Concerts - Where Are They?

JRNYP2C

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the time that the Charlotte Coliseum was built, Independence Arena was the biggest venue in town. It only seated 10,500, so yes, some of the bigger acts passed us by. Bobcats arena isn't THAT much smaller than the old Coliseum (23,000 to 19,000 I think) and wouldn't cause any acts to pass it by.

The Charlotte Coliseum was one of the biggest arenas in the NBA, the one we have now is more in line with the average city arena. If acts are passing Charlotte by, it's not due to the size of the venue.

It is smaller than that because the premium seating and skyboxes can't be used for concerts. I think concert seating for the Bobcats Arena is something close to 16-17K.

http://www.charlottebobcatsarena.com/default.asp?id=35

Sporting Events

• NBA Basketball: 19,026

• College Basketball: 20,200 (maximum)

• Hockey: 14,100

Concerts

• End stage 180 degrees: 13,736
  • End stage 270 degrees: 15,236
  • End stage 360 degrees: 18,249
  • Center stage: 18,504
  • Theatre: 4,000

eastsider @ Mar 15 2007, 08:47 AM The size of Bobcats Arena is not a factor in the concert industry, ..... 'monsoon' date='Mar 15 2007, 09:52 AM' post='725674']

That makes absolutely no sense since the building of the Charlotte Coliseum was specifically to address the lack of a sizable arena in the Charlotte area.

That is simply not true. I was here when the debates were going on whether to vote to build it or not back in the early 1980s and the loudest argument for building it was that Charlotte was losing out on concerts which had the largest indoor stadium in the state. (as it does now) I believe the Coliseum could handle up to 24,000 for a concert so the Bobcats Arena is a good bit smaller.

^Circle talk. The only thing you have said in this thread is that I am incorrect. It's up to you to prove it with some facts other than opinion. I've already given the history of this issue in Charlotte and there has been nothing presented here that would say things have changed. If all you have is your opinion, then so be it, but it isn't definitive.

well, 2 of my most anticipated shows will be skipping charlotte in the next few months... FLAMING LIPS will be @ the disco rodeo in raleigh and BLONDE REDHEAD will be @ cats cradle in chapel hill. but, this comes as no suprise to me and i actually enjoy these planned excursions into the other parts of the state. they're kinda like field trips through my favorite state :)

last year i found myself on the road a number of times to see shows... most notably TOM WAITS in asheville.

OK, there are two issues being discussed here, one being the live music acts at the club level and the other being arena shows. I totally agree the the live music clubs are lacking in Charlotte. But, since the original poster stated that the new arena was lacking, that is what I have been focusing on. It seems to me that the new arena has not been a hindrance in drawing the touring arena shows to Charlotte and so far nobody has shown otherwise.

Unless you can explain why the business model is different now than what concert promoters faced 20 years ago, I would say that you are not on good ground to dispute what I have said.

Perhaps I'm totally blind but I haven't seen a band mentioned here that bypassed Charlotte in lieu of another stadium/arena in NC. The original post is inaccurate at best unless someone can come up with a list making a real argument that the new Charlotte Arena isn't accomodating larger acts.

Could it be that Greensboro has a heads up on the rest of the state, considering it is in the middle of the two largest metro areas in NC? Does it always have to be about size? Can it not be about something other than size attributing to the facts that a band or two here and there will bypass us in lieu of a stadium in a neighboring city?

Give me a list making an argument one way or another and I'll listen, otherwise this thread really has no basis IMO. The market is different in 2007 than it was in 1987 so there is no argument with conversations in the 80's versus what goes on now. So many variables have changed, even in the last few years, to argue this. What you can do is look at current data, of which hasn't been posted here.

Since I started this thread, I had no idea this would become such an issue!

Eastsider - I don't believe I said that Bobcats was lacking. I did re-read my original post and said that I was not impressed. As far as arenas go that is. Personally, I don't need the Taj Mahal to go see a concert.

To pretty much stay on topic - there are two VERY wide ends of the spectrum that I will toss out there to give an example of who is passing us by. Now everyone remember, they are two different artists - so keep that in mind.

I have a close friend who is a huge 311 fan. The last time they came here, they played Carowinds. Now my friend goes to Atlanta, since that is the closest they come to Charlotte and he said they will have people come from all over just to see them. It is almost impossible to get tickets in Atlanta. To be completely honest, I'm not sure what venue they normally go to there, but it would have to be a decent size - bigger than Tremont Music Hall to put into perspective.

Also, Josh Groban is going to Raleigh, but not here. This goes to the teenage girl and parent crowds that swoon over him. He may not be the KISS 95.1 artist of the hour, but has a huge following.

These are two examples that came to mind instantly.

I hope this kind of brings this thread back to the calm level of discussion we should be having. :rolleyes:

No, you did not say that Bobcats arena was lacking, but others did and it was my mistake to say it was you. However, you did say in your original post that promoters should be touting the attributes of the arena to draw more shows. My belief is they have and are drawing more shows to the arena than the coliseum on Tyvola. Of course I don't think that every tour is going to make a stop at the new arena, there isn't an arena in the country that does. Just saying that I have seen an increase in the shows booked since it has opened, and apparently many people who have posted on this thread have as well.

Also, 311 hasn't done an arena scale tour since the opening of this new arena. They have just done ampitheaters and large clubs (House of Blues type of size).

No, you did not say that Bobcats arena was lacking, but others did and it was my mistake to say it was you. However, you did say in your original post that promoters should be touting the attributes of the arena to draw more shows. My belief is they have and are drawing more shows to the arena than the coliseum on Tyvola. Of course I don't think that every tour is going to make a stop at the new arena, there isn't an arena in the country that does. Just saying that I have seen an increase in the shows booked since it has opened, and apparently many people who have posted on this thread have as well.

Also, 311 hasn't done an arena scale tour since the opening of this new arena. They have just done ampitheaters and large clubs (House of Blues type of size).

All the concerts that come to Charlotte seem to come only to the Bobcats Arena or the Verizon Ampitheater, which both highly overcharge patrons. (Although at Verizon you can sit on the grass for $10) What I cannot understand is why some of the middle range bands dont take advantage of the Cricket Arena. The only one I heard of that was there was Kelly Clarkson, but I'm sure the size of the Cricket Arena would be suitable for many mid size acts at reasonable prices.

Archived