"Downcity Market" to open on Westminster Street

abdiorio

Given its proximity to the PPAC, this location is better suited to businesses catering to theater goers. A good restaurant here would be perfect. Unless you're willing to walk a little (which the average theater paton from the suburbs is reluctant to do), there's really no place where you can go for dessert or a night cap after a show.

The closer the grocery store can be to Peerless Lofts, the Westin, and the yet-to-materialize 110, the better.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both would be fine for me personally as I often walk all the way down Westminster on my way home. I think the location near Hotel Providence would be better for most people though, it is a couple blocks closer to the Westminster Lofts, Westin, RISD, J&W, W... People at Cathedral Square and the Regency would surely like the Empire at Westminster location, but I think making them walk a couple blocks to bring it closer to the other developments is a better idea. Even at the Hotel Providence, it will be closer to the Regency than to RISD or the Westin.

When you measure it on Google Earth, the distance between the two locations is nominal - about 200 feet. I agree with Cotuit that they're both viable locations.

However, I think the Empire Street location has a slight edge because you'd get a lot more pedestrian and vehicular traffic (with onstreet parking) which would mean greater visibility for the market. That visibility would be a real help jumpstarting your business as you seek to establish a customer base.

The Hotel Providence site would do fine as well, it's just that you'd have to raise awareness of it initially so people would discover it.

When you measure it on Google Earth, the distance between the two locations is nominal - about 200 feet. I agree with Cotuit that they're both viable locations.

However, I think the Empire Street location has a slight edge because you'd get a lot more pedestrian and vehicular traffic (with onstreet parking) which would mean greater visibility for the market. That visibility would be a real help jumpstarting your business as you seek to establish a customer base.

The Hotel Providence site would do fine as well, it's just that you'd have to raise awareness of it initially so people would discover it.

Empire does give good visibility, but if the location near the hotel is on Westminster, that's pretty sweet too. Mathewson would need some good signage and getting DRC to go a long with good signs is a challenge. I love Mathewson and think it will be a key street in the future, however the key word there is future.

Mathewson to Empire is a considerable extra distance to walk with bags of groceries, especially if you are walking all the way to 15West or the W. True it's not a massive difference, but it could be the difference between not wanting to walk all the way to Empire for a few things, and popping down to the Downcity Market. I know for me, if Shaw's was just on the East side of the Route 10 bridge I'd go there a lot more often, hell if it was where the Dunkin Donuts is at Eagle Square I'd go there more often. As is, I tend to not want to walk all the way down there and rely on the local convenience stores for things.

I image location would be a little less of an issue with the Westin, the issue there would be trying to work out a deal with the Westin for the concierge service to offer delivery to the residents, I'm sure they will be working out some sort of delivery service with Whole Foods or someone for their residents.

The Gold Line was rerouted, it goes down Dorrance and Eddy now instead of Washington to Empire.

If the location at Westminster and Empire is what I'm thinking it is, I vote no. If the location "near Hotel Providence" is the Pavolino space at Westminster and Snow, I vote for that one.

• 3 weeks later...

"Downcity Market" is still in the works and we are working very closely with the PEDP during the final stages. We do plan on being open 24 hours, as this will give us an idea of what are the best hours to be open in order to accommodate the need. As I mentioned before, we will be offering your mainstream variety of grocery, including a deli, small cafe with made to order/prepared sandwiches, produce, etc. We will have just about everything you could expect to find at Stop n Shop and Shaw's, limited to a very well laid out 3000-5000 square foot space. While everything is going to plan, expect an opening date on or around June 1, 2007.

"Downcity Market" is still in the works and we are working very closely with the PEDP during the final stages. We do plan on being open 24 hours, as this will give us an idea of what are the best hours to be open in order to accommodate the need. As I mentioned before, we will be offering your mainstream variety of grocery, including a deli, small cafe with made to order/prepared sandwiches, produce, etc. We will have just about everything you could expect to find at Stop n Shop and Shaw's, limited to a very well laid out 3000-5000 square foot space. While everything is going to plan, expect an opening date on or around June 1, 2007.

We are going to be eager in pleasing every customer. If we don't have a particular item that many think is popular, we will start stocking it. We're all very excited! This is the 1st step in convenience to making Downcity Providence a liveable city!

Archived