Downtown Durham restaurant updates

JDC

I thought we could use a thread dedicated to all the new and improved restaurants in the downtown area instead of just lumping it all in with "Durham Revitalization Efforts."

I stopped by the old Jo & Joe's space on Main St. yesterday and took a look through the windows. For those of you who have been there before, you're not going to recognize the place when you see what they've done. The wall that separated the two rooms is gone, the bar is on the right side as you enter, and the whole place has a VERY Irish feel. There are even crucifixes (crucifii? :dontknow: ) on the lanterns that hang above each table. I'm guessing they're shooting for a St. Patty's Day opening.

Piazza Italia has been open for a little over two months now. It's in the old Milennium Music site in Brightleaf Square. The menu is reasonably authentic Italian-American fare and they've got a gelato shop right next door to the restaurant :thumbsup: .

Across the street is Alivia's, which has gotten some press for their outstanding espresso. There's ample outdoor seating, an excellent brunch menu, and the walls are clad in paneling from a conference room in the old Chesterfield Building. It's right on the corner of Gregson & Main, next to Devine's.

After some delays in renovations and rumours that the project was kaput, there's now a "Gatsby's" sign out in front of the building that once housed Bread & Kabob and Steak & Egg, so it looks like that's going to open one of these days as well.

And Fowler's is re-opening...well, sort of. The space that housed Fowler's for over 80 years is going to become yet another breakfast/lunch spot with an upscale grocer attached. If they're half as good as Fowler's was, this Durhamite will be pleased.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Steak and Kabob guys were deported (thats the rumor at least). LocoPops is opening up a shop downtown with their main kitchen facility go there as well. Raleigh should try to get one of these on F-Street in the future.

• 1 month later...

Rumour has it (well, it's on the Independent's website anyway) that the Irish-themed pub that's taking over the old Joe & Jo's space is to be called - drumroll please....

Bull McCabe's

LINK

From the Independent:

Bull McCabe's Irish Pub

427 W Main St

Durham (Durham)

682-3061

Dining Guide

Tavern/ Pub

Located where Joe & Jos used to be, Malachy Noone is set to open Durham's newest Irish Pub in May 2007. Mixed menu of traditional Irish fare like bangers and mash with American favorites like BBQ sandwiches and burgers.

It looks like there are bars in both Austin and NYC that also go by the name Bull McCabe's, so it may actually be a chain. Wouldn't surprise me, with the amount of work that went on in there to make it look "authentic."

The Bull McCabe's Irish Pub opened up in the old Joe & Jo's space this week. I had the pleasure of eating/drinking there last night. While the atmosphere is certainly a departure from the friendly, neighborhood feel that J&J's was known for, the food was pretty good. I recommend the fish & chips - I wouldn't dare order the pasta or the BBQ sandwich at a so-called Irish pub.

The Bull McCabe's Irish Pub opened up in the old Joe & Jo's space this week. I had the pleasure of eating/drinking there last night. While the atmosphere is certainly a departure from the friendly, neighborhood feel that J&J's was known for, the food was pretty good. I recommend the fish & chips - I wouldn't dare order the pasta or the BBQ sandwich at a so-called Irish pub.

Archived