About Face

Justiceham

It looks as if Clarksville is taking a step in the right direction. Underground utilities are already in place in parts of Columbia, Franklin, and Murfreesboro. But it is amazing how a few wires can clam up a streetscape. I just wonder how on Earth the mayor will find the money to get it done, underground utilities are expensive. Are there other cities in Tennessee that are pushing for underground utilities or do you guys even think they are necessary?

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/apps/pbcs....EWS01/703100332

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a resident of Clarksville, this is huge.

There are a couple of streets that would drastically change face with underground utilities.

1. Wilma Rudolph Blvd - the stores go on for miles but you can't see the signs for the poles

2. Madison Street (Sango) - ditto to above

3. Ted Crozier/Dunlop - our next big business district with the new hospital, industrial park and winery

4. Riverside Drive - need to have a cleaner look to our river area

We aready have underground utilities throughout most of historic downtown and APSU.

There has been talk to take wires underground along Ocoee St (US 11) starting just north of downtown Cleveland around 8th St and going up to 20th St. For those of you not familar with Cleveland, this is an area bordered to the east by Lee University and to the west by an area that just recently became a Historic Neighborhood. The area is lined with the old classic homes that can be found around many southern downtowns.

Below is an area map showing the possible effected area. The total distance along Ocoee St between 8th St and 20th St is about 0.6 mile.

ocoee.jpg

Of course the hold back here is cost as well. Some are saying the cost for this one street could run up to $2 million dollars.

I'm sure the initial cost of underground utilities is far higher than iverhead utilities. But surely the cost of maintaining underground utilities is far less, far less of a safety risk, and power interuption far more infrequent. You add these advantages to the obvious aesthetics and I would gladly pay more for underground utilities. I'm fortunate enough to have underground utilities in my neighborhood. It's great!

I'm sure the initial cost of underground utilities is far higher than iverhead utilities. But surely the cost of maintaining underground utilities is far less, far less of a safety risk, and power interuption far more infrequent. You add these advantages to the obvious aesthetics and I would gladly pay more for underground utilities. I'm fortunate enough to have underground utilities in my neighborhood. It's great!

Archived