Winston-Salem news anchor charged in fatal crash

cityboi

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, my condolences go to the family of Casey Ryan Bokhoven, the pedestrian killed in this sensless accident. While I haven't lost anyone due to a DWI accident, I have lost a relative due to a car accident and the pain, grief, and shock is unbelievable when someone is taken from us like this.

Tolly, what were you thinking?? From what I've read it doesn't sound good, you have made a life altering choice that has affected the lives of many people. I know this will more than likely end up in court with additional charges that have yet to be filed. If you're proven guilty, you will have a long time to "regret" the choices you made Sunday morning.

This just shows the tragedy of drinking and driving. It only takes one time to make the wrong decision to ruin many peoples lives... :cry:

First off, my condolences go to the family of Casey Ryan Bokhoven, the pedestrian killed in this sensless accident. While I haven't lost anyone due to a DWI accident, I have lost a relative due to a car accident and the pain, grief, and shock is unbelievable when someone is taken from us like this.

Tolly, what were you thinking?? From what I've read it doesn't sound good, you have made a life altering choice that has affected the lives of many people. I know this will more than likely end up in court with additional charges that have yet to be filed. If you're proven guilty, you will have a long time to "regret" the choices you made Sunday morning.

This just shows the tragedy of drinking and driving. It only takes one time to make the wrong decision to ruin many peoples lives... :cry:

This is a very tragic story. My condolences go out to the family that lost their love one on Sunday. Drinking and driving is never a good idea under any circumstances. I met Tolly once in 2003 after winning a football game and going to the station for the High School Football segment of the news.

The victim certainly died. As far as the Tolly carr suicide... I was indicating that I was not 100% certain on the veracity of Tolly committing suicide. In fact I am not far less that 100% satisfied that this rumor was true and now believe that it is probably an urban myth type rumor...

This is a small town... I actually had a third individual tell me the same rumor.. but no matter where I look I can't find anything to back it up at all. Therefore, I am chalking this one up to urban myth or outright fabrication until I see something different.

Is the fact he is dead 100% confirmed at this point, or are you just referring to the fact he committed suicide?

^ Sorry, realize my wording makes no sense, was wondering if he is infact dead, but of unknown purposes, or if suicide was close to 100% confirmed. Have not heard so much a hint of this from news sources, so could mean they are confirming facts, but then again they probably would have been racing against each other to at least mention something thus far.

Tolly's suicide is probably(hopefully) rumor at this point. Even though Tolly is in a potential world of trouble, suicide is never the correct answer. WXII's website has an story on their website that was last updated @ 3:42 pm with no mention of anything like this. WFMY and WGHP's sites also say nothing relating to this.

Tolly's suicide is probably(hopefully) rumor at this point. Even though Tolly is in a potential world of trouble, suicide is never the correct answer. WXII's website has an story on their website that was last updated @ 3:42 pm with no mention of anything like this. WFMY and WGHP's sites also say nothing relating to this.

• 2 weeks later...

TOLLY CARR SPEAKS!!!

Tolly addressed congregation at the Greater Cleveland Avenue Church about the fatal accident he was involved in that took the life of 26 yr old Casey Bokhoven. He doesn't apologize, but does break down into tears.

WGHP News Story on Tolly Carr's Speech.

links on the WGHP site to entire speech.

• 2 weeks later...

Tolly Carr has entered rehab plus his court case has been postponed. He is at a 28 day rehab program where he isn't allowed to have contact with the outside world.

WXII article about Tolly Carr entering rehab

IMO - I hope this is a geniune effort to improve his life and not just something he's doing for positive spin for his defense.

Well, we know he'll have the DWI charge. Other charges could range from vehicular manslaughter to murder. The D.A. actually prosecuted a DUI convict on murder charges due to killing two people in a traffic accident in the late 90's.

Link to website DUI Blog, where below quote is from

"Well, on April 8, 1997, a jury in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, came back with a first degree murder conviction in a DUI case involving a traffic accident with two deaths. They recommended a sentence of life without the possibility of parole.

The prosecutor had asked for the death penalty."

A vehicle has precedent of being a "deadly weapon" in the eyes of NC law. That's what has allowed murder charges to come up against DUI/DWI cases in the state. The above verdict was overturned by the State Supreme Court and on retrial the defendant pleaded guilty to second degree murder and is serving a sentence of 15-18 years.

That case was the first time in NC that an impaired driver faced a first degree murder charge and the first for the nation that a DUI defendant faced a possible death sentence. The driver was not drunk (blood alcohol level of .046) but he had mixed his alcohol with prescription drugs.

Link to "Old Gold and Black" website (WFU) about outcome of mentioned case

I guess we'll know more in may. The D.A.'s office is being very tight lipped on this case.

• 3 weeks later...

Carr has been charged with "Felony death by motor vehicle" and "Felony serious injury by motor vehicle. The first charge can carry up to 4 yrs in prison and the second up to 2. Carr has surrendered himself and will NOT post bond pending his trial. He should be in court to face the charges as early as next month.

WSJ Article updating the Tolly Carr case with the new Felony Charges

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A civil suit for wrongful death has been filed by the Bokhoven family against Tolly Carr and Three downtown area (Burke St.) bars. The amount is in excess of $10,000 but has not been released. The three bars named are Burke Street Pub, Sounds on Burke St., and 6th and Vine. No one named in this suit has made any comments to the filing of this suit.

WSJ Article about Civil Suit in Bokhovon Death

Tough...let's not forgot he killed someone with his reckless behavior. He should have to pay, I have very little sympathy for Tolly. I was very insulted by his actions after the fact and I hope he gets what he deserves. A lifetime of knowing he killed an innocent man because he was too ignorant and/or cheap to call a freaking cab.

• 1 month later...

If you haven't already heard, Tolly plans to plead guilty to all charges. He also want's to speak to area school children so they don't follow in his footsteps. Guilford Co. schools has already accepted his offer. I'm glad Tolly 'wants' to do good, but I feel in a way everything he's doing is spin and damage control.

WXII12 story on Carr

• 4 weeks later...

Archived