IMAX Theater

Well, more bad news... The developers found quite a few potholes on the land that is to be developed. They have stated that they are trying to buy more land next the current plat to make sure there is enough land for the development. It seems like we wont have the IMAX until 2010.

• 2 months later...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dickinson repurchases Springfield 8 Cinema

Plans $3 million renovation, addition of IMAX screen

This is very exciting news for Springfield. Although I wish they would have built a new complex somewhere else off 65, I guess this will do. After hearing news that Dickinson Theater's was trying to find land for a new IMAX and theater complex, Goodrich Theater's contacted Dickinson about buying the theater from them. After opening 3 IMAX theaters, Goodrich said that they were being stretched too thin and wanted to sell Springfield 8 even though it was their 3rd best grossing theater.

Dickinson, which operates 36 theaters and 337 screens in 10 states, built Springfield 8 in 1990 and sold it to Goodrich in 1999. Dickinson now plans a $3 million renovation, namely adding a 7,000-square-foot IMAX auditorium with seating for 475.

Other plans include converting the two largest auditoriums to stadium seating and remodeling the lobby and restroom areas.

• 1 month later...

I recently talked to my friend who is a Manager at Springfield 8 and he said they have already broken gound for the IMAX and it will be done by next April. They will also be renovating the two largest Theater in the complex as well as the Ticket, Bathrooms, and food area's.

• 11 months later...

Well, it looks like the IMAX wont be open until fall. Constuction was delayed in the Spring due to the economy and is starting to pick up again. I talked to a manager at the theater and was told it will open before thanksgiving.

Archived