Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRDadof3

TGV France sets rail speed record

16 posts in this topic

The TGV trains are amazing. I have only traveled from Paris to Rennes on the TGV, but I've taken other high-speed trains elsewhere. We need a high-speed network here in the U.S..

I took TGV once from Paris to Lyon. It was awesome and crazy fast. When I returned to Paris we drove and it seemed to take forever in comparison.

This record (515km/h) looks like it was broken in 1990. While it can operate at 515km/h, it takes something like 32km to slow to a stop, whereas at the top traveling speed for passengers at 300km/h, it takes only 8km.

It looks like it broke it's own record last month at 553 km/h (343 mph)

It looks like it broke it's own record last month at 553 km/h (343 mph)

That's what the video is of, from back in February of this year at 553 km/h. I'm not sure where snowguy got the 515.

How does that train stay on the track? The train went by so fast I couldn't really see it but the track looks normal. I was expecting a maglev type thing.

I rode the Eurostar from Paris (Gare du Nord) to London (Waterloo Station), and it gets pretty fast, too. I assume the Eurostar line is also a TGV line? Does anyone know the top speed the Eurostar hits on the trip, and what type of train is used?

I rode the Eurostar from Paris (Gare du Nord) to London (Waterloo Station), and it gets pretty fast, too. I assume the Eurostar line is also a TGV line? Does anyone know the top speed the Eurostar hits on the trip, and what type of train is used?

The Acela barely makes it to 100mph and only on very short stretches. Part of the problem with Acela is we tried to retro-fit an existing line to handle high speed trains, TGV runs on straight tracks with very gentle curves and minimal grades specially designed for it. Even at it's relatively slower speeds, the Acela creates quite a vortex when it goes by. The section between Boston and Providence has some of the highest speeds on the line. If you're on an MBTA Commuter Train between Boston and Providence and an Acela goes by the entire commuter train leans into the passing Acela. It's kind of neat and kind of scary. It just rockets by and people who aren't used to it are like, "what the hell was that!?"

Also, the problem in America if the FRA certifies trains based on how they survive impacts...this means the faster trains have to be heavier to survive high-speed impacts. This is almost counter-intuitive as the heavier trains take longer to stop, slower to accelerate and are generally stress the components more. Europeans on the other hand, focus on accident avoidance. The trains may not do well in a high-speed impact, but if there are no accidents then it's not an issue....again we are so behind.

Also, the problem in America if the FRA certifies trains based on how they survive impacts...this means the faster trains have to be heavier to survive high-speed impacts. This is almost counter-intuitive as the heavier trains take longer to stop, slower to accelerate and are generally stress the components more. Europeans on the other hand, focus on accident avoidance. The trains may not do well in a high-speed impact, but if there are no accidents then it's not an issue....again we are so behind.

The biggest problem with passenger rail in the USA is there is no investment in dedicated tracks for the trains. Hence, the trains are fighting freight for space on the line which causes delays and the low tech tracks keep high speeds from being developed.

I guess they have impact requirements because as Metro.M pointed out, there are no dedicated rails for passenger trains. It's so embarassing that a country that leads the world on all kinds of technologies, has such antiquated train technology. This is one of the items where the government needs to suck it up, make the investment, and step into the 21st centurty....hell, step into the second half of the 20th century. Certainly if Croatia, a country that until 1995 had seen tremendous war and ethnic cleansing, can be starting construction on a train line exceeding 150 mph this year, the US can do the same.

There's an article today in CNN about the TGV setting a new record at 574 kph (357 mph), which is faster than a jetliner goes at takeoff.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/04/03...=rss_topstories

Watch the CNN video too. The idiot commentator at CNN says some pretty amazingly dumb things like "Why go so fast? What's the hurry?", and then "Who are they trying to market this to?".