanting to raise OUR taxes. County WANTS to raise TAXES

I just dont understand it. Do they not understand NO ONE wants their taxes raised.

*their

And I agree. Especially for something like this after hearing that the agencies can work together and not be housed in the same facility. Still there are numerous vacant, yet solid buildings that they could retrofit for this project and spend a fraction of the amount they are considering.

Estimated Costs Associated with Joint Dispatch

September 13, 2007

There is an abundance of dialogue in our community regarding the costs of combining the dispatch centers of the Tallahassee Police Department and the Leon County Sheriff

I have a little inside info and THANK GOODNESS the SLERS system came in last in the recommendations. The Motorola Digital P25 system came in as the top recommendations. If the FD and EMS had to go with the SLERS system they would still have to have another radio system to do the paging out of the station for the calls, because SLERS is not able to do paging.

It would mean that the FD, EMS, TPD, and Sheriffs would have a better radio system. The P25 system would cost a little more up front. But it would be owned by Tallahassee and not the State of Florida. That is the BIG thing.

I listen to Bob Ratcliff on the Democrates Direct Access. He does not sound like he is big on a lot of things the Sheriff wants to do. http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../VIDEO/71010008