Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spartan

The Future of Shem Creek

8 posts in this topic

Shem Creek is a unique area in Charleston. It is one of the better entertainment districts in Charleston, IMO. its also an interesting mix of shiripers, fishers, and restaurants and bars. As many of you know, it is going to be home to a future $50 million condo/hotel project that has become wuite the controversy. The rising land values have started tp push out some of the shrimpers. This is a sign that Shem Creek is ready to take the next step in its evolution... the question I ask you is this: What is that future going to be?

shemcreek.jpg

There are some developments today in the Post & Courier. In addition to the Condo/hotel thing, there are a few other developments, which you can read about in the aforementioned article. There is another one in the Charleston City Paper.

shemcreek07_prop.jpg

The best development I've seen is this boardwalk type of thing that will connect the north side of the creek with the harbor. Truely a great idea. But to my knowledge, Mount Pleasant doesn't have a plans specifically for Shem Creek. The area is a unique treasure for Mt. Pleasant. They should not allow it to become over-developed and push out the very thing that makes it so cool- the shripmers.

Shem Creek is a unique area in Charleston. It is one of the better entertainment districts in Charleston, IMO. its also an interesting mix of shiripers, fishers, and restaurants and bars. As many of you know, it is going to be home to a future $50 million condo/hotel project that has become wuite the controversy. The rising land values have started tp push out some of the shrimpers. This is a sign that Shem Creek is ready to take the next step in its evolution... the question I ask you is this: What is that future going to be?

shemcreek.jpg

There are some developments today in the Post & Courier. In addition to the Condo/hotel thing, there are a few other developments, which you can read about in the aforementioned article. There is another one in the Charleston City Paper.

shemcreek07_prop.jpg

The best development I've seen is this boardwalk type of thing that will connect the north side of the creek with the harbor. Truely a great idea. But to my knowledge, Mount Pleasant doesn't have a plans specifically for Shem Creek. The area is a unique treasure for Mt. Pleasant. They should not allow it to become over-developed and push out the very thing that makes it so cool- the shripmers.

If these condos and whatnot go up then we can kiss the traditional Shem Creek goodbye. It'll be another Patriots Point or South of Calhoun that's too valuable to allow the common man, i.e. shrimpers anything but restricted access.

I wouldnt mind shem creek having more of an urban feel to it, but it needs to be spread back away from the creek. condos in the back, shops, restaurants up front. And the shrimpers have to be accomodated. Mount Pleasant would then get an awesome "downtown" and the current environemtn could still be preserved in some way.

I wouldnt mind shem creek having more of an urban feel to it, but it needs to be spread back away from the creek. condos in the back, shops, restaurants up front. And the shrimpers have to be accomodated. Mount Pleasant would then get an awesome "downtown" and the current environemtn could still be preserved in some way.

I have to agree, I don't want to see upper scale development push out the local shrimpers. Plus, they better never tear down Red's Ice House, there's nothing better than docking creekside there and going to Red's to have a few cold ones w/ Fried Shrimp and Fries during happy hour or Saturday evenings.

I really like the idea of turning it into a little DT, especially since it is so close to the Old Village of MT P.

Both Spartan and Ohioanin are right, proper development of Shem Creek would give Mt. Pleasant its desperately needed downtown. There were some formal plans for a downtown but I haven't heard anything about them recently. I wonder if they have been tabled? :dontknow:

I have to agree, I don't want to see upper scale development push out the local shrimpers. Plus, they better never tear down Red's Ice House, there's nothing better than docking creekside there and going to Red's to have a few cold ones w/ Fried Shrimp and Fries during happy hour or Saturday evenings.

I really like the idea of turning it into a little DT, especially since it is so close to the Old Village of MT P.