Bike Lanes in Providence

mimesis

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are those actual bike lanes or just the residue from the triathlon this weekend?

I walked some of the blvd yesterday morning and did not notice any striping, and it doesn't seem like the type of thing that would get done quickly.

Nope, they are definitely bike lanes. They're painted solid white lines and have the painted bicycle with an arrow every so often. They weren't there yesterday, but they are there today.

Meanwhile, I was just out there again, and AGAIN, cars were driving in the new lanes. A postal vehicle was even waving to cars to get them out of the way, and they were just clueless. There needs to be some signage because it is clear that the typical Providence driver does not know what to do with these things!

As another frequent cyclist, I also hoped they'd put us to the left. The left side of the BLVD is the "traditional" serious riders lane for all the reasons Brick lists. Tuesday evenings there's usually a decent size group of mostly Brown people if you like that group ride thing.

But there's one obvious, overarching reason to site the lanes as they did: this configuration is the standard.

This is where the bike lane is on Allens Ave, where it will be on Broadway, etc. Yes, it will take quite some time to re-train these auto-peoples as to exactly what a bicycle is, but we'll get there.

Speaking of retraining drivers, I live right at the whole Pawtucket Division St silliness and it never fails to amuse. It is AMAZING what people will do to make a left turn. But that's another forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Not lanes but signage has gone up on Angell Street, I've noticed signs in two locations (anyone seen more). At Angell and Hope (maybe it was Brook) there is a "Bike Route" green sign with a small "Downtown" sign and an arrow under it, indicating that Angell is the Bike Route to Downtown. Also, at Angell and the Brown Walk there is a yellow "Bike" sign, something like Bikes in Traffic.

I'd like to see Angell and Waterman each made one lane, with parking on the left and a bike lane on the right.

• 2 months later...

So I'm walking back up the hill to the Whole Foods parking lot where we parked for Waterfire, and, at the corner of Olney, there's a sign that says "Bike Route: Pawtucket." And the arrow points up the hill on Olney.

I can understand how they'd think that Hope St is a better route, but it's just not reality. If you're going from PVD to Pawt on a bike, you're going to take N. Main. Why climb all those hills if you don't have to.

It's naive to think that cyclists aren't going to use N. Main. If you're on that road, you'll see a lot of cyclists on it.

Beyond the hills is the fact that because of all the damn construction and sloppy patch jobs, riding the side of Hope St. on a bike is kinda like taking a jackhammer to your ass.

That said, it kind of speaks to the fact that there is no good way to go. N. Main St. sucks for biking during heavy traffic hours.

So I'm walking back up the hill to the Whole Foods parking lot where we parked for Waterfire, and, at the corner of Olney, there's a sign that says "Bike Route: Pawtucket." And the arrow points up the hill on Olney. I can understand how they'd think that Hope St is a better route, but it's just not reality. If you're going from PVD to Pawt on a bike, you're going to take N. Main. Why climb all those hills if you don't have to.

I also saw that sign, and at first I couldn't understand it. But then I figured that somehow that sign got slightly turned around. And speaking of waterfire Saturday night, what a disaster as far as the traffic on 95 was concerned. Traffic was backed up for over 2 hours on both the North and South bound lanes. The North bound lanes eased up much earlier than the South side, however there were several accidents on the exit ramps near the Westin. There was also an accident further North of the mall near the Orms St exit. I think the state police need to be out on the highways on waterfire nights. Several years ago I was heading down to the cape on a Saturday afternoon when I came upon the North Dartmouth Mall exit. I saw a MA state police cruiser in the breakdown lane with it's over head lights on so I figured that it was an accident. When I got closer I could see what was going on and had to react rather quickly. There was a lane of cars, perhaps 20 or so, who were stopped, in the right driving lane of 195, who were waiting their turn to get on the exit ramp. At the last second I had to hit my brakes and work my way over to the center lane even as cars were speeding towards me. I thought the tropper was going to come after me but he didn't. Obviosly the trooper was there to warn approaching motorist to be alert. That's was a pretty dangerous situation. Of course the crowd was so huge on Saturday night because it was a special event to recognize Breast Cancer Awareness Week. And so ends this seasons waterfire lightings.

Part of the plan was parking at the State House lots on Orms, and the LED signs on the highways were supposed to be alerting people to which lots were open and not and how to get there. Don't know how that worked out. The mall was fully expecting to have to close their garage due to over capacity.

I didn't come into the city Friday night so I don't know how it went, but the PPD was serious as a heart attack about not repeating last year, when the whole downtown was literal and unending gridlock.

RIPTA would be great if the system ran sensibly enough to get people in and out in the evening. As it was, with this event, RIPTA was detoured all over creation, I think the 99 North Main was going to Pawtucket via the Point Street Bridge (yes, south to Point Street, then to Pawtucket).

Archived