Bike Lanes in Providence

mimesis

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Cool video about the "Idaho Stop" law now being considered in Oregon.

The 27-year-old Idaho law allows bicycles to treat stop signs as yield signs as long as the rolling stop does not create a danger. In reality, this is how most cyclist handle most stop signs. I'm kind of amazed that any state would make this a legal practice. Amazed because its innovative and helpful, not because it's a bad idea. Keeping your momentum is key to efficient cycling.

Cool video about the "Idaho Stop" law now being considered in Oregon.

The 27-year-old Idaho law allows bicycles to treat stop signs as yield signs as long as the rolling stop does not create a danger. In reality, this is how most cyclist handle most stop signs. I'm kind of amazed that any state would make this a legal practice. Amazed because its innovative and helpful, not because it's a bad idea. Keeping your momentum is key to efficient cycling.

The problem is, most cyclists who do this don't use it as a yield sign and instead just fly through it even though there might be a stopped car at the stop sign about to pull out into the intersection.

If cyclists paid attention as they should, it wouldn't be an issue. I'm still in favor of cyclists obeying the same traffic laws as cars.

• 1 month later...

Archived