"Downcity Market" to open on Westminster Street

abdiorio

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I think it should definitely have a modest prepared foods section (like the Shaw's a la carte crap only much better) and also don't skimp on the frozen meal things like hot pockets, lean cuisines, bertoli dinners, etc. Those can satisfy both the college types and the young busy professionals. Oh and those already cooked roasted chickens!

Okay, I think it should definitely have a modest prepared foods section (like the Shaw's a la carte crap only much better) and also don't skimp on the frozen meal things like hot pockets, lean cuisines, bertoli dinners, etc. Those can satisfy both the college types and the young busy professionals. Oh and those already cooked roasted chickens!

i'll second those who have suggested it not be too upscale. however, i would suggest having high quality deli meats (such as boar's head) available along lower priced meats. i would steer clear of becoming a specialty shop and be quite general in what you offer. if people want specialty meats or cheeses, there are plenty of places in the city (many within walking distance or easy bus ride from downtown). you can always change your offerings, but starting out general and with nothing too overpriced (a lot of organic food can price out much of the downtown population - JWU and RISD students).

having a fair amount of knowledge in the grocery industry - good luck. As you can see here already, there a thousand and one ways to go as to what to offer since everyone has thier own likes and dislikes - all on products that sell at most national chains at razor thin margins. Margins are highest on non-grocery perishibles, but shrink is highest. I have major ties in the meat (both frozen, pre-packaged, and fresh) and deli industry when you are ready to meet with suppliers, IM me here and I can put you in touch with some folks.

Now for some ideas:

Have a modestly broad selection of the basic grocery items (i.e. things that most convenient stores offer), but don't dedicate too much shelf space to them. You have to sell Coke and Pepsi products, but you might make more profit from a more 'local' brand like Polar. Strike deals with local companies that will give you more control of both costs and resale prices. Yatch Club soda in NP might give you a good deal to offer thier products for instance.

Regardless of what you end up offering, pay extremely close attention to every item you carry and look for trends that can help you control inventory and sale prices. You may discover that a particular item sells best on Mondays, therefore you can reduce deliveries of that item the rest of the week. Remember that you're not a national chain, so don;t be tempted to pretend to be. Maybe offer discounts with downcity corporations to grow the customer base and explore agreements with other non-competitive local businesses.

similar to what you are doing here - open the business first and then let your customers give you input on what products to expand on. People will naturally try you since you are new, the trick is to keep them coming back...

anyway - just my 2 cents...

I think people in Rhode Island like local things, like Rhody Fresh Milk would probably be a good seller, people may even go out of their way for local items that aren't readily available everywhere. But of course, people will often default to price over local loyalty.

I'm sorry, I did not mean to be rude. But, even in the title of the post it releases all of the information, including the name of the market and what the market intends to carry. So, we didn't understand the consistent questions asking if it was a national chain and so forth. We were only looking for suggestions as to what we should carry in the market on top of our ideas already. So, if anyone has anyother ideas in terms of necessities, bring it on! :yahoo:

and I've got to say, I loved the Oh snap!

having a fair amount of knowledge in the grocery industry - good luck. As you can see here already, there a thousand and one ways to go as to what to offer since everyone has thier own likes and dislikes - all on products that sell at most national chains at razor thin margins. Margins are highest on non-grocery perishibles, but shrink is highest. I have major ties in the meat (both frozen, pre-packaged, and fresh) and deli industry when you are ready to meet with suppliers, IM me here and I can put you in touch with some folks.

Now for some ideas:

Have a modestly broad selection of the basic grocery items (i.e. things that most convenient stores offer), but don't dedicate too much shelf space to them. You have to sell Coke and Pepsi products, but you might make more profit from a more 'local' brand like Polar. Strike deals with local companies that will give you more control of both costs and resale prices. Yatch Club soda in NP might give you a good deal to offer thier products for instance.

Regardless of what you end up offering, pay extremely close attention to every item you carry and look for trends that can help you control inventory and sale prices. You may discover that a particular item sells best on Mondays, therefore you can reduce deliveries of that item the rest of the week. Remember that you're not a national chain, so don;t be tempted to pretend to be. Maybe offer discounts with downcity corporations to grow the customer base and explore agreements with other non-competitive local businesses.

similar to what you are doing here - open the business first and then let your customers give you input on what products to expand on. People will naturally try you since you are new, the trick is to keep them coming back...

anyway - just my 2 cents...

Thank you everyone for your support. We definitely do not intend to make this an ''upscale boutique-like store". It's going to be a market with high-end flair, but with down-to-earth pricing. I think carrying local favorites is a great idea, especially giving people staying in hotels a chance to see what comes out of RI. We are going to offer delivery service within the downcity area. We do plan on having a few tables and chairs to accommodate the coffee and snack crowd and I think wireless internet is a supurb idea to enhance the atmosphere. Think somewhat high-end looking market with down to earth prices/coffee bar/deli/wireless internet. Great idea!

While late to this thread, I'm sure you've considered getting permission to distribute questionaires to the residents of the major downtown residential areas (Cosmopolitan, Cornish Lofts, J&W and RISD dorms, etc).

I remember being a college student in New Haven when Yale was asking students what they wanted in the redone Broadway retail area. I remember the head of the project saying there was a big difference between what students who lived bordering the strip wanted (more essentials, services, groceries, etc) vs what students farther around the campus and city wanted (more destination shopping, clothes, restaurants, etc).

The Cornish Loft and Lupos Condos residents may give very different answers on what they want in a grocery from us...

- Garris

Are people in favor of the location to be designated on Weybosset Street in the ground floor retail of where Axelrod used to be? Storefront windows would be used for cafe and there would be over 3000 sqft for grocery. Westminster Street did not plan out for interior specifications. Please let me know your opinion on this location, thanks!

I think Axelrod is starting to get away from the core of where the bussiness will be coming from. IE office workers and condo / loft residents.( Westminster Lofts, Westin, Waterplace and financial) My point is I think you will have a harder time attracting people up Weybosset Street.

Um, where is "where Axelrod's used to be"? I still haven't gotten the hang of this RI directional schema. It's like Cockney rhyming slang.

On any section of Weybosset it seems like a good choice for two reasons:

One, it's a faster high traffic road with a lot of visibility for people like me coming from the West End, or those caught in the spiral drain of circling downtown to look for free parking, and my instinct is that visibility=awareness=planned trips & referrals. And when it becomes two way (it will be, correct?) even more so.

Two, assuming your business is hardy and will weather a few winters, when development starts transforming the Jewelry Districy after the 195 work is complete, you'll be very well positioned bewtween the "old" downtown and the JD.

In my head I see a great similarity with Broadway Market in Cambridge, right across from the Ringe and Latin High School. It had a nice balance of preprepared food and upscale groceries like gourmet cheese, but a solid and small selection of pasta, produce, meat, other staples for some home cooking. It was convenient enough to pay a premium for the immediacy and time saving, rather than the long bus ride or bike ride through the snow and ice to the big grocery store. A mile away is a not a big distance even walking but when you're carrying three bags of groceries it's torture.

i agree that this location would be good for the future when the JD is better connected to downcity, but until then, it might be difficult to attract customers unless you're well advertised and have really good signage.

it will also be a help when/if weybosset becomes a 2 way street (which someone tried to make it while i was driving at them going the right way).

Given its proximity to the PPAC, this location is better suited to businesses catering to theater goers. A good restaurant here would be perfect. Unless you're willing to walk a little (which the average theater paton from the suburbs is reluctant to do), there's really no place where you can go for dessert or a night cap after a show.

The closer the grocery store can be to Peerless Lofts, the Westin, and the yet-to-materialize 110, the better.

Archived