Brooklyn - How Sweet it is!

lammius

I took a nice long walk around Brooklyn yesterday afternoon. It was a gorgeous day, and I was inspired by the beauty in all of the neighborhoods I visited. I didn't take very many photos, but I'll share what I did capture.

Places photographed include Prospect Heights, the Brooklyn Museum, Carroll Gardens, the Gowanus Canal, Park Slope, Grand Army Plaza, and Brooklyn Borough Hall.

Prospect Heights

Prospect Heights is a nice little neighborhood located northeast of Prospect Park in Central Brooklyn. The neighborhood consists of majestic rowhouses in its southern portion, bustling commercial activity on Flatbush and Washington Avenues, and re-emerging residential blocks in its northern portion. The neighborhood is home to the Brooklyn Museum on Eastern Parkway.

Rowhouses on Park Place between Underhill Ave and Washington Ave, north side

237252612.jpg

Rowhouses on Park Place between Underhill Ave and Washington Ave, south side

237252670.jpg

Brooklyn Museum on Eastern Parkway

237252567.jpg

Deterriorated but beautiful brownstone on Bergen Street

237252714.jpg

Carroll Gardens

Carroll Gardens is located south of Boerum Hill, east of Cobble Hill, and west of Park Slope. It is a very gentrified area, though I saw some "starving" artists at work on a less majestic block. The primary commercial area is Smith Street.

Smith Street near the Carroll Street subway station (F and G trains)

237252887.jpg

President Street, west of Smith Street

237252850.jpg

Gowanus Canal

Between Carroll Gardens and Park Slope neighborhoods there is an industrial area. The old industrires were served by the Gowanus Canal and its many branches and tributaries. The canal connected the industrial parcels in the area with the Upper New York Bay south of Red Hook.

The view north from the 3rd Street Bridge

237252390.jpg

237252462.jpg

The view south from the 3rd Street Bridge

237252360.jpg

Park Slope

Park Slope is a large neighborhood filled with yups and hipsters, located west of Prospect Park and east of the Gowanus Canal area. Trendy restaurants, bistros, and coffeehouses line the neighborhoods two major commercial streets, 5th and 7th Avenues.

Rowhouses on Union Street in Park Slope

237252819.jpg

Grand Army Plaza

On the northwest corner of Prospect Park is Grand Army Plaza. The plaza acts as a traffic circle at the intersection of Flatbush Avenue with Eastern Parkway and several smaller streets. A grand monument is located in the center of the Plaza.

237252793.jpg

New development at Grand Army Plaza

237287934.jpg

Borough Hall

Brooklyn Borough Hall, located on Joralemon Street in Downtown Brooklyn, is decked out for the St. Pat's holiday.

237141515.jpg

I love BK so there will likely be more pics taken in the future. If anyone else has Brooklyn pics, please share!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice photographs and writeup! From our quick drive-by in Brooklyn, we were throughly impressed. Previously, our only impressions were Manhattan and the Bronx, and various suburbs of the city (Bayonne and Pelham are two examples).

Thanks for all of the compliments, guys! Brooklyn is one of my favorite places in the NYC region. It's got pretty much all of the urban conveniences of Manhattan, but not nearly as much of the flashy lights and tourist traps. It has some areas that are considered "shady" and the boundaries of those areas are not always as firm as in Manhattan.

Krazeeboi, indeed BK is the most populous borough in the City. Its population is about 2.5 million in 96 square miles. That gives it a population density of about 35,000 people per square mile. The borough has beautiful residential neighborhoods, artists communities, retail and restaurant rows, middle and working class neighborhoods, and an amazing, HUGE park called Prospect Park and adjacent Brooklyn Botanic Garden. Prospect is smaller than Central Park, but it's quite large nonetheless.

I'm starting to consider a move to Brooklyn in the Summer. It's an easy commute to Lower Manhattan and apartments are much more affordable than many of the chic Manhattan neighborhoods. For example, an average 400 SF studio in Chelsea or the Villages costs about $1900 a month. In Brooklyn you can get a 700 SF 1-BR for that price and even less in many areas.

Archived