Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mendelman

Galena, IL - A Well Preserved Town

7 posts in this topic

A short history of Galena:

Established in the early 1800's on Le Fevre river, Galena soon caught lead mining fever. It quickly became a boom town and land records date back to the 1830's. During the War Between the States, Galena dwarfed the then small town of Chicago. Galenians also supplied the Union with Officers and men, equipment and plenty of lead. Today, Galena is a small town rich in History and Antiques, offering the finest in accommodations, shopping, recreation and restaurants. (Note: history not written by me)

The city in a the northeastern portion of Illinois and the local topography is very different from the flatness of Chicagoland. The city is about 15 miles from the Mississippi River, the border with Wisconsin, and the border with Iowa.

We spent a weekend here in May 2005 as a mini-vacation and to see what the hype was all about. It certainly is nice in a very intact well preserved/restored way, but it is mostly just a wealthy person's tourist trap with the comensurate boutiques and high ratio of restaurants per capita.

I definitely loved the location on a series of steep hillsides and wonderful brick and stone 1850s-ish buildings and scale.

An aerial of Galena, IL:

galena.jpg

028_25A_0001.JPG

028_25A.JPG

027_24A_0001.JPG

027_24A.JPG

026_23.JPG

025_22A.JPG

024_21A.JPG

023_20A.JPG

022_19A.JPG

020_17A.JPG

019_16A.JPG

018_15A.JPG

017_14A.JPG

015_12A.JPG

013_10A.JPG

012_9A.JPG

011_8A.JPG

010_7A.JPG

008_5A.JPG

006_3A.JPG

005_2A.JPG

004_1A.JPG

003_0A.JPG

002_00A.JPG

Nice little town. For some reason it seems slightly European...perhaps that's why it appeals to the rich.

Looks alot like a miniture San Francisco with the Victorian buildings and hills. The hills and trees definitely don't fit the Illinois stereotype.

Very interesting town! Some great architecture in both the downtown and the homes.

Very nice pictures! I used to drive through here on my way to Dubuque IA. Very quaint town.

Was this place ever used as a stage for movies or a tv show? It looks very familiar.

Was this place ever used as a stage for movies or a tv show? It looks very familiar.