Do you get upset when others talk down your city?

Guest donaltopablo

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you get upset when others talk down your city?

• Yes, if my city isn't on top, your going to hear about it
    • Yes, whenever someone says anything negative, I get mad
    • Yes, if it's truly an attack
    • No, not if it's done tastefully
    • Not at all
    • What city?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's a legitimate complaint I have no problem with it, but if it's someone who obviously has never set foot inside the Detroit city limits, and just bashes it because it's easy to bash, then I have problems with it. On the other hand, I am more than glad to clear up any misconceptions people might have about the city.

Guest donaltopablo

I'm with most everyone else, definitely don't mind as long as it's tasteful and educated. My city (just like everyone elses) has it's share of problems.

I wonder who responded 'Yes, if my city isn't on top, your going to hear about it'

...when my city is attacked based on stereotypes or by someone that has never set foot in the city, then I have a problem with it.

You mean like those who think everyone in Pittsburgh has a mullet, received gentlemen's C's in high school, drives a 1980's-model Camaro and wears nothing but Steelers jackets and sweatpants? *lol*

I hate those people. They deserve a swift kick in the balls. :angry:

I voted for ''Yes, whenever someone says anything negative, I get mad''

I really do get annoyed when somebody slags of the city I live in. I live in Leeds, England, as you may (or may not) know we are great rivals with Manchester. I cannot explain everything that goes on, but to some it up, they make up facts and figures for their city, and also think that their opinions are facts (or the one's on my forum do anyways)

They cant except that Leeds is rapidly becoming popular and catching them up, so they use pathetic insults to get back at us.

Eg: 'Sheep Shagger' - That really gets me annoyed :angry:

DBR wrote:

You mean like those who think everyone in Pittsburgh has a mullet, received gentlemen's C's in high school, drives a 1980's-model Camaro and wears nothing but Steelers jackets and sweatpants? *lol*

I hate those people. They deserve a swift kick in the balls. 

DBR you make me laugh, I guess most people from Cleveland are gonna be sore later :blink:

Pittsburgh is perfect . . . in its imperfect quest for perfection. :P

After all it was Pittsburgh that Bob Hope and Ross Perot decided to pop the question and get married respectively, not Paris or Rome!

It was Pittsburgh where the French after being raised on the gorgeous Seine and Riveira ventured through the Great Lakes and upon seeing the forks of the Ohio claimed it to be the most beautiful spot in the world!

Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob are just down the road, George Washington fought so hard for Pittsburgh he was even willing to lose the only battle in his life here in a chance to capture the forks.

From Phipps Conservatory to the National Aviary, Pittsburgh does rock . . . ok so my hubris is getting the best of me, but hey I'm a Pittsburgher. :ph34r: Black and Gold Forever!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest donaltopablo

On the Simpson's Charlotte was referred to as Hitler City. LOL

Haha, that was pretty funny.

Atlanta was made fun of in Futurama. My favorite quote:

"Atlanta, I thought that was just an airport hub"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Depends if what they are saying is true.

But what confuses me is when people call Detroit "suburban" like lol.

Yes it's true that due to population loss, some areas have emptied out.

But, the communities left are fairly dense AND walkable.

Yes it's true that Detroit was built to have more single family homes than most other older citys, but those homes are built on narrow lots and built pretty tight next to one another, and are built close to the sidewalks.

But Detroit is so big, that it still has more of it's share of flats, rows & apartments, though a high percentage of single family homes.

And going back to older citys, most suburbs as far as I know...didn't have their last major building boom in the 50's, that's usually when they started to boom.

I invite anyone to come to Detroit and really explore it.

From downtown to the Newcenter to Highland Park to Hamtramck to Palmer Park to Eastern market to Lafayette Park to Rivertown to Indian Village to Corktown to Mexicantown and the southwest side.

I think most people either haven't been to Detroit, or end up around 8 Mile or in the southpart of downtown close to the riverfront and Ren. Cen. area.

Hell, a lot of Detroiters themselves usually stay in their little small areas and never really explore their own city.

Get the fudge off the steps or the block people.

Most people have never been to Detroit, but base their assumptions about the city on the movie 8 Mile. I have never seen it myself, but apparently it paints the city in a bad light. In fact, the city today is still more dense than a lot of the more modern cities, despite the drastic population loss. At its peak, the city's density was 13,669 people per square mile. Today that number is somewhere around 6600 people per square mile.

I lived in Southwest Detroit for years, and that area is still very dense.

There is the occasional vacent lot or two, but the area still has most of its original housing stock.

And it seems that the flats outnumber the single family homes.

And it is spotted with rowhouses and 30-40 unit apartment buildings.

Then you have lively main drags like Vernor and Springwells.

I wish more people would come down to this area to see for themselves.

And just a few years ago, that general part or town was said to have about 10,500 people per sq. mile.

Man, 8 Mile isright next to the burbs and is nowhere being innercity.

Hell, most people don't know that eminem lived most of his childhood in freaking Roseville.

And the short time he did live in Detroit, it was barely across 8 Mile.

Actually it was at the suburban Roseville school where he got his ass kicked.

That boy is a fake capitalizing off of the rap industry.

People need to burn that movie and come and see MY real Detroit.

i get annoyed when people say that LA is just one big suburb. if youve ever been to the REAL parts of LA, you wouldnt ever call it that. SUre the buildings arent as tall as Chicago or Detroit, but many parts of LA are very vibrant and ecclectic. The area that i will be moving out of soon (westwood) is a very pleasant place that is LOADED with pedestrian activity and ground floor retail, and this is 10 miles away from downtown. LA does have many exciting places, theyre just spaced apart from each other and some people detest that lack of continuity and label the area as sprawl. give it time, LA will come together, (for those who still dont see the light)

Archived