IMAX Theater

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...

The plans are not a done deal because there are some contingencies, but I found out where the IMAX theater might be going. The IMAX might be built on the north side of Nixa bordering where a proposed extension/realignment of Highway CC would intersect Highway 160. The IMAX would sit on 10 acres with another 17 devoted to future commercial development. One thing standing in the way is the fact that the CC extension needs to be built. Christian County Headliner News originally featured the article, but here is the latest (but pretty much the same) publication of it in the Nixa Xpress.

ARTICLE

I'm having difficult thoughts about this one, it's too closer to Campbell 16, difficult roads access from 160 into CC then ave, dangerous traffic CC & 160, insufficient land leases, no tax properties for Nixa (TIF), and Williard & North Springfield Folks would have to drive more than 10 miles or about 20 minutes (heavy traffic x2: 40 minutes) to there.

Good thoughts: great access for Ozark, Republic, Springfield, Battlefield... (easy accessing from HWY 60), potentially area for increasing economy in Nixa or Christian County, third IMAX in Missouri, improving relationship between Springfield and suburbs, feeling as like big city(example: St. Louis to St. Charles, but yet St. Louis), big news for Nixa folks! LOL

I'll take that risk if they considering it seriously, but they gotta to have understand we are having lack of improving traffic better.... BUILD FREEWAY HIGHWAY 160!! I don't care ever if it cost hundred million dollars! :P

Well, I am thuroughly disgusted... I can't believe how much they didn't think about the location. I think I am going to write and e-mail to the person listed on the sign in the picture of that article. I just can't believe that they didn't even look at Chestnut and US 65. The plat of land for sale is just north of Highland Spring's Golf Club and across from the soon to be demolished Hickory Hills School, set for commercial development. Not only would it draw from the 65 traffic to and from Branson and the booming east side, it would pull in the 42,000 college students and be close enough to the North Springfield residents to drive to as well. Instead we have to once again see another development go to south Springfield.

Well, I am thuroughly disgusted... I can't believe how much they didn't think about the location. I think I am going to write and e-mail to the person listed on the sign in the picture of that article. I just can't believe that they didn't even look at Chestnut and US 65. The plat of land for sale is just north of Highland Spring's Golf Club and across from the soon to be demolished Hickory Hills School, set for commercial development. Not only would it draw from the 65 traffic to and from Branson and the booming east side, it would pull in the 42,000 college students and be close enough to the North Springfield residents to drive to as well. Instead we have to once again see another development go to south Springfield.

Y'all, let wait and see if IMAX are going to be successful... Honestly, I am sure they will be successful.

I have the feeling that there will be improvement on 160 & CC intersection, but not for now... in the future. If Nixa Officials approves on TIF for Theatres area, the taxes will go to this improvement project.

Frankly, I am really glad that we are going to have IMAX here anyway. :P

With traffic already horrible on Campbell, this will just make it waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy worse, and I think we all can agree on that. I have no doubt that it will be successful (for the south side residents) but it will be a hassle, access wise, for the people of Springfeld to get there. Even if they put this CC extension in place, CC is still only one 2 lanes from Nixa to 65. From the sounds of it, OTO has to do the Extension or this wont happen.

Ditto!

I know from the way I wrote my last post I was implying that they didn't even look at Chestnut and 65, but I was just disgusted with the location in which they chose. With traffic already horrible on Campbell, this will just make it waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy worse, and I think we all can agree on that. I have no doubt that it will be successful (for the south side residents) but it will be a hassle, access wise, for the people of Springfeld to get there. Even if they put this CC extension in place, CC is still only one 2 lanes from Nixa to 65. From the sounds of it, OTO has to do the Extension or this wont happen. Working with commercial real-estate I will say that they could do better, especially with a development like this that will draw thousands of people a year. Not to say that they weren't thinking ahead, but they weren't thinking enough.

The SW corner at Chestnut and 65 is up for sale due to a plan being dropped for an open air Lifestyle Center. The NW corner however is planned for commercial development mainly big box retailers. Now I'm not saying that they probably didn't look at the land but with how reliable the multilist is, I could easily see it being overlooked.

Yeah, those numbers seem absurdly high. That quote was from a man that owns a realty company that has a lot of land around Nixa, and he also chairs the economic development committee for the Nixa Area Chamber of Commerce. To get those kinds of numbers, it seems like the 157.57% growth rate from 1990 to 2000 would need to be applied to the current projection but instead take place over a period on only 7 years.

4707 (1990 census) x (1+1.5757) = 12124 (2000 census)

17000 (2006 estimate) x (1+1.5757) = 43787 at 2016 (three years after 2013)

Also note the growth rate from 2000 to the 2006 estimate is only 40% over those 6 years. The growth rate has slowed since the insane 90s growth.

So, I don't know how they get those numbers, but it seems like Nixa's growth would need to speed up after a recent slow down and the new surge would have to be greater than the original growth of the 90s to reach those numbers. Unless there are a number of projects in the works that I don't know about, I don't see how 40,000 or 50,000 people could be reached.

• 2 months later...
The exterior looks very similar to the Palazzo 16 that Dickinson opened in Overland Park, Kansas in 2005. I have been there several times and while the building is very beautiful (Spanish influence, like KC's The Plaza), the management of the place is so-so. Dickinson promises a lot but doesn't always deliver. Their one-time "flagship" theater in Overland Park, the SouthGlen 12, barely lasted 5 years in the early 90's. And look how they bailed out of the Springfield market!

Archived