Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

g-man430

S.C. gas tax hike could happen.

9 posts in this topic

I tried to use the search feature to see if there were any forums on here about this issue already, but it would come up with an error message everytime I tried to search for it, so I gave up and decided just to make a new thread. If there already is a thread for this, please close this one and move this discussion to the old one. Back to on-topic: The state of South Carolina is thinking about raising the gas tax by one-half cent to generate an extra $17 million to help rid South Carolina of more than 3,300 underground storage tanks that officials say are leaking poisonous chemicals. The bill was approved Tuesday by a House subcommittee. More on this can be found here: http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/16872511.htm Thoughts and opinions on this issue?

if this passes we can at least say the General Assembly accomplished one thing that is worthwhile this year.

They need to raise it more than that. How about road maintenance, anyway? Even though the DOT was squandering taxpayer money, we still need more funds allocated to our roads (and other transit options, but I don't expect them to be that progressive).

Nice to know that we have over 3,000 leaking gas storage tanks in our state alone. I wonder what correlation that has with our state's high rate of cancer?

Nice to know that we have over 3,000 leaking gas storage tanks in our state alone. I wonder what correlation that has with our state's high rate of cancer?

Sure but to where? Other states seem to be just as bad if not worse. NC has more than double our amount at 6,578. I did notice however that Georgia wasn't on the list, I wonder where they stand?

I wouldn't notice a 1/2 cent increase.

I drive a 20 mpg truck. At 20,000 miles a year, that's 1000 gallons, or $5 per year.

Even a 2 cent increase would only be $20.

I think SC has one of the lowest gas taxes of any state. It's pretty funny along I-77 at the state line w/ NC, that you can see gas $.15-$.20 higher in NC than in SC. SC could afford to raise it by a good $.10 per gallon to help fund this cleanup faster and repair the roads much quicker. Heck, maybe a big gas tax hike would get some people thinking more about mass transit in the cities, especially the sprawl capital of the state, Charleston.

I think SC has one of the lowest gas taxes of any state. It's pretty funny along I-77 at the state line w/ NC, that you can see gas $.15-$.20 higher in NC than in SC. SC could afford to raise it by a good $.10 per gallon to help fund this cleanup faster and repair the roads much quicker. Heck, maybe a big gas tax hike would get some people thinking more about mass transit in the cities, especially the sprawl capital of the state, Charleston.