Concerts - Where Are They?

JRNYP2C

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All the concerts that come to Charlotte seem to come only to the Bobcats Arena or the Verizon Ampitheater, which both highly overcharge patrons. (Although at Verizon you can sit on the grass for $10) What I cannot understand is why some of the middle range bands dont take advantage of the Cricket Arena. The only one I heard of that was there was Kelly Clarkson, but I'm sure the size of the Cricket Arena would be suitable for many mid size acts at reasonable prices.

That isn't true at all. There are many concerts that come to Ovens, in fact I recently saw The Fray with The Mute there back in January I believe (or maybe it was last month). A lot of the Christian concerts are done at Carowinds and I believe Knights Stadium even has a few as well.

The concerts at Carowinds and Knights stadium aren't headlining bands you would hear on the radio though. It could be just bad promoters working in Charlotte as they seem to only want to attain certain acts.

That simply isn't true, Knights Stadium and Carowinds have attracted many headliner bands, they just may not be from the genre of music that you are familiar with. I believe Third Day recently played at Knights Stadium for example, they are a major headliner in Christian rock for example. Carowinds also attracts many headliner bands (though I will admit I haven't kept up with in the last couple of years) such as Jars of Clay, NewsBoys, etc. Some of the bands attracted to those two venues are some of the biggest names in Christian music, so saying that those two venues attract bands or groups that you would never hear on the radio is false. It just depends what genre of music you listen to.

That simply isn't true, Knights Stadium and Carowinds have attracted many headliner bands, they just may not be from the genre of music that you are familiar with. I believe Third Day recently played at Knights Stadium for example, they are a major headliner in Christian rock for example. Carowinds also attracts many headliner bands (though I will admit I haven't kept up with in the last couple of years) such as Jars of Clay, NewsBoys, etc. Some of the bands attracted to those two venues are some of the biggest names in Christian music, so saying that those two venues attract bands or groups that you would never hear on the radio is false. It just depends what genre of music you listen to.

Ok, the last post before you someone said 311 and LeAnn Rimes which I can consider concerts that would draw a lot of people but I don't think Jars Of Clay or the "Christian" concerts at Knights Stadium represent any more than 1% of music that makes profit. Here are some acts that I am talking about...

in no particular order;

Carrie Underwood

Coldplay

Jack Johnson

Destiny's Child/Beyonce

Numerous country acts

Numerous rap/r& b acts

Numerous rock/alternative acts

Numerous metal acts

Headlining comics

seems like all the above have been neglected except for at Bobcats or Verizon

dont respond to this if youre going to tell me again that some independent band played at Knights Stadium

I'm talking about concerts that can draw between 2000-5000 not just a few hundred

but I don't think Jars Of Clay or the "Christian" concerts at Knights Stadium represent any more than 1% of music that makes profit.

dont respond to this if youre going to tell me again that some independent band played at Knights Stadium

I'm talking about concerts that can draw between 2000-5000 not just a few hundred

With all due respect I'd say Christian music has more than a 1% market share and I can also confirm that acts such as Jars of Clay, Third Day, etc. regularly sell out large venues. When the Christian concerts come to Carowinds for example they regularly sell out the entire Paladium, now I'm not sure exactly how many seats are in that particular venue but I'd wager it is more than a few hundred. I've also been to sold out Jars of Clay concerts for example that drew more than 5,000 people. Simply because a particular group or band isn't in your 99% doesn't mean it isn't in someone else's.

Last time I checked the bands that were listed weren't independent but perhaps they are just that to some. Just because a band doesn't get airplay on KISS 95.1 doesn't necessarily mean they aren't at the top of the play charts for their genre.

Honestly, I could skip almost all of the bands that play Verizon and the arena simply because they tend to be less personable and highly expensive. I think the best venue in Charlotte right now, simply for the atmosphere of a live show, is Tremont. The Milestone is also a good place to see a show for $5. The most I have paid for a ticket for a show is $30 at Cricket Arena, and that is because Muse (a group that scooped up a ton of 'Best Live Performance' awards) is playing April 26. I would much rather have twice as many small groups come through than just a line up of the big players.

Honestly, I could skip almost all of the bands that play Verizon and the arena simply because they tend to be less personable and highly expensive. I think the best venue in Charlotte right now, simply for the atmosphere of a live show, is Tremont. The Milestone is also a good place to see a show for $5. The most I have paid for a ticket for a show is $30 at Cricket Arena, and that is because Muse (a group that scooped up a ton of 'Best Live Performance' awards) is playing April 26. I would much rather have twice as many small groups come through than just a line up of the big players.

Haha, that's there way of getting you to buy more drink! Really I don't mind the hot temps in Tremont so much, as long as I have a cold beer in my hand I am a happy camper. I am not a rich man and that is why I like Tremont - for $20 I can see a good live show, have several drinks and still walk out with enough money for a hot dog. Try and do that at either Verizon or the arena.

• 2 months later...

So has anyone on here been lucky enough to score Smashing Pumpkins tickets for their residency at The Orange Peel in Asheville? Or know someone who lucked out? They sold out in less than ten minutes, I hate you if you do :tough: Pretty big coup for Asheville, the only other city they chose to spend a few weeks in was San Francisco. I guess there is a kindred spirit between the two towns. I did hear that a few area rock stations are holding contests to win tix though....

• 3 weeks later...

I can't find a better place than this for my question. Nonetheless I'm going to my first concert in Charlotte tomorrow for the Toby Keith concert and it says online that no alcohol is permitted in the parking lot, but I'm wondering how strict those rules are enforced. I've been to other events in Charlotte such as football games and the Nascar races and tailgating is almost encouraged. Can anyone with experience let me know what to expect. Thanks. Either way it should be a great show.

I can't find a better place than this for my question. Nonetheless I'm going to my first concert in Charlotte tomorrow for the Toby Keith concert and it says online that no alcohol is permitted in the parking lot, but I'm wondering how strict those rules are enforced. I've been to other events in Charlotte such as football games and the Nascar races and tailgating is almost encouraged. Can anyone with experience let me know what to expect. Thanks. Either way it should be a great show.

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of a concert that I sadly missed a few days ago, that only Charlotte & Atlanta had the honor - did anyone see the Fetchin' Bone's reunion show? Screw Billy Corgan's ego, Fetchin' Bones is the real reunion show of this summer, not to mention they are by far Charlotte's greatest band & rank as one of the greatest southern bands of the 80's (in my humble opinion).

...or are most people too young to remember Fetchin' Bones?

I have a good friend who worked for the Coliseum Authority and I asked her why we got bypassed so often. The answer is simply that the building is booked nearly all the time. The reasons BiLo and GSO Coliseum get more acts is that they 1. market themselves heavily to concert promoters and 2. don't have anchor tenants who get first dibbs.

If that's the case than Independence Arena should still be a viable alternative. I know it doesn't seat as much at GSO or BiLo (...and we have competition from the Colonial Center in Columbia now too, by the way...), but it's a nice venue for concerts. Plus acts don't have to worry about curtaining areas off like they would in GSO.

I saw STP and Godsmack there and it was a great venue.

Charlotte isn't the only city that has its residents question why they get passed over so much. When I lived in Columbus, OH, (the largest city in Ohio by far now), they would get passed over a lot w/ Cle, Cincy, or Pit for concerts, even though they had 2 new arenas (Nationwide Arena downtown and Schottenstein Center on OSU's campus), plus Polaris Amphitheater, and several other smaller venues from the 5k seat Veterans Auditorium, the 3500 seat Promowest Pavillion and even smaller clubs. I never understood it there either.

I will say, I've gotten to see Coldplay at Verizon, Red Hot Chilli Peppers at Bobcats Arena, Kill Hannah at Tremont, OAR at Ovens Auditorium, 30 Seconds to Mars, Finger Eleven and Chevelle, Pete Yorn, and Angie Aparro at Amos Southend(my favorite place for concerts in Charlotte), and Panic at the Disco, and My Chemical Romance w/ Muse @ Cricket Arena. I am also going to see 311 here very soon at Verizon. So, Charlotte is getting some good shows.

I do agree the local music scene is not very good at all. At least in Columbus, I did have that to look forward too, but it doesn't seem very good at all here.

Archived