Gville Smoking Ban

I am very disappointed that the ban was overturned. I am optimistic (hopeful is probably a better word) that the city will be successful in its appeal.

The bad thing is that a state law was created that hinders local government from passing laws that are best for their citizens.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The city manager has sent out an email asking for businesses to voluntarily comply with the smoking ban while the city appeals. IMO, this should have been promoted from the beginning as voluntary by the city to the business leaders in order to start a movement towards smoke-free establishments. It would have been much more effective in the long run. Here is the email:

********************************************************************************

Voluntary Smoke-Free Compliance Request

The City of Greenville wants to take this opportunity to thank all of you in your efforts to comply and support the recent smoke-free ordinance enacted by City Council. We hope you embrace the City's intent to promote a clean and healthy atmosphere for all our citizens and visitors, and we know that many of you have experienced first-hand the benefits of operating in a "Breathe Easy" environment.

The City plans to immediately appeal the recent court decision. Though the ordinance was overturned this week by the Circuit Court, the City is confident of ultimate success regarding the ordinance's ability to pass legal and constitutional muster before a higher court.

Until then, the City would like to urge you to continue with a voluntary ban on smoking so that all can enjoy the many positive benefits of a smoke-free environment. We plan to continue with the "Breathe Easy" campaign, and we are asking business owners to let us know by calling 467-4401 if you plan to follow through with the voluntary ban. Your participation in this is vitally important for the health and well-being of our residents and visitors, and the City will publicize those establishments choosing to remain smoke-free.

Again, we thank you for your recent compliance and participation in our "Breathe Easy" smoke-free efforts. Greenville continues to remain on the forefront across the state in creating a vibrant environment and atmosphere in which businesses and residents thrive, and the City pledges to continue to work with all of you in partnership to ensure further successes.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact my office.

Sincerely,

James M. Bourey

City Manager

Whatever g-man. You'll be back.

I went out this weekend in Greenville, and it was great. There was only 2-3 smokers in the whole bar. I still smelled of cigarettes after I left, but I didnt reek of it and my eyes didnt hurt. it was most enjoyable. Since its the weekend after the ban was lifted, I'm not sure if people didn't know or they just didn't smoke. But I thoroughly enjoyed it either way.

If you're tired of smelling smoke when you're in a bar, then that's the problem. You're in A BAR. Last time I checked, bars were not known as being bastions of health and wellness, and smoking and drinking do go together. Up until a few months ago, you could smoke anywhere, now everyone wants to act like all the bars downtown have been non-smoking all along, and there was just a law passed that allows smoking there.

In conclusion: If you can't take the smoke, don't come to the bar.

If you're tired of smelling smoke when you're in a bar, then that's the problem. You're in A BAR. Last time I checked, bars were not known as being bastions of health and wellness, and smoking and drinking do go together. Up until a few months ago, you could smoke anywhere, now everyone wants to act like all the bars downtown have been non-smoking all along, and there was just a law passed that allows smoking there.

Based on my comments here, I think a strong incentive for non-smoking restaurants should be put in place. Something like tax breaks or free advertizing, discounted business licence renewal, or discounted sunday liquor licences. Basicly set it up to where most places will convert to no-smoking, and the 72% of us who don't smoke can have plenty of places to enjoy.

They need to stop lolly gaging on this issue and make it a state wide ban... end of story... Just wait till the issue of driving while talking on your cell phone comes up. NY bans both things.

I also noticed that the Brazilian steakhouse is going to be smoke free.

i went to Brixx the other night and they seem to be trying to cater to both crowds and allowing smoking only after 10pm....

I personally don't likethe smell of smoke while i am trying to eat but i do expect it when i go to a bar, after all i'm not at a bar for my health. However i have enjoyed being able to go out and not smell like smoke when i get home. I'm for the smoking ban but i could live with just no smoking in restaurants but then again i ould also support a "no screaming children" section in restaurants....

The arguments supporting smoking in bars are ridiculous. Everyone who drinks at a bar doesn't also smoke (plenty, in fact). And there are numerous people at bars who aren't trying to get drunk or "looking for trouble." So while there are certainly people who go to bars to smoke and drink, and perhaps not be overly concerned about their health, there are definitely those who want to get a drink or two, have fun with friends, and stay safe. There is no reason why a smoking ban shouldn't also include bars!

The arguments supporting the further restrictions of property owners rights are equally ridiculous. Why should you be able to restrict the rights of a property owner based on your preference as a non smoker? They own the place, you are just choosing to visit.

As the list of smoke free establishments shows, there are plenty of places in Greenville where you can have a good time at a bar or restaurant and it be completely smoke free. Vote with your wallets and more places will make the move to go smoke free.

The arguments supporting the further restrictions of property owners rights are equally ridiculous. Why should you be able to restrict the rights of a property owner based on your preference as a non smoker? They own the place, you are just choosing to visit.

As the list of smoke free establishments shows, there are plenty of places in Greenville where you can have a good time at a bar or restaurant and it be completely smoke free. Vote with your wallets and more places will make the move to go smoke free.

Yeah, but how far should those private property rights be allowed to extend? If I own a business, should it be okay for me to have poor sanitation with rats and roaches crawling all around and getting into the food? I mean, how dare the government restrict MY right to do whatever I please. It's my business, right? Can't someone else go to another restaurant if they want to eat food from a cleaner environment? Can't they simply choose not to come to my restaurant?

I usually side with the rights of the private property owner, but just as sanitation is a public health issue that needs regulation (i.e., minimum standards), I feel that smoking should be viewed the same way. We know that smoking is a risk factor for many types of cancer, not to mention bronchitis and other respiratory issues. Unfortunately, smoking doesn't just harm the person doing the smoking.

If non-smokers are supposed to just "go somewhere else" if they do not want to smoke, then why can't I counter that by saying that smokers should "go somewhere else" if they want to smoke? After all, it would still be legal to smoke just about everywhere on earth (outside, in your car, in your home, etc.).

Basic economics. Allowing rodents in your restaurant does not attract your targeted demographic. You will not decrease your business by keeping a clean kitchen. The whole purpose of owning a business is to make money. If you don't cater to your clients, then you fail.

Smoking causes diseases. It causes death. Fine, outlaw smoking. Or make the ban a state issue. Or modify the ban to allow businesses to purchase a 'Smoking License'. Give incentives to places to remain smoke free. Don't allow smoking in an establishment that allows children under 18. Allow smoking after 11 PM. As a consumer, talk to bar owners and tell them to remain non-smoking if they want to keep your business. Take some personal initiative instead of relying on the local government. There are any number of options that could be taken to end up with the same result. Don't bind the hands a law abiding business owner. Don't penalize the risk takers that have made downtown Greenville a great place to go.

I don't know how many people on this board own a business, but those that do can tell you how incredibly hard it can be to make ends meet sometimes. When the rules change in the middle of the game, it can be devestating.

If non-smokers are supposed to just "go somewhere else" if they do not want to smoke, then why can't I counter that by saying that smokers should "go somewhere else" if they want to smoke? After all, it would still be legal to smoke just about everywhere on earth (outside, in your car, in your home, etc.).

Archived