Halliburton Moving Its Headquarters To Dubai

Minneapolitan

Halliburton announced today it is opening a new corporate headquarters in Dubai.

The article states, "In a stunning piece of news, the company said the new headquarters in Dubai will help Halliburton strengthen its presence in the Middle East, Asia and Europe, where it's business is growing. But it casts doubt on the future of the company's current headquarters in Houston.

In a statement today, Halliburton said it will maintain a corporate office in Houston but did not elaborate further on how the company's local operations would be affected by the change."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4620201.html

I have a couple questions/concerns

- What effect will this have on the US business climate.

- Will other industry giants decide to follow Halliburton's move?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would imagine they are moving b/c they have plenty to hide and they may be less vulnerable in Dubai than Houston. Maybe they see their gov't contracts drying up in a couple of years and like a parasite they've moved on to a new host.

If this move has nothing to do with the possibility of pending litigation, investigations, etc, then I would be very surprised. They have blatantly been caught over and over misusing funds, outright stealing through false contracts, and don't have even a decent reputation among many. Their ties to government officials that have lied and duped the public are, well, public, so why not move now? For one I say good riddance and lets amp up the investigation of this corporate thief. (and everyone that has helped in the worlds largest heist)

They bring the term "war profiteer" to new highs and lows. Too bad the lock-step bushie crowd doesn't get it and doesn't see how the money being allocated for our troops (really want to "support" them??) doesn't get too close to the battlefield before being raked by these guys.

They are a company that profits off of bloodshed, chaos, and taxpayer dollars. I wouldn't mind seeing the U.S cut off all relations with this company. The military-industrial complex should always be looked at with extreme caution and skepticism.

So... they'll be outsourcing work... TO the USA?? lol

By the way, they DO have a lot more to gain from Dubai than they do from America it would seem. Too many consipracy theories over something that just makes good financial sense for the company.

I will definitely eat my words if I end up being wrong, though.... it certainly wouldn't be the FIRST time! ;) I just tend to want to steer clear of conspiracy theories until I know more about a situation.

No real conspiracy to me: just another company that wants to save as much money as possible. Here is my main problem: it is a company which benefits from the military. We finance this private company, which in turn, then moves its headquarters outside of the United States so that it doesn't have to pay as much in taxes. It's horrible to me. It's bad enough when other companies do it, but for a company that makes a substantial amount of its income from our involvement in world affairs to leave an American city and set up shop in the Middle East is........well....it just sucks.

So... they'll be outsourcing work... TO the USA?? lol

By the way, they DO have a lot more to gain from Dubai than they do from America it would seem. Too many consipracy theories over something that just makes good financial sense for the company.

I will definitely eat my words if I end up being wrong, though.... it certainly wouldn't be the FIRST time! ;) I just tend to want to steer clear of conspiracy theories until I know more about a situation.

Archived