York County Projects

queensguy06

I figured we needed a thread to discuss many of the up and coming projects in York County; I have a few updates on some projects.

Downtown Rock Hill has several old textile mills that are now vacant in the old textile corridor and redevelopment is underway. According to The Herald and CBJ, a $200 million, 24 acre site will be redeveloped into residential, entertainment, retail, and office space. This is part of a plan that would like to see the entire area redeveloped into a $350 million development that would bring 500 jobs to downtown Rock Hill.

The old Celanese plant that was demolished was originally to have a 2,000 home development put there, but for some reason (Love Canal comes to mind) they have opted for an industrial park with nearly 4 million sq. ft. of space on 400 of the 1,200 acre site.

Over in Lake Wylie there are plans for yet another Wal-Mart and Lowe's. Go figure.

In Fort Mill, the new Lowe's opens April 3rd. Also, although we haven't heard much on the Museum of Life and the Environment, I was told it is still going full steam ahead with its philanthropic endeavors and has over half the funding needed for construction.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I figured we needed a thread to discuss many of the up and coming projects in York County; I have a few updates on some projects.

Downtown Rock Hill has several old textile mills that are now vacant in the old textile corridor and redevelopment is underway. According to The Herald and CBJ, a $200 million, 24 acre site will be redeveloped into residential, entertainment, retail, and office space. This is part of a plan that would like to see the entire area redeveloped into a $350 million development that would bring 500 jobs to downtown Rock Hill.

The old Celanese plant that was demolished was originally to have a 2,000 home development put there, but for some reason (Love Canal comes to mind) they have opted for an industrial park with nearly 4 million sq. ft. of space on 400 of the 1,200 acre site.

Over in Lake Wylie there are plans for yet another Wal-Mart and Lowe's. Go figure.

In Fort Mill, the new Lowe's opens April 3rd. Also, although we haven't heard much on the Museum of Life and the Environment, I was told it is still going full steam ahead with its philanthropic endeavors and has over half the funding needed for construction.

Big thumbs up to Rock City!! I read somewhere not too long ago that RH is the largest city, by area, in the state of SC.

Someone correct me if that is wrong.

I'm anti-Wal-mart, so I am not happy that there is yet another huge parcel of land being cleared for the evil empire! But I guess not enough of us are standing up to them and saying no!

I am really pleased to hear about the parcel on the northern part of the river continuing with the history center ( or nature center ) I forget what exactly it is now! Yikes - what an idiot!

I do know that it is a positive thing and am looking forward to it being completed!

Archived