Priorities

MadVlad

Since priorities seem to be an issue with some people here, let's get them out in the open. What do you guys see as the current priorities for the city? I think they are pretty self-evident, but maybe not. I also don't think the world should stop until these are done. I'll put mine in order of importance in my mind, feel free to break my lead and just throw them out there....

1) Safety. I feel this is the main reason Hartford is having as many problems as it is. Hartford is perceived (rightly or not) as being very dangerous. Nice to see an article on the front page of the Courant today saying crime is going down, but I'm skeptical if Joe average knows or cares. The Mayor intends on adding more cops, which is right on, good for him. Make Hartford a police-state for all I care, just get it safe, and better yet, perceived safe. And get more lights out on the streets. Seriously.

2) Schools: There are 2 main reasons people move from the city, safety, and schools. The Hartford school system isn't so great. With all things being equal, why would somebody subject their kids to a Hartford School when they could be in a better school somewhere else. This needs to be fixed asap. They need to study other places around the country that have turned their school systems around, and do what they did. Get it fixed, get it right. Families will stay/move back if the schools are safe and decent.

3) People living downtown. This ties in with many of the other topics here, but this is really, really important. This should be a VERY high priority for the City, and even the State. You'll find a lot of the other problems just go away if there were more people living in downtown.

4) Blight removal: Much of the city looks shabby, or blatantly is shabby. Sometimes shabby is a nice way to put it. The city is supposedly taking steps to curb and remove blight. Good, but I'll believe it when I see it. They need to install some protocols for owners to make sure their property is upkept. Give them a sliding time period to get it fixed up. Penalties could start at fines, then larger fines, then loss of the property. Plenty of greta buildings in the city that are literally falling down from lack of care. Well, I care.

5) Property taxes: Get this changed and settled. That is all.

6) Business incentives: Right now, no business has an incentive to be in the city. The city needs to figure out why it loses businesses and fix it. Parking problems? Tax problems? Space? Work with the company to fix it. These problems are not insurmountable, the city and it's management is lazy. Oh we called twice, they didn't call back. Bullsh!t. MetLife should have been called every single day to prevent them from moving.

7) Reasons to be here: People that don't live or work in Hartford need a reason to be here. Bars are fine, but there are bars everywhere. I can get a drink in Cromwell, Berlin, New Britain, Farmington... I don't need to come downtown. I can shop on the Berlin Turnpike, Buckland, Westfarms, West Hartford Center.... I don't need to come to Hartford. Hartford needs to get things that are unique. The problem is people that would fund unique things are spooked, it's easier to do it somewhere else. Get an ESPNZone and see how packed it is....

Discuss

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since priorities seem to be an issue with some people here, let's get them out in the open. What do you guys see as the current priorities for the city? I think they are pretty self-evident, but maybe not. I also don't think the world should stop until these are done. I'll put mine in order of importance in my mind, feel free to break my lead and just throw them out there....

1) Safety. I feel this is the main reason Hartford is having as many problems as it is. Hartford is perceived (rightly or not) as being very dangerous. Nice to see an article on the front page of the Courant today saying crime is going down, but I'm skeptical if Joe average knows or cares. The Mayor intends on adding more cops, which is right on, good for him. Make Hartford a police-state for all I care, just get it safe, and better yet, perceived safe. And get more lights out on the streets. Seriously.

2) Schools: There are 2 main reasons people move from the city, safety, and schools. The Hartford school system isn't so great. With all things being equal, why would somebody subject their kids to a Hartford School when they could be in a better school somewhere else. This needs to be fixed asap. They need to study other places around the country that have turned their school systems around, and do what they did. Get it fixed, get it right. Families will stay/move back if the schools are safe and decent.

3) People living downtown. This ties in with many of the other topics here, but this is really, really important. This should be a VERY high priority for the City, and even the State. You'll find a lot of the other problems just go away if there were more people living in downtown.

4) Blight removal: Much of the city looks shabby, or blatantly is shabby. Sometimes shabby is a nice way to put it. The city is supposedly taking steps to curb and remove blight. Good, but I'll believe it when I see it. They need to install some protocols for owners to make sure their property is upkept. Give them a sliding time period to get it fixed up. Penalties could start at fines, then larger fines, then loss of the property. Plenty of greta buildings in the city that are literally falling down from lack of care. Well, I care.

6) Business incentives: Right now, no business has an incentive to be in the city. The city needs to figure out why it loses businesses and fix it. Parking problems? Tax problems? Space? Work with the company to fix it. These problems are not insurmountable, the city and it's management is lazy. Oh we called twice, they didn't call back. Bullsh!t. MetLife should have been called every single day to prevent them from moving.

7) Reasons to be here: People that don't live or work in Hartford need a reason to be here. Bars are fine, but there are bars everywhere. I can get a drink in Cromwell, Berlin, New Britain, Farmington... I don't need to come downtown. I can shop on the Berlin Turnpike, Buckland, Westfarms, West Hartford Center.... I don't need to come to Hartford. Hartford needs to get things that are unique. The problem is people that would fund unique things are spooked, it's easier to do it somewhere else. Get an ESPNZone and see how packed it is....

Discuss

5. Schools. I agree they're in trouble, but I think they're mainly in trouble because of the city's demographics. The vast majority of students come from lower income homes with less educated or educationally-minded parents. Those professionals in the city who have children can afford to send them to private schools. I applaud the few who don't because my experience with the schools has been positive (I coached debate at HPHS), and I think they provide a fine education for those willing and able to take advantage. By no fault of their own, however, most of the city's children are neither willing nor able, and the key to improving the schools is to attract the middle class back into the city. Gentrification mainly benefits Kingswood Oxford and the other private schools in the area b/c well-paid city professionals will still send their kids to "the best" schools. It's the middle class who would have no choice but to send their kids to city schools and, ironically, city schools would therefore improve. We've already learned that throwing money at the schools is not the solution. This is a regional and state issue, and somebody with a conscience must step up to the plate to solve this heart-wrenching problem.

I'll add to the list later on when I'm home, but I just had to say this is a spot on analysis of the school system. As messed up as it sounds, it's really not the schools it's the kids. Not all of them, but unfortunately most. On the opposite side though I went to school with kids from the West End who I would imagine are pretty much just like you guys and got the same level of education as you got in your suburban districts. So, some people, middle and upper middle or even upper class have and continue to make Hartford schools work for them. Many of the struggling kids would struggle wherever they went to school. Of course some would surely blossom in a more condusive environment as well. Education is a social issue more than a municipal one in many ways.

Hey! Who you calling slum too?

Anyways, speaking of school. They need to make the school so much fun like in Florida because there school down there make kids want to come to school allot so yes we need to do something that draw kid to school more because no wonder seeing student walking around in the hall ways or skipping class but im must talking about middle school or high school people and I be seeing them walking out of the school middle of the day so um yeah they need to drawn student not boring them because school for me feels a bit boring sometimes. :rolleyes::dontknow::unsure:

MadVlad:

Again, you have some Great points! Some of the issues are on target. I'll comment on them.

I'd love to see Hartford light up after dark. I'd love to see police on the street -- not to harass but to keep people from doing ILLEGAL things. I'd love to see programs downtown to get people out EVERY NIGHT.

This is where I think vouchers would work -- and private schools, too. Children are required to be at school until they are 16. If you are in a class where 80% of the kids are there BECAUSE they are required by law, they will goof off -- so the others won't get much done. If the kids who want to learn needs to be away from the 'space taker uppers', so vouchers are needed.

I believe that kids should be in uniforms (not shirt & ties, but not baggy pants that would fit an elephant.). Also, parents should be there to help out.

True! I think people would move back if there were a better transit system. Also, DT needs to have places open on the weekend. I would love to see a canoe/boat rental place at State Street Landing. Also a community dock for boaters who live in Downtown.

4) Blight removal: Much of the city looks shabby, or blatantly is shabby. Sometimes shabby is a nice way to put it. The city is supposedly taking steps to curb and remove blight. Good, but I'll believe it when I see it. They need to install some protocols for owners to make sure their property is upkept. Give them a sliding time period to get it fixed up. Penalties could start at fines, then larger fines, then loss of the property. Plenty of great buildings in the city that are literally falling down from lack of care. Well, I care.

Yes... blight needs to be addressed.

Nothing to be added!! you said it!

nothing to be added. Taxes needs to be lowered.

True. Hartford needs to be unique. What would it be? Hartford needs to have weekly events, maybe on week a cricket game to introduce Americans to the sport, another week -- a festival to honor Sam Colt.

Discuss

I had responses for 4-7, but lost it (net problem)

So...

4. Work with the nicer neighborhoods, least run down. Then build expanding from those.

5-6. Lower taxes, definitely. It will be a reason companies want to stay in Hartford and CT in general.

7. New Haven is by far the city to be in CT. South Norwalk is arguably second. Even people who live near Hartford don't find good enough reason to go there. Bar scene is better elsewhere, the malls are outside town, entertainment is often found outside city lines. Work purposes and anything at HCC (which is slipping due to age and competition) are the only reasons to be around Hartford. Def. needs to be addressed, what does Hartford not have compared to SoNo and New Haven... at least catch up and then be unique.

You're going to fight me over the internet?

I'm serious, your language skills are very, very bad. If you want to get a job when you're older, I'd suggest paying attention in school. It's not boring if you want to learn. And if you don't, nobody will take you seriously.

I concur... City leaders need to look at making Hartford more business friendly. The anti-business culture is only hurting the city, not helping it. Second impeach Gov. Rell if she decides to raise taxes..... It seems like every problem the State ever encounters involves raising taxes!!!!

Archived