Should the Copley T Stop be renamed?

atlrvr

Should the Copley T Stop be renamed?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Copley/BPL?

• Just leave it...Copley is fine.
    • Oooh, Copley/BPL, that sounds sexy.
    • What the hell is the BPL again?

While the Copley T station is under renovation, there is a movement by the Mayor, city council and state representative Marty Weiss (sp?) regarding a possible name change. The proposal is to rename Copley to Copley/BPL which would stand for Boston Public Library which is adjacent to the station. The idea is to help tourists find one of the city's landmarks. The MBTA is rejecting the idea saying they don't want to pay for signage changes, and arguing that signs couldn't be updated on an ongoing basis, but all maps would have to be changed at once.

I have a couple of opinions.

I HATE the abbreviations. BPL would not help anybody. No one calls it the BPL, and a tourist certainly wouldn't know the abbreviation if they saw it on a map. I lived here for months before I knew what MGH and ICA stood for. I have no problem is they won't to call is Copley/Boston Public Library, but I have a feeling that is too long.

Second, the MBTA is just being lazy. Their claim that they couldn't incrementally change signs and maps is completely bogus since every map on board the Orange Line still refer to Back Bay Station and Back Bay/South End and show the E Branch as having active service all the way to Forest Hills/Arborway. Even in Copley itself, the system map doesn't show the Braintree branch of the red line which opened in 1980.

The question is, should the Copley station be renamed Copley/BPL, or is it a waste of money to change any signs?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Mayor should get back to mayoring and stop it with all these legacy projects.

I HATE the abbreviations. BPL would not help anybody. No one calls it the BPL, and a tourist certainly wouldn't know the abbreviation if they saw it on a map. I lived here for months before I knew what MGH and ICA stood for. I have no problem is they won't to call is Copley/Boston Public Library, but I have a feeling that is too long.

I would think that Copley is a better name for it then anything related to the library. Do tourists really frequent libraries anyway? They most certainly frequent malls and such, so it would seem they should just stick with the Copley name.

Leave it as just Copley. There's no real reason to change anything that's broken. People that live in Boston metro know the Library is near Copley. People that don't live in Boston metro wouldn't be visiting the library anyway.

And I still don't even know what the ICA is, much less call the Hynes stop as Hynes ICA.

While I agree that it should be kept Copley, the BPL actually is somewhat of a tourist spot. It's more than just a 'library', it's really quite exquisite. Many published lists of "Things to See in Boston" include it as a destination because of its architecture and its history as the first public library in the country.

As far as the Hynes/ICA stop, the signs still say Hynes/ICA, but they've changed the automated audio in the tramsets. They did it on cheap. You can tell that they just clipped "Hynes, ICA", so now it just sounds like "Hynes, i".

Archived