"Downcity Market" to open on Westminster Street

abdiorio

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it sounds like this is more of a real grocery type store in a permanent location.

now, in response to the original question... i think that just a regular grocery store would be fantastic for downtown. it doesn't even need to be a specialty store, just a place where people can get their necessities.

Few would be happier than me to see this happen. I so very much want the quintessential urban experience of popping into the shop on the way home to grab stuff for dinner. Now, I have to take a bus to Eagle Square to get stuff for dinner on the way home.

My biggest desire is produce and meat. I'll soon have a fish market more or less right out my front door on Atwells, and I can pick up all manner of prepared food at the various italian shops up here. I have no place for produce though.

Ok listen up!!!!! it is NOT a national chain !!!!!!!!!! it is something that "we"(my business partner and myself) are working on to cater to the needs of the downcity residents. something that downtown DOES NOT HAVE !!!! we were only looking for more ideas on what the store should have. now again, its going have a deli, dairy, produce, canned goods, poultry and beef and health and beauty supplies. why is this so hard to understand?

Ok listen up!!!!! it is NOT a national chain !!!!!!!!!! it is something that "we"(my business partner and myself) are working on to cater to the needs of the downcity residents. something that downtown DOES NOT HAVE !!!! we were only looking for more ideas on what the store should have. now again, its going have a deli, dairy, produce, canned goods, poultry and beef and health and beauty supplies. why is this so hard to understand?

My suggestions would be all your standard staples with a focus on quality meat & produce, and taking things just a hair upscale. I think that giving the place a "general store" neighborhood hub kind of vibe would be a good direction to head in. Like Hudson Street market, only a lot bigger. There needs to be a place where people living downtown can run into their neighbors.

Liam

(also skeptical OF THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I'm glad to see someone is trying to get a full-service grocery store in downtown again.

The last effort was about 8 years on Weybosset Street across from J&W. It was called Groceria, about the same size as what you're proposing and it had this upscale vibe to it. Unfortunately, it was a bit ahead of its time and closed within 9 months.

I wish you all the best and look forward to hearing more about it.

Anyone willing to invest in any type of retail downtown is a serious risk taker. I would refrain from the totally "upscale" market thingy and make it more appealing to the majority of the residents downtown: college students. I would rather see something like this further down Westminster like in the old Kinko's building but you'd be the one paying the rent. Whether this is all speculation, I do wish you luck and hope that financing will not be an issue. Lending institutions are severely tightening their credit standards and a market downtown with no on-site parking will be a tough sell...if that's what you're waiting on.....

i'll second those who have suggested it not be too upscale. however, i would suggest having high quality deli meats (such as boar's head) available along lower priced meats. i would steer clear of becoming a specialty shop and be quite general in what you offer. if people want specialty meats or cheeses, there are plenty of places in the city (many within walking distance or easy bus ride from downtown). you can always change your offerings, but starting out general and with nothing too overpriced (a lot of organic food can price out much of the downtown population - JWU and RISD students).

Archived