S.C. gas tax hike could happen.

g-man430

I tried to use the search feature to see if there were any forums on here about this issue already, but it would come up with an error message everytime I tried to search for it, so I gave up and decided just to make a new thread. If there already is a thread for this, please close this one and move this discussion to the old one. Back to on-topic: The state of South Carolina is thinking about raising the gas tax by one-half cent to generate an extra $17 million to help rid South Carolina of more than 3,300 underground storage tanks that officials say are leaking poisonous chemicals. The bill was approved Tuesday by a House subcommittee. More on this can be found here: http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/16872511.htm Thoughts and opinions on this issue?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think SC has one of the lowest gas taxes of any state. It's pretty funny along I-77 at the state line w/ NC, that you can see gas $.15-$.20 higher in NC than in SC. SC could afford to raise it by a good $.10 per gallon to help fund this cleanup faster and repair the roads much quicker. Heck, maybe a big gas tax hike would get some people thinking more about mass transit in the cities, especially the sprawl capital of the state, Charleston.

I think SC has one of the lowest gas taxes of any state. It's pretty funny along I-77 at the state line w/ NC, that you can see gas $.15-$.20 higher in NC than in SC. SC could afford to raise it by a good $.10 per gallon to help fund this cleanup faster and repair the roads much quicker. Heck, maybe a big gas tax hike would get some people thinking more about mass transit in the cities, especially the sprawl capital of the state, Charleston.

Archived